Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-07-2007, 09:53 AM

251 posts, read 1,142,723 times

Advertisements

We're in process of building a house.....and I'm choosing exterior details.

I've six bricks to choose from, all of which are dark brown to reddish - except for one that is more of a mid-tone light brown sand. This one is my favorite as it has some areas of cream with a hint of terracotta. Mixed in with these bricks are a few charcoal to dark grey black bricks.

Now the fun begins: Choosing the siding color to go with the brick!

My favorite siding color is definitely darker taupe. If you know siding names, this one is usually labeled "clay."

But siding colors markedly change depending on the light and what is placed next to them. There is nothing in the brick that picks up the taupe siding color so I'm hesitating to combine them, but.....they're the only ones I like in the entire collection.

Would you go for it? Or would you play it safe and go with some light cream color for the siding? I tend not to like lighter colors because the sun glares so hard off the vinyl during some parts of the day.

Thanks for any and all opinions, rants, eyerolls, or good ideas!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2007, 10:06 AM

1,611 posts, read 4,846,958 times
I chose a fairly dark brown, and I have to say I am pleased with it. It gives a richer, look to the brick, IMHO. fIt seems to recede, and will blend better with the trees (when I plant some!)
I say go for it!

Old 03-07-2007, 01:28 PM

1,865 posts, read 5,377,032 times
I have a brick front which sounds very similar to yours (it's name is Stone Ridge by General Shale). We chose a Linen colored siding & trim to go with it. The trim around the windows & doors is white & the shutters & front door are black with brushed nickel hardware. The coach lights are black. It looks really nice together.

FYI...get a loose brick to keeps a reference. Alot of the non-red bricks are really a facing put on a red brick. They can get a ding in them & the red will show through. If need be, you can get concrete paint tinted to match & then dry brush it on the surface to cover the red.

Congrats on the new home!

BxRosie

Old 01-09-2008, 04:39 PM

1 posts, read 44,162 times
Default Stone Ridge Brick Color by General Shale

I am very interested in seeing this brick color on a home. mod cut
Thank you.

Last edited by golfgal; 01-09-2008 at 04:42 PM.. Reason: use DM for personal contacts

Old 01-09-2008, 05:52 PM

3,763 posts, read 12,544,623 times
My suggestion - drive around the neighborhood and really look at the color schemes used by your neighbors. Can you see that color vinyl on a house with that color brick?

We chose a dark reddish/maroonish brick - "Rembrandt" that has some irregularity in the color to it, with a very light grey vinyl. Also black shutters, lights and white trim/gutters. To us the difference between the brick and vinyl was very crisp and a look we liked. Also, we thought there were some bluish tones to the brick (the maroon verges on a charcoal/purplish in ares) and the grey would pick up on that rather than a true white or cream vinyl. But ultimately its what you like. If you like contrast, go for a very light/dark combo. If you like blending, go for more similar colors. I'm sure it will look good in the end!!

Old 01-10-2008, 06:02 AM

604 posts, read 4,620,775 times
as briolat21 said drive around and take pix of houses you like color combo.......I built new and picked a house color off a swatch card....if i had known i would have driven through the neighborhood to view first.

Old 01-10-2008, 08:38 AM

17,472 posts, read 66,010,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Briolat21 View Post
My suggestion - drive around the neighborhood and really look at the color schemes used by your neighbors.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tamcim72 View Post
as briolat21 said drive around and take pix of houses you like color combo.......I built new and picked a house color off a swatch card....if i had known i would have driven through the neighborhood to view first.
Whenever I had a customer for a contract to build- this was always my suggestion to them. I would also stress that they stay within the development for their color combo (all colors had to be approved by the architectural control commitee) to make approval easy.

Now, I have a question- why would you use vinyl siding? Or is that the only choice, because it's a national tract builder.

Old 01-11-2010, 01:08 PM

1,787 posts, read 5,745,866 times
Have you considered matching the siding to the color of the mortar that will be used between the bricks? Match the mortar, then match it against the color of the bricks you are going to use. That's what I did and it looks good.

Old 01-11-2010, 04:11 PM

17,472 posts, read 66,010,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by timneh5 View Post
Have you considered matching the siding to the color of the mortar that will be used between the bricks? Match the mortar, then match it against the color of the bricks you are going to use. That's what I did and it looks good.
You do know that this thread is two (2) years old?
I'm sure the house has long since been built.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House