Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-16-2008, 12:41 PM

30,708 posts, read 79,786,099 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by southgeorgia View Post
my brother's former neighbor is a lowe's manager.

according to him, they have a real estate department that keeps up with home depot land acquisitions. if home depot buys something, lowe's is going to buy the nearest property they can. they may not build a store immediately, but eventually they might.

he suggested that home depot probably has a similar practice.

Lowes recently built a store about 500 feet away from our nearest Home Depot. The odd thin is that there is already a Lowes less than two miles away (it might be less than a mile). Apparantly, they just had to have a store right next door.

The whole concept is odd. That same harea has a Target, a Wall Mart, A super K-Mart and a Meijers Thrify Acres at each corner of the intersection. A nearby intersection has Sav-On, Walgreens and Rite-Aid on the corners of an intersection.

I understand the competitive spirit, but this seems just plain stupid. How can these companies survive this kind of commercial warfare? What is lowes going to do with two stores a mile or so apart once they put Home Depot out of business? What are the towns going to have in all of these sotres once the various competitors are done wiping each other out?

Wouldn't it make more sense to open a store in an area that is not currently served by your type of store? It seems that they have more interest in wiping out the other guy, than they have in succeeding.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-17-2008, 01:26 AM

855 posts, read 2,396,225 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
Lowes recently built a store about 500 feet away from our nearest Home Depot. The odd thin is that there is already a Lowes less than two miles away (it might be less than a mile). Apparantly, they just had to have a store right next door.

The whole concept is odd. That same harea has a Target, a Wall Mart, A super K-Mart and a Meijers Thrify Acres at each corner of the intersection. A nearby intersection has Sav-On, Walgreens and Rite-Aid on the corners of an intersection.

I understand the competitive spirit, but this seems just plain stupid. How can these companies survive this kind of commercial warfare? What is lowes going to do with two stores a mile or so apart once they put Home Depot out of business? What are the towns going to have in all of these sotres once the various competitors are done wiping each other out?

Wouldn't it make more sense to open a store in an area that is not currently served by your type of store? It seems that they have more interest in wiping out the other guy, than they have in succeeding.
Not long after HD Depot opened here, Lowes built their second area store in our area. The original Lowes was about a mile from the HD, the new one was a few miles to the south. We also have two Menard's stores, one right down the road from HD and Lowes, giving us 5 major home improvement centers in our area. I think part of it is to make it more convenient to the consumer, ("Hey, we're just down the road") but it doesn't seem like an efficient business model. Big surprise there.

Same thing with our ongoing CVS/Walgreens battle. Where there's one, there's the other and they multiply like rabbits. It's like there's some huge pharmacy giant that walks around and just drops the blasted things randomly, waits a couple months and drops a competitor nearby. Between the two, we've got around two dozen of them within 6, 7 miles of us.

I grew up in a town that had one Rexall on the corner downtown and a little hardware store down the street. No Lowes, Home Depot, Menards, CVS, Walgreens and so on. Somehow we survived.

Old 12-17-2008, 04:44 AM

235 posts, read 1,578,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by juggler View Post
According to this article Home Depot is focusing on customer service again and has hired 3000 electrical and plumbing master tradesmen to bring product expertise back to the stores. The tradesmen will theoretically train less experienced associates, and the reign of clueless employees will come to a resounding end.

Although this evidently happened early this year, I haven't really noticed much improvement.
Yea, I noticed the improvement at HD. The other day I went in the tool section and asked the person in charge if they carried Torx sockets, I was told they are in the electrical section.

I give more business to Lowes..

Old 12-17-2008, 09:04 AM

1,941 posts, read 9,239,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ESPLUMBING View Post
Yea, I noticed the improvement at HD. The other day I went in the tool section and asked the person in charge if they carried Torx sockets, I was told they are in the electrical section.

I give more business to Lowes..

you've got to remember that skilled employees aren't cheap, and unless they can pay enough to draw them off the construction sites, there will always be employees unfamiliar with the products working there. they can only afford one, maybe two, professionals per department.

i would think torx sockets would be at an automotive store.

Old 12-17-2008, 09:57 AM

48,502 posts, read 96,833,505 times
I find that they are good for various thigns as far as what they sell. Much different stores IMO. HD is like a large warehouse and Lowes is more like a home center.

Old 12-17-2008, 02:40 PM

235 posts, read 1,578,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southgeorgia View Post

i would think torx sockets would be at an automotive store.
Thats where I got them but HD was on the way

Old 12-18-2008, 06:31 PM

2,275 posts, read 6,307,154 times
That said, I like them both equally. However, if I were to judge solely by web site, Home Depot would win, hands down. Lowe's web site is woefully inadequate.

When my husband and I built our house 2+ years ago, we got all of our lighting at Lowe's. Every single fixture - from the light hanging over the outside of our garage, to the flush-mount lights in the hall, to the pendant lights hanging over our kitchen island. We did it in one evening, and the man working the lighting department was a licensed electrician. He spent a *lot* of time with us, helping to make our choices. We couldn't have asked for better service.

Earlier this year we purchased a new washer and dryer from Home Depot. We chose that store simply because they had the make and model that we wanted, and Lowe's didn't. We were happy with the service we received there.

As for lawn & garden, we prefer to support our locally owned nursery than the big boxes. The plants are much healthier, too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House