Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-21-2008, 07:47 PM

8,742 posts, read 12,953,866 times

Advertisements

I am thinking about landscaping my backyard. I am debating between building a deck vs. just have a concrete patio at the back. Would be interested in pros vs. cons on each.

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-21-2008, 08:03 PM

26,329 posts, read 93,734,875 times
I've had both, but I got them with the homes.

Honestly, better to post this here, probably get a lot more valuable responses:

//www.city-data.com/forum/house/

Old 12-21-2008, 08:45 PM

Cool. I didn't even realize that we have general forum here.

Old 12-21-2008, 11:59 PM

262 posts, read 793,610 times
I would prefer a stained concrete patio over a deck, unless the decking was that new material (can't think of the name of it offhand). Will it be covered?

Old 12-22-2008, 12:03 AM
NCN

21,662 posts, read 25,620,272 times
I would think that concrete lasts longer, but wood should be cooler. We still have the concrete patio that came with the house that we bought in 1975. I don't think a deck would last that long.

Old 12-22-2008, 04:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flstatenolefan View Post
I would prefer a stained concrete patio over a deck, unless the decking was that new material (can't think of the name of it offhand).
Were you thinking of composite decking? I saw that at Home Depot. Also read from the link Charles provided, think it's called "Trex", but I also read that it gets HOT with direct sunlight.

I read that concrete cracks. I'd be interested in your experience with concrete patio. How often and how difficult it is to repair the cracks.

If you have wood decks, how often do you need to repair splinters, re-seal or repaint?

Quote:
Will it be covered?
Interesting question. Were you suggesting a screened-in porch like?

My backyard is flat, there's no problem putting in a stamped concrete patio, or a wood deck.

Another option that I am thinking is to put in an upper deck that can only be accessible from the 2nd floor, it will be secluded with an elevated view of trees & meadows in the back. Meanwhile, the space below can be an outdoor patio with the option to screen it in like a porch so no mosquito problem in the summer.

Old 12-22-2008, 04:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCN View Post
I would think that concrete lasts longer, but wood should be cooler. We still have the concrete patio that came with the house that we bought in 1975. I don't think a deck would last that long.
Thanks NCN. Do you need to do some repair of concrete, and how often?

Old 12-23-2008, 12:31 PM

112 posts, read 851,850 times
Personally, if the elevation of your house allows for a patio, I'd first consider that option. A stamped concrete patio is nice but if your budget allows, get a bluestone or paver patio. Cost however would be considerable be higher than a deck but will last almost forever if built right. As for a deck, I would only consider one with vinyl railings and Trex like flooring. Having a wood deck is too much maintenance between yearly power washing and staining.

Old 12-23-2008, 12:37 PM

7,785 posts, read 18,819,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Espressoo View Post
Personally, if the elevation of your house allows for a patio, I'd first consider that option. A stamped concrete patio is nice but if your budget allows, get a bluestone or paver patio. Cost however would be considerable be higher than a deck but will last almost forever if built right. As for a deck, I would only consider one with vinyl railings and Trex like flooring. Having a wood deck is too much maintenance between yearly power washing and staining.
While it only gets into the low 90s here in summer, our altitude means that the sun can get things hot. Good for our solar thermal, but the neighbor's Trex deck gets too hot to walk on or touch (and they visibly sag in the heat). Our juniper wood decks never get that hot.

Old 12-23-2008, 12:48 PM

112 posts, read 851,850 times
^That's odd, my folks have had there vinyl and trex deck for 4-5 years now and I've never notice it sagging even in 90+ heat. And their deck is huge, 30'x15'. Could it be the spacing of the support beams? A wood deck can be nice but this vinyl/trex deck looks the same now as the day it was built.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House