Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-11-2008, 06:25 PM

546 posts, read 1,817,843 times

Advertisements

Just when I thought my 2 and 4 year old could not destroy anything else--they took pitchers and poured water from the upstairs tub all over the floor. I don't mean just a little bit...I mean several pitchers full. I forgot to drain the tub and I think they found this to be a fun project. It only took them a few minutes to flood the entire tile bathroom floor with over an inch of water. We mopped it up the best we could and as quickly as we could but water leaked down and made some spots on the ceiling above the kitchen.

What is the proper way to fix this? There are no holes, creases or warped spots that we can see. It is just slightly discolored on the ceiling where the water dried.
Can we just paint over it? A friend told us we should replace all of the drywall on the ceiling but the ceiling connects to the family room so that means we would have to replace the whole thing?? That seems kind of crazy since it is just a few discolored spots....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-11-2008, 06:30 PM

3,503 posts, read 19,880,155 times
Oil based Kilz paint. make sure it is dry, paint it with OIL based Kilz, then paint it any color you want. Kilz goes on and you may or may not still see the spots. but it seals the stains and paint will cover it....poof....gone.
With kids like that, I'd buy a gallon and keep it on hand for the next disaster. Don't ya just love em?????

Old 11-11-2008, 07:42 PM

4,705 posts, read 25,289,485 times
If the drywall just got wet, and did not get soft or damaged, then Kilz and repainting is the way to go.

Old 11-12-2008, 07:06 AM

652 posts, read 2,663,242 times
I third that!
I had the same problem a couple of yrs ago. one section I had to cut out and replace (maybe a 2 x2 square) the other section I didnt have to. If it is soft at all you need to cut out the damage. Kilz works wonders although you may have to do 2 coats.

Old 11-12-2008, 07:28 AM

151 posts, read 798,570 times
Fourth that!

And been there, done that, on two houses now. I hope that the dears in my family are now old enough now (7-16) not to flood the bathroom floor, and to make sure the curtain liner is INSIDE the tub.....(that's next after the pitchers! Watch out!)

But ya never know!!! Buy the gallon, and a paintstick from Sears.

Old 11-12-2008, 12:19 PM

30,708 posts, read 79,764,742 times
You may want ot ignore it for a few years until the kids are done ruiining things in your house. Why fix it just to have them overflow the bath, splash water out or siomething similar and the just have to do it all over. Dont look at it and wait until they are older. Or trade them in for some different kids

Old 11-17-2008, 08:59 PM

546 posts, read 1,817,843 times
Thanks so much for all of the advice. The spots are not too bad and the drywall was not damaged so it seems we will be doing some painting....a friend of mine also recommended to wait until they are older because they are probably going to do it again. We have them taking a bath in the downstairs tub now!!

I wonder what is next???? They are forcing me to learn some great home improvement skills

Old 11-18-2008, 08:32 AM

30,708 posts, read 79,764,742 times
When they start slamming the doors (and breaking the door jambs) just pull the hinge pins and put the door in the basement for a month. After a month with no door, the slamming will stop for several years (then you get to do it again)

Old 11-18-2008, 09:26 AM

5,245 posts, read 16,422,203 times
Yep, Kilz and paint.

And don't think it'll end when the kids grow up. My daughter at 14 decided to take on a painting project in her room. She actually did a really nice job. It's a loft style room so it's got those funky angled ceilings. She painted cream on the ceiling with vertical tan and light blue 14 and 18 inch wide stripes. Matched her bedroom set. Looked awesome.

But when she was done, because she's a lazy teen, she left the paintbrushes in a bucket of water to soak overnight so she could clean them the next day. (She got the painting done late at night) In the middle of the night one of the dogs decided they wanted to sleep with her and forced her bedroom door open. But pushing it hard it knocked over the 4 foot high framed mirror that she had leaning against the door. That fell and knocked over the bucket of tinted water which spilled all over her new carpet.

The best part? Her bedroom is right above ours. And the paint water was right above our bed. And the water that went through the floor, just happened to be right over me. So here I am having horrible dreams anyway and something starts dripping on my face at 2AM. What a nice way to wake up. Ugh!!

Old 11-18-2008, 09:35 AM

23,589 posts, read 70,358,767 times
"Just when I thought my 2 and 4 year old could not destroy anything else--they took pitchers and poured water from the upstairs tub all over the floor. I don't mean just a little bit...I mean several pitchers full. I forgot to drain the tub and I think they found this to be a fun project. It only took them a few minutes to flood the entire tile bathroom floor with over an inch of water. We mopped it up the best we could and as quickly as we could but water leaked down and made some spots on the ceiling above the kitchen.

What is the proper way to fix this?"

Buy a gallon of the aforementioned Kilz, and pour it in a large broiler pan. Tie the older child to a sturdy pole and dip him into the Kilz, then hoist him to the ceiling and swab him around to cover the stains. It is very important to use the OLDER child and have the younger one watch. Otherwise, the older will decide that this is a kewl idea and repeat it when you are gone, using the younger child and a bowl of pea soup.

Of course, the way to prevent such disasters in the first place is called celibacy.

Out of curiosity, why did you have pitchers (plural) in the bathroom? I'm sure you must have an entertaining explanation, since you have children.

No children were harmed in the writing of this post, much to the dismay of the cat, who is looking very furry and would absorb a lot of paint... .

PS - never hire an architect who wants to place a toilet directly above a food prep area...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House