Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-02-2009, 08:28 AM

517 posts, read 1,963,632 times

Advertisements

We have a long crack (25ft approx) in our concrete basement floor that seems to be getting wider. Our house was newly constructed (finished in March '08) and the crack has always been there (but now it's getting worse). We have it on "the list" for the builder and we are under warranty for 2 years (as long as the builders doesn't go out of business like so many buidlers have! )

The builder has yet to reach out to us about this issue. Should we start hounding them or just fix it ourselves? If so, how? (The kids suggested "mighty putty as seen on tv" LOL!)

We're concerned that water could start seeping up, although that hasn't happened yet -but spring hasn't arrived yet.

Also, we had a very high radon level before we put the fan in the attic to pump the radon out. I imagine cracks in the basement floor are a great way to let more radon in.

Any advice?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-02-2009, 09:03 AM

6,175 posts, read 12,933,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shwa View Post
We have a long crack (25ft approx) in our concrete basement floor that seems to be getting wider. Our house was newly constructed (finished in March '08) and the crack has always been there (but now it's getting worse). We have it on "the list" for the builder and we are under warranty for 2 years (as long as the builders doesn't go out of business like so many buidlers have! )

The builder has yet to reach out to us about this issue. Should we start hounding them or just fix it ourselves? If so, how? (The kids suggested "mighty putty as seen on tv" LOL!)

We're concerned that water could start seeping up, although that hasn't happened yet -but spring hasn't arrived yet.

Also, we had a very high radon level before we put the fan in the attic to pump the radon out. I imagine cracks in the basement floor are a great way to let more radon in.

Any advice?
DO NOT FIX IT YOURSELF!!!! First, since you don't know what you are doing (no offense meant there, it just sounded that way from yoru post, and most of us don't know what we are doing with issues like this one,) you might not be fixing the problem at all, just hiding it, or even making it worse. Second, by taking action that might damage things, you might be voiding your warranty, or giving the builder reason to say that he's no longer responsible for the situation that's been created.

The builder has an obligation to get out there & deal with it. Bother the builder about it. When you call, don't get off the phone until you have an apopointment for them to get there. Let them know this looks like a serious issue, and that if he doesn't come at least look, you will have to start looking at other remedies, which might have to include legal action to enforce hios warranty. Speaking of the warranty; I don't want to tell you you are wrong, as I haven't looked at your warranty, but new homes in NJ, MUST be protected by a 10 year builders warranty. You should be able to read that warranty document to see both what is covered and how to make a claim for repairs under that warranty.

So I don't sound like an alarmist, I will say that it's entirely possible that this is just a settlement crack, and that it's no big deal. However, I wouldn't take the chance & hope to get lucky. I'd have it looked at & dealt with as soon as possible, just to be sure, before it gets worse.

Old 01-02-2009, 01:21 PM

4,705 posts, read 25,289,485 times
Since I can't see the crack, it's just impossible to give top notch advice.
Couple things to look at.
1. Does the crack start at a corner (inside or outside corner meaning like an L or a 7). If so, this is a normal place for cracks to start.
2. Is the crack larger than 1/8" wide?
3. Is the surface of the concrete higher on one side of the crack than the other?
4. Are there any expansion joints in the slab. either in the middle or at the edge. An expansion joint can be as small as a groove running in the slab, or if it's at the sides, it may be up to 1/2" wide with a material between the slab and the foundation wall.

Radon does enter the house through cracks, but as long as you already have a mitigation system in, it should be OK.

I see nothing wrong with sealing the cracks yourself. This is NOT rocket science, and sealing the crack will have no effect on any repair procedure that may follow.
If the cracks are less than 1/8" wide, you can use a concrete caulking material and just run a bead and smooth it out.
If they are larger, then get a dry mix concrete patch material, mix it kind of wet, and pour in in the cracks and smooth it out.

However, the builder really should look at it. If the cracks are small, it may be not much of anything. Concrete is after all going to do two things, 1. Be HARD, and 2. Crack at some point. It just is not supposed to make BIG cracks.
A photo would help, as well the the size of the cracks.

Old 01-02-2009, 09:29 PM

1,222 posts, read 5,147,991 times
Get on that builder pronto! Call them daily and keep a log of the date, time, name of the service representative and what was discussed. Also, dig out your warranty (probably with your closing papers) and if necessary, call them directly, again keeping a log of EVERYTHING!

Good luck and keep us posted!

Old 01-04-2009, 09:21 PM

3,020 posts, read 25,726,981 times
Default Basically you are screwed.......

Yes, you can go thru the paper work exercise, warranty smarranty stuff.

Take it to the bank, good construction concrete basement floors DO NOT crack. They don't even put control joints in a lot of it. Was supposed to have wire mesh embedded it in, supposed to be a very good mix, maybe with some strength adding additives like lil wire or fiberglass rods. Supposed to be poured on a properly prepared base. Supposed to be of the proper thickness slab.

There has been some brainwashing going on. Many modern houses are such junk, they are preaching it will happen. One good defense is to claim it is normal. The truth is you got junk.

It all had to start a while back in the concrete truck. If it didn't you are basically screwed. Cracking concrete, nail pops, settling houses, the list goes on and on. In a few more years nobody will remember when they actually did it right.

Forget the fixing, try to get hot money damages in your lil hand. I am one of those rare persons who knows it is impossible to fix junk.

Old 01-05-2009, 07:16 AM

4,705 posts, read 25,289,485 times
Leave it to Cosmic to call everything junk.

Concrete does crack. It is very rare to see any concrete surface that does not have ANY cracks at all, especially if there are corners involved.

Here is some text from the Concrete Manual from the International Conference of Building Officials or ICBO. ICBO wrote the Uniform Building Code, which is now called the International Residential Code.
From page 61...."It has been said that cracks in concrete cannot be completely prevented, but they can be controlled. Rare indeed is the concrete without at least a few shrinkage cracks of some kind. The reaction of most persons when they see cracked concrete is to assume that the concrete is defective. Certainly cracks can be an eyesore, and occasionally they are an indication of weakness in the concrete. ......"

The chapter goes on and addresses cracks and possible causes, etc.

The point is, cracks do happen. Sometimes it is an indication of a real problem, sometimes it is not.
There is even a publication put out by the Association of Home Builders that talks about defects in homes and when something requires an action. This publication is widely used in litigation because it clearly defines what is acceptable and what is not. I was going to relate the part about concrete slabs when I realized that I had given my copy to an attorney to use and did not get it back.

BY all means have the builder come and look at the cracks. Like I said before, it is very difficult to give an opinion without actually seeing the crack. You can also document the crack and movement with markers and photos. You can also use a crack monitor that you epoxy over the crack (on each side) to track movement. A structural engineer can help you with this (getting the crack monitors).

Old 01-05-2009, 08:06 AM

6,175 posts, read 12,933,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barking Spider View Post
I see nothing wrong with sealing the cracks yourself. This is NOT rocket science, and sealing the crack will have no effect on any repair procedure that may follow.
If the cracks are less than 1/8" wide, you can use a concrete caulking material and just run a bead and smooth it out.
If they are larger, then get a dry mix concrete patch material, mix it kind of wet, and pour in in the cracks and smooth it out.
Spider, I appreciate your knowledge on this sort of thing, and will concede that your expertise on building materials, including concrete, exceeds mine.
My concern over the OP fixing the crack himself, without the builder having seen it first, is that he might make it impossible for the builder to conduct a proper & thorough examination of the crack and proper repair, if one is needed. Couldn't the builder also take the position that since the crack has been filled, or fixed, he is no longer responsible for anything else that happens, as the floor he put in has now been altered?

Old 01-05-2009, 09:42 AM

3,020 posts, read 25,726,981 times
Default Ain't all it is cracked up to be........

First I would define a crack a lot better. Some of this might start to become laughable. If you are talking about a lil crazing in the cream layer that can and does occur. If you are talking about a total failure with something you really can call a crack, you got problems.

This idea that all concrete "Cracks" is humorous. I've gotten to know this guy who built things around my area. I would put him in the Mom / Pop class of builders today. He had a huge family, most of the kids worked for him over the years. He built a couple of houses each year, apartment buildings, lite industrials stuff. Very high quality construction, I think you would have to look long and hard for "Cracks". Never had been to his house, went this past Xmas. Wowszer, talk about a house, I think you should go inspect that one for cracks. Not all houses have "Cracks".

You can do it right; you can do it wrong, there is a slight difference.

I've been to Korea. The land of bad concrete. I mean bad, not only does it crack, bridges fall down, whole buildings collaspe, engineers go to jail. I can definitely tell you some stories about doing it all wrong.

That is some good advice for the OP, don't even mess with it, let that sucker contractor twist in the wind when the "Crack" is a foot wide. Yeah, maybe set up a marker system, document that sucker just didn't fail, hey it is moving south like some great glacier. For every failure there is a reason.

I can't resist this last part. I've poured floors that I mixed by hand out of a mixer, no cement truck involved. I'm proud to say not one tiny crack ever, should not it be happening by now? If you really think all concrete "Cracks" go to see the old Roman Empire, look at some of that work and see concrete in super condition after hundreds, if not thousands of years. Even more amazing, they didn't ask any lawyers or have any International Standards Conference Committees for the Association of Builders. They just totally understood what they were doing. I'm not sure if they had inspectors or not. They used slightly different materials and methods.

The OP just got your standard modern junk. They will talk forever. Only one true fix, it is called a jack hammer.

Old 01-05-2009, 12:23 PM

3,320 posts, read 5,593,052 times
Default Let's ponder this one...

In any resale home, if a basement has been finished, who would know a crack existed on the floor? Say you knew you had a crack that never caused a problem and put in a basement kit. Would you have to disclose when selling, that you knew there was a crack? What if you put in your kit early after moving into new contruction and then unbeknownst to you a crack formed under your flooring?

Old 01-05-2009, 01:21 PM

659 posts, read 1,373,926 times
The last thing needed in a basement is cracked concrete.

The floor should be fit for purpose, this one seems not.

Write to the builder, dating your correspondence, outline your grievence. Give the builder 21 days to reply (for instance).

In court the only evidence that is worth anything is written.

You are within reason to feel that you have lost confidence in the builder.

Sounds like you should instruct a surveyor, he should be able to explain how you can bill the builder for this.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House