Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-16-2008, 07:26 PM

1,802 posts, read 8,140,561 times

Advertisements

I first posted this in the "pets" forum because I figured that pet lovers would understand my wish to evict my new tenants without inflicting any harm. I figured I'd also post here, because it really is a house question and not a pet question.

A family of birds (and I don't know what kind other than they are very small - maybe wrens?) has invaded my house by tearing off the screen to the outside vent that connects with the powder room exhaust fan. Anyone have any idea as to the best way to get them out while inflicting the least amount of harm to them? I'd rather not hurt them, which is why I'm thinking of waiting until after winter, but hopefully before they've laid any eggs in the spring.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-16-2008, 07:39 PM

28,803 posts, read 47,487,419 times
Use a smock or long sleeved shirt. "Herd" them towards the person holding it. Keeping the jacket/shirt open (hold by the ends of the shoulder area) throw it straight up in front of the bird just before it gets to you. It can take some practice and you will be surprised at how fast they can dodge, but this method allows capture without injury.

Make sure what you use is light fabric. We used to use store smocks when I worked in a garden center. People in stores still wear them. The smock/shirt will fold over the bird, trapping it without hurting it because it's light and forms to them instead of just abruptly stopping them.

Did it for years and never had an injury.

Old 11-16-2008, 07:47 PM

1,802 posts, read 8,140,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tek_Freek View Post
Use a smock or long sleeved shirt. "Herd" them towards the person holding it. Keeping the jacket/shirt open (hold by the ends of the shoulder area) throw it straight up in front of the bird just before it gets to you. It can take some practice and you will be surprised at how fast they can dodge, but this method allows capture without injury.

Make sure what you use is light fabric. We used to use store smocks when I worked in a garden center. People in stores still wear them. The smock/shirt will fold over the bird, trapping it without hurting it because it's light and forms to them instead of just abruptly stopping them.

Did it for years and never had an injury.
They're actually not flying loose in the house; they're behind the ceiling in the vent that connects to the fan. Sorry - I guess I didn't explain that very well!

Old 11-16-2008, 08:08 PM

7,474 posts, read 22,810,796 times
My daughter has a pigeon problem in her condo. The somehow gain access to her attic, and then work their way down to her return air vent. The first time, we didn't notice them for about a week, so by the time we unscrewed the vent, they were pretty weak from hunger and thirst. We put on gloves and used a big bath towel and it was easy to grab them without injury. We took them outside and released them.
We had a pigeon guy come out and put up screens to keep them out, but they still got in. We had to do it three times over as few months before we finally got them stopped...

Old 11-17-2008, 05:38 AM

5,987 posts, read 11,630,067 times
Call Alfred Hitchcock?

Old 11-17-2008, 09:46 AM

28,803 posts, read 47,487,419 times
Buy one of those air-horns-on-a-can, blast it at them from inside (you can do this?) then cover the torn screen before they come back.

Old 11-17-2008, 10:45 AM

23,517 posts, read 69,907,878 times
House wrens are sweet little birds. Build 'em a birdhouse under the eaves or in another protected place on the house. Pigeons, OTOH...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House