Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-02-2007, 07:40 PM

69 posts, read 260,260 times

Advertisements

We moved our almost new gas dryer from CA without realizing that there is only an electric hookup here. We are trying to decide whether to put in the gas line to the dryer (there is gas heating & we'll be having gas put in for a stove anyway) and keep our dryer or get rid of ours and purchase an electric dryer. It seems it will cost about the same either way. So, in the long run, is gas a lot more expensive here? Would electric be much cheaper or just a little? We do a lot of laundry. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-02-2007, 07:45 PM

81 posts, read 301,279 times
I'm very interested in the replies to this thread. I'm moving my 1 year old gas dryer with me from CA in June....I need to tell my builder what to do!

Old 03-02-2007, 07:57 PM

177 posts, read 847,366 times
Any replies of gas vs electric would be appreciated. I'm looking at rentals that all, for some reason, seem to have gas heat/hot water/etc. I've heard it's a lot more expensive than electric - but don't have any proof. Help for all of us, please???

eileen

Old 03-03-2007, 09:33 AM

47 posts, read 254,466 times
I'm very interested to find out about this, too. We've always had gas for oven, stove, water heater and dryer but our new home builder in NC uses electric standard for everything. Why is this?

Old 03-03-2007, 01:20 PM

1,531 posts, read 7,405,822 times
With gas prices as high as they are these days, I would lean towards electric for as many things as possible. Some things gas is a good deal better....heating and stoves for example. But water heaters and dryers? I don't see the reason to make them gas when either works just as fine.

Old 03-03-2007, 01:30 PM

1,398 posts, read 7,703,722 times
per delivered BTU (or the killowatts equivillent) elec is alway more expensive to operate. As a science type person I know that.

Having said that I preferr elec tho due to the ease of moving it about, repairs etc. Also venting is a bit easier.

Old 03-03-2007, 01:48 PM

2,187 posts, read 8,004,259 times
Well we had the same scenario. we opted to have a gas line installed. Pricey $900 through PSNC (who was the least expensive). I did not want an electric dryer regardless of cost just because they do not dry as well as gas (I have had both)they take longer, shrink clothing more. I am fine with our decision. I think coming from CA you will be shocked at what gas will run you over winter just because you are not used to having to run your heater like you have to here. I got our gas bill today and it was $230. In CA mine was between $10-18.00. I really do not think it has much to do with the dryer but just overall having to run the heater all day (I am home).

Old 03-04-2007, 06:13 PM

548 posts, read 2,647,149 times
We had the same choice coming from AZ and chose to install the gas line. I've always read that over the long haul, gas dryer is cheaper. Even more than that though, it dries clothes much faster, which I love.

Mouna

Old 03-05-2007, 06:52 AM

578 posts, read 3,080,753 times
If a gas line cost $950 (which seems exceptionally high to me, I had a gas fireplace installed which required a 40' run of gas line through an outside wall and then thru my masonry fireplace and it was $500) I'd personally sell my gas dryer and buy a new electric one, assuming the cost differential was at least a few hundred bucks. I seriously doubt an electric dryer would eat up $300 in utilities OVER running a comparable gas dryer. And you get a brand new dryer out of the deal instead of a boring brand new gas line.

Old 03-05-2007, 07:09 AM

2,187 posts, read 8,004,259 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gastric View Post
If a gas line cost $950 (which seems exceptionally high to me, I had a gas fireplace installed which required a 40' run of gas line through an outside wall and then thru my masonry fireplace and it was $500) I'd personally sell my gas dryer and buy a new electric one, assuming the cost differential was at least a few hundred bucks. I seriously doubt an electric dryer would eat up $300 in utilities OVER running a comparable gas dryer. And you get a brand new dryer out of the deal instead of a boring brand new gas line.
My utility room is upstairs that is why it cost so much. They had to run the line a special way so that it would not disperse the gas unevenly to my kitchen appliances,fireplace, heating etc. Hey the first quote I got was $1500! Plus I did get a brand new dryer out of the deal as the people who purchased our home in CA also bought the W/D with it!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House