Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-25-2011, 07:20 AM

34,765 posts, read 56,596,486 times

Advertisements

A friend is having a new roof put on a property they own here in Connecticut. The house is currently a rental but will be sold in the next year or so, so they are not looking to spend big $ for a new roof. The house is a modest home (1,200 square foot cape) in a modest neighborhood so again spending money on a fancy roof is not logical.

One company has proposed to use CertainTeed Seal King roofing which has a 25 year warranty. The problem is that this product is not showing up on the CertainTeed website. Does anyone know it? Is it considered a decent roof? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Jay
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-25-2011, 08:34 AM

34,090 posts, read 82,639,942 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
...a new roof put on... a rental
...will be sold in the next year or so...
...not looking to spend big $ for a new roof.
fwiw: Unless that roof is actively leaking...
they're (probably) better off to NOT replace the roofing.
And even if it is... they're still (probably) better off just patching that.

Quote:
CertainTeed Seal King roofing...
...not showing up on the CertainTeed website.
No specific knowledge of the product...
But... let me google that for you

If they do put new roofing on a property due to be sold soon...
the transferable warranty is the thing to be focusing on.
Ideally one from a Major vendor and the best local contractor.

hth

Old 10-25-2011, 09:05 AM

17,440 posts, read 65,726,318 times
XT 25/Seal King 25 Roof Shingles-
This is a 3-tab style shingle with a standard strip look. They carry a 25 year warranty with a wind resistance of 60 mph for 5 years. In addition, an algae resistance warranty is offered for 10 years.
This is the next to the cheapest shingle you can get from CT. The only thing cheaper is their 20yr shingle.
CT, and just about every other manufacturer are phasing out 20yr shingles. You can still find them around but, it will be limited colors and quantities.

Old 10-25-2011, 09:23 AM

28,455 posts, read 85,095,738 times
I tend to agree with Mr. Rational on many house maintenance issues (and his logic makes since even on this one) BUT I know from experience that a "ratty looking" but non-leaky roof on any home, ESPECIALLY a modest home that will likely attract first time home buyers AND their well intentioned but butt-insky relatives (yes father-in-laws, I mean you...) will be a DEAL KILLER based more on emotion than logic ... No dad wants his kids / grandkids living in a place with a roof that looks bad.

It makes sense to improve the "curb appeal" of a ratty looking roof with value priced new roof. CertainTeed is a decent brand, it ranks beneath GAF and OwensCorning in terms of warranty / quality but if the price is right I see no reason to spend more on a modest type starter home.

Old 10-25-2011, 11:09 AM

34,090 posts, read 82,639,942 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chet everett View Post
I tend to agree with Mr. Rational on many house maintenance issues
(and his logic makes since even on this one)
Thanks

...that will likely attract first time home buyers ...
That is the point though. This house isn't one of those and absent other unknown details ...
I assume that would remain the case.

In the event of and/or when the time comes to actually sell...
I would go for the GAF as well (and will be next spring).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House