Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-10-2009, 08:45 AM

5,715 posts, read 15,041,803 times

Advertisements

I need to purchase a light weight chain saw. I've only looked at a few and am wondering if anyone knows which is the lightest weight -- and still a good saw.

Just need it for cutting down small trees and maybe trimming branches if I get brave enough to rent a cherry picker.

I looked at a 16" Echo which said it's "Self Oiling"... and that the Self Oiler adjusts.... it cost a little more but it sounds like a good thing because I know that they require oiling.

Does anyone have any experience with the "self oiling" saws and would you recommend them???

The Echo saws have a 5 year consumer warranty which sounds like they must be pretty good.

So,... I'm wanting a saw that's easy to use, LIGHTWEIGHT... easy to service / change blades, etc... and not too expensive.

Are there any chain saw experts ???

Last edited by World Citizen; 01-10-2009 at 09:22 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2009, 09:23 AM

2,223 posts, read 2,218,116 times
What kind of work are you going to be doing? If it's all going to be close to your house, why not buy an electric chainsaw? I'm not a huge fan, but it might be a good option.

I used to cut, haul and burn a LOT of firewood. I had a Stihl chainsaw and loved it. It was an excellent machine. It eventually wore out.

I now have a McCullough saw. It's light duty, and wouldn't handle what the Stihl did. But it's okay, because all I do now is trimming and upkeep. 16" bar. It cost me about $130.

Basically, there are two types of saws: Low end cheap saws for people like me, and professional saws for people who use them on a daily basis. The cost difference is significant, but you'll get what you pay for.

Old 01-10-2009, 09:42 AM

Sorry. I would NEVER buy an electric chainsaw.
They just don't have the power needed and then you have the cord to deal with.

I looked at an Echo for about $250 at Lowes or Home Depot. Are you saying to look at Stihl that they are superior to Echo ???

(btw- their cheap brand was Homelife)

Old 01-10-2009, 09:59 AM

1,398 posts, read 7,703,722 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by World Citizen View Post
. Are you saying to look at Stihl that they are superior to Echo ???

(btw- their cheap brand was Homelife)
I live in the woods...and I mean woods....and I personally know a couple of guys that make their living clearing future building lots etc...ie they do a LOT of tree cutting and sell fire wood on the side.

Echos are generally considered toys for the weekend warrior.

If you want a real saw get a Stihl or a Husqvarna . That's what the pros use and that's how I judge things. Buy the best tools you can get your hands on and you'll have them for the rest of your life. If you take proper care of them a 20 year old Stihl or Husqvarna is still better than a new piece of crap.

Old 01-10-2009, 09:59 AM

23,589 posts, read 70,358,767 times
I use both electric and a Husquvarna. Electric saws have PLENTY of power for around the home jobs. If you think they don't, you likely have used one with a dull blade or tried to cut something larger than about a 10" caliper. I have one of the little Remington Q-tip saws and am always amazed how fast and easily it cuts through branches. I have TWO other electric saws I use. One is dedicated to roots and dirty work, the other for firewood trimming and cleaner jobs.

You want a self-oiler, absolutely. A BIG problem with the two-cycle chain saws is starting. You have to run 'em dry when finished cutting, and I always add a little Lucas injector cleaner to the gas/oil mix.

As to the cheap gas saws? I just wouldn't bother with them. I spent too many hours in the 1970s nursing along an old McColluch to put up with that nonsense. Spend an extra hundred or so and get a starter grade Husky or Stihl. I really like my Husky, other than it's tendency to ruin a chain if it comes off the bar.

Old 01-10-2009, 10:22 AM

18,949 posts, read 43,571,506 times
I have an 18" Husqvarna and it's the best one I have had.

I won't ever waste money on a Poulan again. Don't get a Craftsman either, it's just a rebadged Poulan.

Old 01-10-2009, 10:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by southernnaturelover View Post
I have an 18" Husqvarna and it's the best one I have had.

I won't ever waste money on a Poulan again. Don't get a Craftsman either, it's just a rebadged Poulan.
Right. As with other products, there are only a couple saw-manufacturers. They just put different colored plastic on their product, and different decals. Shoot, that's even the case with car batteries.

That said, I really do think that your needs often determine what you buy. I'd love to have a Husqvarna, but I cannot justify it for what I do. I can buy several good DeWalt woodworking tools for what that chainsaw would cost, and I'd use them all the time. So low-grade isn't always bad, if you really don't use the tool very much.

Old 01-10-2009, 12:55 PM

Dealing with power cords is a real pain in the rear. I don't have 2 acres of power cords, either.

So, does Home Depot or Lowes sell Husky or Stihl?

I'm not sure which one I was at when I looked at Echo. But, I guess I'd fall into the category of a weekend warrior.

Are the Echo's at all good for someone like me??? And, about the self oiler feature. I'm not talking about 2 cycle... (at least that's not what I thought I was reading) I thought it was to do with self oiling the blade as you use it. I could be badly mistaken, though. I have never purchased one before.

Old 01-10-2009, 01:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by World Citizen View Post
Dealing with power cords is a real pain in the rear. I don't have 2 acres of power cords, either.

So, does Home Depot or Lowes sell Husky or Stihl?

I'm not sure which one I was at when I looked at Echo. But, I guess I'd fall into the category of a weekend warrior.

Are the Echo's at all good for someone like me??? And, about the self oiler feature. I'm not talking about 2 cycle... (at least that's not what I thought I was reading) I thought it was to do with self oiling the blade as you use it. I could be badly mistaken, though. I have never purchased one before.
Chainsaws are 2-cycle, which means you have to mix the oil into the gas. The bar oiler is a different thing. It automatically keeps your chain oiled as you're using it.

I don't know anything about Echo saws, but I see that they do sell them at Home Depot. Lowes sells Husqvarna, but it appears that they're just a touch more expensive.

I'm guessing that either of those brands would be perfectly fine for you. A 16" bar is pretty typical for the normal user.

Good luck!

Old 01-10-2009, 01:36 PM

50,340 posts, read 63,906,560 times
All I know is that everyone around here has a Stihl (steel). Don't know what model would suit your needs. My son went to a college where one of the majors was timber harvesting and those guys only had Stihl.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House