U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-03-2008, 11:20 AM

8,307 posts, read 37,113,223 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cosmic View Post
You got one of them situations with no good choices.

Yeah, you can get a new solid door and attempt to rehang it in the old frame. But I doubt it will be that easy. That threshold also looks a bit thin, ain't all the best looking. Plus you normally don't just mess around with the hinge placements, there is also some work with a block plane to get it to all fit reasonably well. Hopefully it is a tad oversized, got a bit of material to work with. Fit is never really that good on an external door. Mess around with shim inserts on the jams, naw...... never that good a fit.

I did a lot of them as interior doors. Was common in old New England shacks on major remodels to try to replace some interior doors if they were in bad shape. We had tons of old doors, was good money in replacing with period used doors but again you got into the joys of rehanging it in the existing frame. That could work and you got a workable fit, didn't have to seal, sloppy fit was ok. Wasn't too bad if they got painted and covered up all the sins.

The alternative of replacing with a prehung door could be an all day job. Just the work to get the old frame out. I might pull the interior casing and see what that can tell you. Does it look like there is an exterior casing under that siding? If so, that gives something for the storm door and siding to hang on too temporary while the old frames gets pulled. That is a ton of work to mess around with the siding, pull the storm door and do it the normal way. Might try to split out the old frame first, it can be done, leave the storm door in place. Slip the new prehung frame in the best possible. Seeing what the rough opening and how that old frame is in there would be nice to know before even buying a new door. I would avoid messing with that siding if at all possible. Being pulled up over that storm door flange is the worse scenario you can get.

Anywho that would be my approach. You never love those jobs. Sure do not want to do them for money. Same with my present basement door, knew it was going to be a bear going into it. Yeah, it sure was, four days later it was installed all ship shape and Bristol. You never enjoy the experience. Pack a lunch, bring the full tool bag.
This is a good point. I opted to replace the entire unit on one of my exterior doors and learned some hard lessons about a square and plumb doorframe in a not square and plumb rough opening and how much of a pain it is to case, but I suppose I would have learned hard lessons about fitting a new slab in the old frame as well.

I did all the interior doors in my house and was basing my recommendation on the perceived difficulty of replacing those doors versus demolishing old door frame, installing new door frame, making new door frame work right, installing new threshold, installing new weatherstripping, retrofitting old casing to fit new frame or buying new casing and retrofitting it to fit new frame, etc. etc. I had not really considered that a less than perfect fit is fine for interior but would be much less fine for an exterior. Making that sucker fit perfectly would require some surgery. Touche.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-03-2008, 01:27 PM

3,020 posts, read 24,895,037 times
Default Not designed to be maintained......

You see this so often, especially in newer type houses.

This is a prime example of it. That door was originally installed never to ever be replaced. The present installation looks nice, well sort of (chuckle).

Especially if you look at the top of the outside screen door. That puppy is right up there flat snug, zero wiggle room to do nothing. Normally in these cases you can pop the siding back a bit and get the storm door off, then either leave the outside casing in place or remove it and reinstall after the new door frame is set. That allows you to nail everything up proper. Storm door back on to hide the nails. This one would not be that easy even for a very experienced fellow. Sure would not be cheap. Good chance of getting a horror show.

The assumption being that is actually vinyl siding. If it ain't Katy Bar the Door. But the fit up is so tight, it is never intended to be maintained. You see it so much in the newer houses. They install that siding so tight around openings, roof, etc. Lots of luck fixing or replacing anything. You would think them inspectors would point out these type lil situations, naw not in this World. Sorry you bought a pig that is a nightmare to maintain. Especially in things like the roof, some of those are a real dream to do a replacement. Yeah, it looks fancy because they did a sequence of steps that allows this to go on, before that. Lots of luck replacing that, you going to have to undo the steps, in reverse sequence. About like taking the engine out of a car to replace the spark plugs.

There is more to looking at a house and what they like to call an inspection before you buy it. A good experienced contractor will pick up on these type installations and fully understand the consequences. Just another way to play the Gotcha Game. Nobody ever tells you until it is too late.

Not that any of it can't be done. You better have the right guys applying for the job.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House