Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-31-2007, 07:52 AM

42 posts, read 151,901 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dee Ueckert View Post
Does anyone know about BLACK MOLD???????????????????
We are looking for a home in Berkeley County, one of the houses had a black mold problem. I was wanting to know if there is anything to do for a very bad case. If there is a way to get rid of the black mold, if so.
How much would it cost and who do you call for that type of work..............
Then how do you know if a house has these problems????????????????/
We just found out through some people that were looking at the same house.
We had no idea that it had been that bad and was still there.
My husband and I just fell in love with the home, plus my boys too.
I sure could use some help here.
Thanks
dee
Mold is a serious health risk. Black mold can kill. Black mold is usually the outgrowth of major problems related to water, standing water, saturated materials, etc. Homes that have broken pipes and have filled with water and have been closed for months upon months with have abundant black mold. If at all possible stay as far away from black mold as you can.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2007, 06:35 PM

967 posts, read 4,786,120 times
If the listing agent was notified there was black mold in the home and did not disclose this to potential buyers, this is a serious breach of their clearly outlined responsibilities as a licensed agent (not to mention morally reprehensible). I heard about of a listing agent who did not tell a buyer about contamination in water where the home was, and understand he was at risk of losing his license - as well he should have been. A listing agent's job is to get the best price for his seller but not to withhold information about the home, in particular something that could harm the health of potential buyers.

If the listing agent was made aware of this problem and did not clearly disclose this to you, you will be doing a good service by reporting this person to the state real estate board and to the owner of the firm they work for.

Old 06-07-2007, 12:00 AM

1,833 posts, read 6,426,798 times
Black mold is deadly, it can grow in your body ...

Old 06-14-2007, 05:14 PM

2,156 posts, read 11,152,933 times
excuse me folks because I am gagging and coughing. If I know that a house had and/or still has a widespread mold problem, then it's all over but the shouting. I don't care if the Seller says "I had the mold remediated after the flood and have a 5 year guarantee from the mold remediator." I still don't want that 'mold' house.

In addition, don't overlook the underlying problem that caused the flood and the resulting mold infestation.

Last edited by Southside Shrek; 06-14-2007 at 05:31 PM..

Old 06-16-2007, 05:26 PM
MB2

3,496 posts, read 9,433,883 times
Default black mold is a health risk!

I am a "mold survivor" so to speak, after living in FL, and having a mold problem in my house caused by the hurricanes.
Well, first thing what one needs to do is get a face mask, so you won't breath in the mold spores.
Second, the problem needs to be found on WHY and WHERE the moisture came in. (Note: Mold spreads....sometimes, when you find mold in one spot, it's not necessary the area it originated.)
You got to get the area dried out....dehumidifier, BEEdry systems in the basements....expose to TONS and TONS of fresh air circulation (fan come sin handy). Whatever it takes.
Next, the choice is yours to hire someone to remedy the mold problem, or you can get the work done yourself (like we did...but, be prepared that you WILL get dirty, and it's really a lenghty job to get that done!)
I washed and sprayed EVERYTHING with straight, undiluted bleach, and a sanitizer I got from work. (Bleach will kill the root system and spores totally, and the sanitizer will inhibite re-growth. Do NOT mix the two, and let dry in between applications!!! FUMES!!!!)
It was at times bonebreaking.......but, we got it done, and I think we were the only house on the block actually NOT having any mold at all in the house
I guess, it all depends on how bad the mold situation is, but, having lived in FL I think my mold "tolerance" level is a bit higher then maybe others.
And, if I really loved a house so much, and I would find the problem on why the mold happened.....I would weigh my options, and maybe, just maybe, take on the fight to take on the mold and remedy the situation.
(Hint: One thing I WOULDN'T take on is a termite infestation, and I think that would be the time I would consider lighting a match........lol...yuk....lol )
Good luck in whatever decision you make!

Last edited by MB2; 06-16-2007 at 05:27 PM.. Reason: typo

Old 06-19-2007, 04:21 PM

13 posts, read 42,742 times
I have a question?????????? When you are buying a home, how do you make sure that there is no black mold problem? I will have a inspection done.
But we are looking right now for a home, what do you look for with black mold ?
I would hate to spend all that time looking at a home, and there it is right in front of me. It been a very long time since we looked at the other house. I just ran from it. I do see that it is still on the market though.
I have change email and name, dobby girl is my new name.
Thank you for your info, I know that it took a lot of work with what you did.
At least now I know what to do. Thanks

Old 06-20-2007, 10:32 AM
MB2

3,496 posts, read 9,433,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dobby girl View Post
I have a question?????????? When you are buying a home, how do you make sure that there is no black mold problem? I will have a inspection done.
But we are looking right now for a home, what do you look for with black mold ?
I would hate to spend all that time looking at a home, and there it is right in front of me. It been a very long time since we looked at the other house. I just ran from it. I do see that it is still on the market though.
I have change email and name, dobby girl is my new name.
Thank you for your info, I know that it took a lot of work with what you did.
At least now I know what to do. Thanks
Mold is a tough thing...huh. It sometimes "lurks" in places you can't see or get to (like BEHIND the walls....etc.)
Mold can be "measured" though, and I would call for a mold inspection.
Sometimes certain mold problems CAN NOT be remedied, unless you completely gut the house.
But, just how bad it really is, needs to be deterimed by a proffecional!
Health risks!!!!
Good luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House