Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-08-2009, 06:41 PM

2,480 posts, read 5,296,735 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GloryB View Post
What do you consider a "luxury" in a home?

No teens living there.
You are exactly right!

We have been relocated and our older teens/early twenties have not moved with us.

We miss them terribly-but i don't miss sleeping on the the couch waiting for them to come at night/early morning!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-08-2009, 08:38 PM

1,747 posts, read 3,003,580 times
For me, luxuries would include:

~ his and hers master bathrooms, each complete with huge glass-enclosed rainforest spa showers

~ private bathrooms for every bedroom

~ heated, 4.5-car garage, tiled floor with drainage (I had a friend with this... fabulous!)

~ wall of windows overlooking a spectacular view (I'm not picky, could be beach, could be mountains)

~ I'll gladly hire Motormaker's housekeeper and gardener! Let's add a chef to the staff, too!

~ a gym, with a spa (pffft you might even get me to use it! )

~ privacy. I want to be close to other homes (other luxury homes) but have a nice buffer of forest in between each one.

Old 06-08-2009, 08:44 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,290,191 times
-Restaurant-quality kitchen (no chef, though, I wanna be in there cooking)

-Large, private bathroom for the lady of the house, with a large, sunken tub with massage jets

-One entire large room of floor-to-ceiling bookcases

-Solitude - as in, twenty miles from anything.

-Somebody to clean it.

Old 06-08-2009, 09:13 PM

105 posts, read 297,445 times
A bay window seat for reading. I know it's common in some homes, but I've never had one, and would love to have one single, solitary place with a lot of sunlight that I could devote solely to relaxing with a cup of iced coffee and a book. No kidlets allowed.

A home theater room--I don't necessarily want one (I'm sure my husband would) but I think they're decadent and extravagant and definitely a luxury that we will probably never be able to afford.

A wonderful view of either the mountains, a wooded area, or the beach.

A jetted jacuzzi tub.

A "lanai" or screened back patio. I watch a lot of episodes of the Golden Girls. lol

Old 06-09-2009, 10:07 AM

13,139 posts, read 22,718,881 times
For me the most important mark a real luxury house is if it makes you feel "right" when you look at it inside and outside and from all angles. A real luxury house is a piece of art...it focuses not on size or ammenities (although they are often included) but on proper porportions and setting. It will look like it belongs and will incite a positive reaction from the viewer.

A real luxury home exhibits excellent craftsmanship, is "architecturally honest" (no faux building products that often look fake and don't have the warmth and variation real wood and stone have) and is a coherent, balanced and pleasing architectural style. The details (moldings and such) must also be integrated into the whole and one of a kind to distinguish the property as "special" (no off the shelf Home depot moldings, doors and columns). And it obviously has to be functional as well.

Compare that to a standard "mcmansion" that is thrown up without regard to it's surroundings, has a frankenstein front facade that is a mishmash of conflicting styles and is covered in cultured stone and vinyl. The back of the house will often be an ugly mess of vinyl siding and odd sized windows. The inside will be full of huge spaces but wrapped in the same poor quality materials that would be put in a cheap apartment. Outside, the builder probably bulldozed a lovely forest to put in the development and surrounded the houses with turf and maybe some scraggly flowering pear trees. The whole thing is peddled as a "luxury lifestyle" but it is a deception meant to take advantage of people who don't know any better.

I guess Americans spend too much time pondering the TV to appreciate good architecture, because it's a rarity here.

Old 06-09-2009, 10:44 AM

30,702 posts, read 79,395,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ParkerP View Post
This is an interesting thread. For me personally, luxury always meant the quality of the materials used inside. Such as:
Real wood trim
Real wood floors
Real wood doors
Marble
Beautiful hand-carved details
Craftsmanship (Where the builder actually took pride in his work and not threw a bunch of junk together that will fall apart within a year or 2)

Basically, anything that's non-builders grade or cheap. I mean, I've seen 500K+ houses with Ikea kitchen cabinets (trust, I can tell no matter how much you dress them up), and though there is nothing wrong with using Ikea, don't try to pass them off as luxury and inflate the home price just because someone threw a granite countertop on top of them. I'm supposed to pay 500K for a house with 3K kitchen cabinets? I think not.

Funny, you are describing almost any pre 1930s home. All those people had no idea that they were living in luxury.

Old 06-09-2009, 03:44 PM

24,298 posts, read 25,802,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nelly Nomad View Post
F
~ I'll gladly hire Motormaker's housekeeper and gardener! Let's add a chef to the staff, too!
motormaker has a chef, I generally call the Super Chief on CD, maybe I'll change it to Super Chef.

Old 06-10-2009, 12:36 AM

18,634 posts, read 33,203,329 times
I guess I have modest tastes.
I consider central air and a dishwasher luxuries. Subdivision home I grew up in didn't have them. I didn't get them until age 48 when I built my little dream house.

Old 06-10-2009, 11:21 PM

5 posts, read 19,608 times
I hope that my life is not coming near the end yet. But I have had the pleasure of working on a number of homes like have been described here and I will still take my hundred and fifty year old house any day because you see it's payed for and I still can and will continue to remodeled it till it has a few of the so called nice things listed here. But the bigest luxury we have and love is our home with our three kids. All the noise, toys, clothes and cleaning up after them will some day soon be a thing of the past and this twenty six hundred foot house will be as big as the pictures of the hotel house. Thank God for our future.

Old 06-15-2009, 01:01 PM

635 posts, read 3,083,800 times
Default Anything non-essential, by definition I guess

Well, since my wife disallowed a dishwasher in our ca 1929 kitchen rehab, I guess a dishwasher would be pretty luxurious! I know my 14 year old daughter(the current biological dishwasher) thinks so!!

It would probably also be nice for our "master" bedroom to have its own private bath, but at least we have a door into the community downstairs bath directly.

I guess other "luxuries" would include anything beyond practical and essential, the definition of a luxury I would imagine

Al
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House