Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-04-2008, 01:07 PM

5,296 posts, read 6,471,570 times

Advertisements

I've got 2 upright vacuums and it's the darndest thing,they both have the same stupid problem...no suction! And the one we just bought this year.

I'm thinking maybe there's something wrapped up underneath b/c the brushes aren't working either.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-04-2008, 02:44 PM

1,853 posts, read 9,686,686 times
I'm thinking the belt is broken.

Old 12-04-2008, 03:01 PM

Already?

Old 12-04-2008, 04:46 PM

3,503 posts, read 19,883,712 times
the belt came off or broke. should be a self repair if you get a new belt.

Old 12-04-2008, 05:01 PM

7,474 posts, read 22,878,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StuckPA View Post
Already?
Yes, they are cheaply made, and cheap to replace. They recommend replacing them every couple of months, or more often if neccessary..
It sucks having vacuum that doesn't...!

Old 12-04-2008, 05:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donn2390 View Post
Yes, they are cheaply made, and cheap to replace. They recommend replacing them every couple of months, or more often if neccessary..
Well we bought a Bissell(from WalMart,go figure)...used it like twice and now this? I think it's still under warranty,I'm not throwing more money into it if it's gonna get like this. Reminds me of that Ford I had...

Old 12-04-2008, 08:58 PM

3,020 posts, read 25,729,895 times
Default The no suction part is probably because it is plugged....

If it is a fairly new vacuum, the no suction part is probably because something is in the line or innards. Things like socks, giant dust bunnies with string, the list is endless. Even bits of paper will do it.

It is a simple matter of dis-assemble to find the problem. The other potential cause is poor design. Some of them the nut assembly that holds on the blower thingee will strip out or is just plain dumb, some will be defective by design. The blower wheel is like a pump and that is what cause the vacuum, it blows but the make up air is suction. Sometimes the wheel which has spiral blades isn't turning because its nut that attaches it to the power shaft, no longer holds tight. Just a matter of looking and test trying to see all the parts are working and nothing is plugging the flow paths. More common cause is some type of plugged path, especially if they are pretty new looking. Also check the filters, if they are plugged, usually you get no flow / suction.

The brushes probably aren't turning because either a belt is broken or slipped or something in the control lever is wrong. Some vacuums, a control level can start / stop the brushes as desired.

Vacs are not difficult to dis-assemble and troubleshoot. If you hear sound and motor seems to run, you got power and the on / off switch is Ok. Trace the problem from there. Sometimes you can take like a strong shop vac and suck the plug back out the pick up line. Other times you got to fiddle, poke and mess around to pull it out with something like a wire with a hook. With enough disassemble you will see it.

One war story, we used to have these yards sales. Vacuums were hot sellers. Go out on garbage day and could find lots in the trash, many brand new looking. Most just had a plugged flow path somewhere. Pull out the critter, good as new. Were hot sellers in the spring with a big annual sale. Ocassionally you would get some lady who would say, I just had one that looked just like this one. Yes, my dear, this could very well have been yours in the sweet bye and bye. I just pulled the sock out it like you should have.

Old 12-04-2008, 09:14 PM

I'm not that careless where I pick up socks And it is one of those new 'bagless' designs with the hepa filters.

Old 12-04-2008, 09:24 PM

3,020 posts, read 25,729,895 times
Default Same deal.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by StuckPA View Post
I'm not that careless where I pick up socks And it is one of those new 'bagless' designs with the hepa filters.
Probably something in the line. They love to plug just at the connection point from the vac body that the flex line attaches too. Plug can be back in the line to. You can try swapping the ends of lines around.

If you can't find a plug, then it is disassemble enough to see all the parts are working. Ain't rocket science, usually only need very basic tools. Usually a screwdriver is enough.

I love those ladies who say it is busted. Can make a fortune at the next garage sale. Just the sound of it usually gives away the fact it is plugged.

Old 10-10-2009, 06:26 PM

1 posts, read 2,026 times
I bet that your belts is broken. I have had the same problem and I jut replace the belt and it picks up again. I get belts online at [url]www.vacbelts.com[/url]. If not you can always take it to your local vacuum repair shop.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House