Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-12-2008, 02:45 PM

841 posts, read 4,839,467 times

Advertisements

I have hired this electrician before and liked his work. So I just hired him again to install three 6 inch canned lighting, three 4 inch canned lighting, an exhaust fan (exhaust pipe was already there), and switch out lighting over my desk area in the kitchen. He also switched out a light fixture on the exterior wall of my garage. He charged me $90.00 an hour plus materials.
Bill came to $1,000!
Does this sound reasonable for the work performed? Any electricians out there that can tell me if I was taken for a ride this time around?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-12-2008, 02:46 PM

44,254 posts, read 64,351,440 times
You found an electrician who only charges 90 bucks an hour for labor?!

Old 11-12-2008, 02:48 PM

3,463 posts, read 7,305,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by summers19 View Post
I have hired this electrician before and liked his work. So I just hired him again to install three 6 inch canned lighting, three 4 inch canned lighting, an exhaust fan (exhaust pipe was already there), and switch out lighting over my desk area in the kitchen. He also switched out a light fixture on the exterior wall of my garage. He charged me $90.00 an hour plus materials.
Bill came to $1,000!
Does this sound reasonable for the work performed? Any electricians out there that can tell me if I was taken for a ride this time around?
What were you expecting? Apparently you had a figure in mind.

Old 11-12-2008, 03:03 PM

I think I was expecting between $500-$700 total. A poster was correct in saying he charged me upwards for the materials what he paid wholesale for. I expect that, too. It took him eight hours to complete the tasks, and I'm wondering if he padded the time a bit. I was absent for about five hours of that time.
I think I'm shocked because he did electrical work for me this past summer and the prices all seemed reasonable to me. He fixed some home inspection things, and brought electricity out to the backyard via underground.

Old 11-12-2008, 03:07 PM

1,389 posts, read 3,533,313 times
You did not get a quote/estimate for labor first?

Old 11-12-2008, 03:54 PM

30,708 posts, read 79,793,239 times
Eight hours for that much work does not seem unreasonable. Did he have to run wire to the lights? Did he install switches where there were none before? Did he patch and paint? If he did those things, you got a deal.

Old 11-12-2008, 04:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
Eight hours for that much work does not seem unreasonable. Did he have to run wire to the lights? Did he install switches where there were none before? Did he patch and paint? If he did those things, you got a deal.
I don't know the extent to which he ran wires. He put in recessed lighting where there used to be ceiling fixtures in one area, and an exhaust fan in another area. He put in dimmer switches where the original switches were. He did not patch and paint.

Old 11-12-2008, 04:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chorizo View Post
You did not get a quote/estimate for labor first?
I'm usually anal about this. And because he performed work for us before, I had a ballpark in mind. But unfortunately, this time I screwed myself by not asking him for a quote. Never again. However, for everything and everyone else, I have gotten quotes before work was agreed to.

Old 11-12-2008, 04:39 PM

12,083 posts, read 38,849,310 times
Been an Electrician for 27 years here. Without seeing the job first hand, and what had to be done exactly to change those fixtures, 8 hours sounds about right. The one about removing existing lights and installing recessed lighting is where the time would be. Those can either go real smooth, or be a living nightmarish hell on Earth. I would think 8 hours would be spot on, and if $90 an hour is the going rate in your area, that isn't a bad deal. In all honesty, for replacing existing lights with recessed lighting I figure it is going to take 1 1/2 hours per fixture if I have to give an estimate, just to be on the safe side because you just never know what you are going to run into up there. If the time comes in less, you charge for time actually worked, if it goes over, you eat the time.

Side Note: Wish I could charge $90 an hour here. That is way higher than going rate for this area, and an honest double the rate for Northern Maine where I just left.

Old 11-12-2008, 05:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bydand View Post
Been an Electrician for 27 years here. Without seeing the job first hand, and what had to be done exactly to change those fixtures, 8 hours sounds about right. The one about removing existing lights and installing recessed lighting is where the time would be. Those can either go real smooth, or be a living nightmarish hell on Earth. I would think 8 hours would be spot on, and if $90 an hour is the going rate in your area, that isn't a bad deal. In all honesty, for replacing existing lights with recessed lighting I figure it is going to take 1 1/2 hours per fixture if I have to give an estimate, just to be on the safe side because you just never know what you are going to run into up there. If the time comes in less, you charge for time actually worked, if it goes over, you eat the time.

Side Note: Wish I could charge $90 an hour here. That is way higher than going rate for this area, and an honest double the rate for Northern Maine where I just left.
Thanks for your thoughts. With everyone's thoughts put together, I feel better about the amount of money I paid.
Thanks, everyone. I can relax a little better now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House