Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-27-2007, 07:17 PM

1,330 posts, read 5,092,878 times

Advertisements

I need help!

Anyone know how to get out stains caused by apple juice? (not the bottled stuff the stuff that drips off the apple when you are eating it) My DD - who is 3 years old- eats apples every day and a few of her cotton shirts have brown drip marks that I cannot seem to remove.

And another question - anyone have a tip for cleaning hardwood floors and getting the scratch marks out without stripping the whole floor and redoing them? I thought I heard an infomercial with some product like orange glo that you mop and it helps hide the scuffs but have not seen it since!

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2007, 07:36 PM

23,011 posts, read 34,370,036 times
Have you already washed and dried them? If so the stain is set. Try Shout gel remover, wet the clothes first and let it set a few minutes. Clorox has a new bleach that is really good for all clothes.

I wish I had hard wood floors

Old 02-27-2007, 07:46 PM

2,071 posts, read 12,014,209 times
Rubbing alcohol is good for stains. Buy a $1.00 spray bottle and fill it up. Works wonders.

Old 02-27-2007, 07:51 PM

9,367 posts, read 25,203,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by winnie View Post
I need help!

Anyone know how to get out stains caused by apple juice? (not the bottled stuff the stuff that drips off the apple when you are eating it) My DD - who is 3 years old- eats apples every day and a few of her cotton shirts have brown drip marks that I cannot seem to remove.

And another question - anyone have a tip for cleaning hardwood floors and getting the scratch marks out without stripping the whole floor and redoing them? I thought I heard an infomercial with some product like orange glo that you mop and it helps hide the scuffs but have not seen it since!

Thanks!

I love Zout for stains on clothing. I've tried most and it works best from my experience.

Re: wood floors- I would try Mr. Clean Magic Eraser, but read the box first to make sure it isn't harmful. I've used it in small areas on my bamboo floors with black scuff marks (without reading the box) and haven't had a problem, but read the box (do as I say...not as I do!!)

The Magic Eraser is the absolutley neatest product. It has worked on everything that I've used it for, even little dings on my car. I have one of those crappy plastic (well, plastic-like) garden tubs and couldn't get it clean even with a toothbrush and Comet. Tried the Magic Eraser and it was like magic. I bought ten and gave them as stocking stuffer gifts for Christmas. Even tried it on a whim on the wall before I was going to paint and didn't need to paint.

Old 02-27-2007, 08:22 PM

5,793 posts, read 13,930,887 times
Magic Eraser sounds like sonething I'll have to give a try. There's always somethig in my 100 year old house that needs a little extra attention.

I used to work in a furniture store and in the never ending shuffling of tables, chairs and sofas, some items would inevitably get scratched or dinged. We kept Old English furniture something-or-other at hand. Sorry I can't remember its exact name, but it was definitely an Old English product. It's a liquid that comes in light and dark shades and a little on a damp cloth would do magic to wood finishes and should be found in an aisle where they keep Pledge and other polishes. Hope this helps!

Old 02-27-2007, 08:47 PM

1,408 posts, read 5,094,744 times
The Old English is a furniture polish.

I've tried that on my hardwood and the stain didn't take. Actually, you can purchase the "pens" that are for furniture scratches. I have a set of them in several shades of light, medium and dark. It doesn't give a perfect result, but at least kinda blends it -- just don't use the dark on a light piece of wood!

Go to www.bruce.com for Bruce Touch-up Markers (or go to one of your local flooring dealers who may carry it). You can also get the entire touch-up kit.

I also have some Guardsman "Touch-Up Pencil" (same as the marker) that I got with some furniture and it works fine on any wood product.

Old 02-28-2007, 06:46 AM

Location: Finally made it to Florida and lovin' every minute!
22,677 posts, read 19,256,282 times
I agree; whoever invented that Magic Eraser deserves the Nobel Prize!

Old 02-28-2007, 07:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomoresnow View Post
I agree; whoever invented that Magic Eraser deserves the Nobel Prize!
A 40 YO friend came for the weekend and she, my 75YO mom and I (52 YO) were having a drink at my mom's when my mom was saying how she couldn't get het tub clean. I walked home and grabbed the Magic Eraser and came back, summoning them up to her bathroom. I showed them how it worked. My friend said, "let me try that!" She started wiping the tub and couldn't believe it. Then my mom said, "let me try" and we all were standing around the tub marvelling at the results, taking turns cleaning the tub.

We started laughing to hard that we had to sit down- tears were coming to our eyes at what we looked like, all getting so excited about cleaning a tub on a Saturday night!

Old 02-28-2007, 09:21 AM

Location: Finally made it to Florida and lovin' every minute!
22,677 posts, read 19,256,282 times
ROTFLMAO! I should do that the next time somebody comes to the house - I'll get the tub cleaned and I won't have to do it! WIsh I'd thought of that!

Old 02-28-2007, 10:13 AM

My garden tub has a solid mirror wall. It's not a good quality mirror and I don't (and won't) squeegee. Therefore, it is covered in an ugly film that I can't get off. Tried windex, vinegar, Lysol Tub & Tile, Magic Eraser, Brillo (works best, but not great and probably not a good thing to use in the long run), X14, Clorox Cleanup. Nothing works. My water is hard.

Any solutions? I am ready to use a sponging-technique and just paint over it- I can't stand it!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House