Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-06-2009, 08:36 AM

54 posts, read 228,624 times

Advertisements

Okay, I am really wanting to know if these things keep a house warm or not? Has anyone used them before?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2009, 11:46 AM

17,216 posts, read 57,072,247 times
Do you mean a forced air, oil burning furnace? If it has adequate BTU output, yeah, it will keep you warm, but while heating oil (essentially Diesel oil) is semi-reasonable right now, probably it's not much of a long-term bet.

Or are you talking about something else?

Old 01-06-2009, 12:26 PM

Yes that is what I mean. We might be moving into a home that has one. I don't even know what they are. Do we buy the oil for it? Sorry, I am from Arizona and I have always had central air and heat.

Old 01-06-2009, 12:40 PM

9,618 posts, read 27,339,773 times
I live with an oil furnace. It does a great job of keeping rooms warm. You can call one of the big oil delivery companies and have them put you on " automatic fill" where you don't need to do anything. They also have a service contract option where they'll do an annual tuneup and filter change....
It can be expensive if the price of oil rises, and requires a little more maintenance , but it's comfortable.

Old 01-06-2009, 12:46 PM

I see. Can you tell me on average what it costs in your home? Thanks, I am just trying to get a feel at what I am looking at if we move into this home.

Old 01-06-2009, 09:12 PM

12,083 posts, read 38,853,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jac0978 View Post
I see. Can you tell me on average what it costs in your home? Thanks, I am just trying to get a feel at what I am looking at if we move into this home.
Where in the Country is the home? Vast difference in heating cost between places due to the winter temps. Cheaper in North Carolina than Northern Maine. Also it would depend on how warm you like the house, How large of a home, 2 story or single story, how well insulated it is, how "tight" it is (how much air infiltration around windows and doors.) There is a huge number of factors that go into how much it will cost to heat a home. Even the same house can vary quite a bit from year to year. When I lived in Maine and heated with a fuel oil forced air system it varied from a high of $2200 a season to a low of $1200 a season. A lot also depends on the cost of the fuel oil itself.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House