Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-05-2009, 03:41 PM

8,064 posts, read 18,007,817 times

Advertisements

Hey y'all,
I live in West Texas where the weather is like a roller coaster and kinda crazy. A bad windstorm 10 days ago took out a small section of shingles on each side of the roof plus random shingles elsewhere. The insurance adjuster decided the whole roof should be replaced and handed me a check.

I've called a couple of roofing companies for estimates. One of them sent a guy to cover up the damaged areas over the weekend. Good thing -- we got some freezing rain today. Otherwise, we've been bone dry for months and will likely remain dry for a while.

The temps last week were in the 60s and 70s. The rest of this week is supposed to be in the 60s. We've been dropping into the 30s at night. Is it OK to install a new roof in weather like this?

The roof isn't leaking but some of the decking is exposed. I want the work done as soon as possible so more damage doesn't occur but, obviously, I also want the installation to be optimal. One of the contractors said they want to install when the temperature is at least in the 50s for three days after installation so the shingles will adhere well and seal. But, this is West Texas -- what if they install and a freakish front sweeps in a day or two after the roof is done? He said they can install my roof in a day (it's a double-wide manufactured home).

Any advice? I'm trying to read up and get as much good advice as possible about all of this. I've got the insurance money in hand and the adjuster said if it's not enough, he can refigure the estimate and get me more.

That's another thing -- I can't seem to get a straight answer from the contractors on how much the dang shingles are going to cost! The adjustor and the contractors have said that the cost of shingles has been volatile because of oil prices and they have gone WAY up in the past year. I've got 25-year 3-tab shingles (Tamko Elite) on the house now but I'd like to upgrade a bit to the architectural laminate shingles (Tamko Heritage 30 or XL). It's been like pulling teeth to get price breakdowns and square foot costs from these guys, though!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2009, 05:47 PM

3,020 posts, read 25,730,853 times
Default Yeah you can do it......

Winter is not the best time to do roofing. But it can be done.

You say the dude can do it in one day. Sounds like a go. Nice to have a few sunny days after to get the tabs to seal. You might try to put up some tarps if the weather is still bad after they are on.

Architecturals are the way to go. Can understand why you can not get good prices. Been a huge demand because a number of areas have been hit hard, lots of roof(s) damaged. Just the damage from Ike will keep the factories busy for a while. That and all the shingles in the pipeline were probably priced at the higher oil prices. Everybody will try to keep the price to the customer as high as possible for as long as possible and pocket the difference.

You do not want to be a roofer in the winter time. Hope it works out well.

Old 01-05-2009, 05:57 PM

17,474 posts, read 66,035,782 times
Temperture is not a critical issue- however, as one of your contractors stated- warm tempertures help "adhere and seal". That is a fair statement but, correct installation is far more critical. All manufacturers state "4 nails" per shingle. It's amazing how many try to get away with three. And correct lay-out. The shingles should go down in a "diagonal" pattern- row after row. Some contractors install shingles by "racking" them (installing one shingle on top of the other with a one tab off-set). Then come back and run the next row. I can pick out a racked shingle job anytime. Oh, and they look like CRAP!
Good quality felt paper underneath and membrane under the starter course and in all valleys.

As far as price- installed price is by the square (100sq/ft). I wouldn't attempt to quote a price because it varies from region to region- but expect to pay about $75.00 more per square for architectual grade shingles vs. 3-tab.

Old 01-05-2009, 07:58 PM

Thanks, guys! You've given me a lot of good information so I can speak intelligently with the contractors tomorrow!

I guess alarm bells go off in my head when a contractor isn't forthcoming with an estimate. With no more precipitation forecast and no temps below 50 degrees in the next week, we should be good to go. So, why won't Contractor 2 just give me a written estimate, like Contractor 1 did? He said he wants to sit down with me and go over the breakdowns on my insurance payout "to make sure the amounts are realistic." Is it distrustful of me to wonder whether he just wants as much of my money as possible? I know he's not a fly-by-night contractor because the insurance adjustor spoke well of the company and their work.

I certainly don't mind sharing the insurance breakdowns with him but I see this as something I should do AFTER he gives me his written estimate. I don't see how I can negotiate and compare the costs of different grades of shingles if he won't give me fixed prices. Also, the insurance adjustor called him and told him that if the amounts weren't enough, he could give me more money. I think that was a rather stupid thing to do -- it seems like an open invitation to pad the prices since he hasn't been forthcoming with an estimate!

The first contractor gave me a written estimate right off the bat -- I just wasn't thrilled that he didn't offer to send someone to cover up the damage like the second contractor did. Sigh, I just might have to get a third contractor to come and price it out so I can see how the numbers compare.

Old 01-05-2009, 09:00 PM

7,474 posts, read 22,879,293 times
Get a written estimate without disclosing any information about insurance money. If he won't do that, then run away as fast as you can...
If he is fair and honest, he doesn't need to know how much money you have in your pocket, even after you get your estimate. He has no reason to know, and it's none of his business...
I never heard of insurance adjusters throwing money at people, sounds ike he and the contractor are working together.

Old 01-05-2009, 09:01 PM

1,436 posts, read 3,302,174 times
Forget shingles... price metal roofing. That's the way to go ! You'll never have to worry about the wind again. And it'll last the rest of your life and then some.

Old 01-05-2009, 09:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephan_K View Post
Forget shingles... price metal roofing. That's the way to go ! You'll never have to worry about the wind again. And it'll last the rest of your life and then some.
No, that's just not practical for a manufactured home in Texas. A quality metal roof would be too heavy, likely too hot, and too expensive for me.

Old 01-05-2009, 09:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donn2390 View Post
Get a written estimate without disclosing any information about insurance money. If he won't do that, then run away as fast as you can...
If he is fair and honest, he doesn't need to know how much money you have in your pocket, even after you get your estimate. He has no reason to know, and it's none of his business...
I never heard of insurance adjusters throwing money at people, sounds ike he and the contractor are working together.
They're aware of each other but I don't think they're working together. The adjustor's paperwork does say that if the money isn't sufficient to replace the roof, I need to call him, explain the reason, and I can get more money. But I don't think the contractor needs to be poring over the insurance paperwork and looking for more money!

Otherwise, I absolutely agree with you and it concerns me. I'd like to use this contractor because they did come right out and cover up the damaged areas, plus I've heard they do good work, but I don't like the fact that he won't be upfront with the estimate.

Of course, I've got the money and can hire whom I wish. Contractor 1's estimate is pretty much in line with the insurance payout so I know I've got enough to cover it. I can always get more estimates, too, I suppose.

Old 01-05-2009, 10:52 PM

1,436 posts, read 3,302,174 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by teatime View Post
No, that's just not practical for a manufactured home in Texas. A quality metal roof would be too heavy, likely too hot, and too expensive for me.
Actually it is quite practical ! Even for a manufactured home. Not sure about your area but a standard quality 5 rib metal you can get for ~$.85/ft2 about anywhere. Not a whole lot more than shingles but it is more. Installation should be quite less than shingles too so it offsets overall cost a bit. When you consider it will last over 5 times longer than shingles it becomes about 1/5 the cost of shingles over a lifetime, probably less. If you plan on staying there a while it becomes the best option.

Heavier ???? You are highly mistaken. Actually about 1/5 the weight of shingles ! And if you get a light color it will be cooler than any shingle you could possibly put on. The next biggest factor, when the sun goes down it looses it's heat in just a few minutes, shingles... could be hours. Allows the attic to cool faster... Considerably less mass to hold heat. Helps with energy cost, adds to resale value quite a bit and has a positive impact on insurance too. It all adds up to quite a bit of savings in the end.

Built a new house with a metal roof here in MT. I now wish I had put metal on every house I currently own and owned instead of shingles when I redid them !#$%^& . I'll never put a shingle on a building again, simply not worth it.

Old 01-05-2009, 11:12 PM

Hmmm, I think I'm picturing something different from what you're talking about. The really sturdy, attractive metal roofs I've seen here are rather heavy and expensive. Otherwise, the typical metal roofs they used to put on manufactured homes are quite ghastly looking. I have a Silver Creek home and they're doing shingled roofs as standard. I agree -- they really hold up to wind but a good grade of architectural shingles will, too.

Because it's a manufactured home, there is no attic. I'd have to get extra insulation or sound-proofing with a metal roof or an average rainfall would keep us up at night!

I'll see what the contractors say about it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephan_K View Post
Actually it is quite practical ! Even for a manufactured home. Not sure about your area but a standard quality 5 rib metal you can get for ~$.85/ft2 about anywhere. Not a whole lot more than shingles but it is more. Installation should be quite less than shingles too so it offsets overall cost a bit. When you consider it will last over 5 times longer than shingles it becomes about 1/5 the cost of shingles over a lifetime, probably less. If you plan on staying there a while it becomes the best option.

Heavier ???? You are highly mistaken. Actually about 1/5 the weight of shingles ! And if you get a light color it will be cooler than any shingle you could possibly put on. The next biggest factor, when the sun goes down it looses it's heat in just a few minutes, shingles... could be hours. Allows the attic to cool faster... Considerably less mass to hold heat. Helps with energy cost, adds to resale value quite a bit and has a positive impact on insurance too. It all adds up to quite a bit of savings in the end.

Built a new house with a metal roof here in MT. I now wish I had put metal on every house I currently own and owned instead of shingles when I redid them !#$%^& . I'll never put a shingle on a building again, simply not worth it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House