Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-23-2008, 07:58 AM

8,900 posts, read 15,939,050 times

Advertisements

So here's the deal...I'm renting a semi-basement apartment which has steam heat. I moved in last December. When I first moved in, I didn't experience this loud noise when the heat came on. It didn't start until about February. Anyway, the heat comes on, then after about 15 minutes, I hear this really loud clanging noise in the pipes in the ceiling. It goes on for about 5 minutes, stops for a little, then comes back. I listened closely and it sounded like water was rushing through the pipes, and then that clanging noise started. I'm starting to lose sleep over it, it's pretty bad. I told my landlord last winter and he said I have to deal with it or have my heat shut off. He's a nice old man, but I wasn't expecting that sort of response. Maybe he was just having a bad day. So because of that experience, i'm afraid to bring it up again.

Also, the radiator in my bedroom is starting to leak. Water fills up in this handle thing, then starts to drip out.

I'm thinking the radiators might need to be bled, do you think? My landlord told me never to touch the radiators, so I wouldn't do it. My parents are coming up for Thanksgiving, so my dad would hopefully bleed them for me and see if that helps.

My landlord sometimes asks me how the heat is, and I always say it's ok. I bite my lip trying not to bring up the sound. But I can't keep losing sleep from this noise. I put on my headphones and I can still hear it, that's how loud it is.

So what's your advice? Any idea what it might be?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-23-2008, 08:49 AM

5,987 posts, read 11,674,449 times
Is it steam heat or hot water? I am not familiar with steam. If hot water heat has air (needs to be bled) it will sound like there are marbles rolling thru the pipes.

Old 11-23-2008, 09:08 AM

It's steam heat. It does resemble marbles rolling around inside the pipes though.

Old 11-23-2008, 09:31 AM

5,715 posts, read 15,045,746 times
You should go to This Old House website and search. I saw one of their shows about steam heat.... everything from what you're describing to installing and repairing it. If you have radiators, it seems to me that the noise you're describing can be caused from them not setting level -- for one thing -- if I remember correctly.

You may need this information to help your landlord.

Good luck!

Old 11-23-2008, 09:58 AM

I figured out that the leak is coming from the valve.

Old 11-23-2008, 11:56 AM

The leak is obvious. Valves can be tightened or replaced.

The noise is not caused from the leak, most likely.

I just moved out of a house with a boiler and radiator heat so I watched that show with much interest. Check out their website!

Old 11-23-2008, 12:20 PM

I did. Couldn't really get much information. Thanks for the site though.

Anyone else?

Old 11-23-2008, 01:04 PM

41,813 posts, read 51,051,710 times
I don't know much about steam and I beleive there is two different types of sytems. The most common is one that uses a single pipe to supply the radiator and acts a return line for the water once it condensates within the radiator. The radiator (or pipes) supplying it should be slightly off level so the condensed water can return to the boiler. If they are not the water will accumulate in a pool causing the banging.

Old 11-23-2008, 01:43 PM

Do you guys think that bleeding the radiators will help with the noise?

Old 11-23-2008, 08:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
I don't know much about steam and I beleive there is two different types of sytems. The most common is one that uses a single pipe to supply the radiator and acts a return line for the water once it condensates within the radiator. The radiator (or pipes) supplying it should be slightly off level so the condensed water can return to the boiler. If they are not the water will accumulate in a pool causing the banging.
That's what I remember about the This Old House show on Steam Radiators.

Bleeding them won't fix it on steam. It's a different system.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House