Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-11-2009, 02:09 PM

290 posts, read 1,180,834 times

Advertisements

I have a quick question about counter tops. Our kitchen has tile counter tops (white tiles). The cabinets are also white. Now we like the cabinets and seem to be in a great shape (may need few touch ups). We do want to change the counter tops and add a backsplash.

Recently we visited a friend's house and noticed that they have similar cabinets but with, what looks like, granite tile counter tops. The tiles are almost black (or dark grey) and the grout is almost a matching color. We were impressed and to be honest we couldn't tell that these are tiles until we got close enough.

So my question is, how much cost difference between a solid slab vs tiles for CTs (say for granite or quartz)? say this is a medium sized kitchen with an island (that has a cooktop)?

I understand that a solid surface is better because grout can get stained and hard to clean. However if the cost difference is significant enough, then it might make sense.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2009, 02:41 PM

3,020 posts, read 25,726,981 times
Default Tile is cheap compared.....

Tile is very cheap compared. Plus it is well within DIY project for many folks. Easy to estimate your costs. Just get the tiles you like and do the math based on their price.

Most of the fancy solid counters like granite, etc are not something most DIYer can handle, they typically are the big bucks range.

Even if you have to do a total rip out tile is still cheap if you can do all the work. Materials are nominal if you can salvage the present counter base by removal of present tile.

If you are limp wristed and have to have the work contracted out, no counter top work is cheap.

Old 01-11-2009, 02:52 PM

1,367 posts, read 5,738,525 times
It is significantly cheaper to do tile rather than slab. Another benefit is that if one tile gets damaged for some reason the whole thing won't need to be replaced.

Old 01-11-2009, 03:05 PM

10,447 posts, read 49,643,906 times
The difference in price is massive. Price per sq ft for granite slab starts at around $50. One sq ft of granite tile is about $5. A $45 difference per sq ft.

The big difference is the tile is a DIY project with some basic skills. Granite slab is impossible for the DIYer. Many granite installers are Union workers.

Here is the big problem with tile. Nearly all tile is 12" X 12" right? Well all counter tops are 25" deep. (24" deep base cabinet plus 1" overhang) So if you use 2 tiles you have an inch left. No can do !!!! You dont want one inch slivers all across the back. So if you search real real hard you will find 13" X 13" tiles. Then you have 1 inch to trim off which you will cut from the back row. Then you take whole tiles and rip them in half. All these halves will be your back splash.

Now for your face. I have only recently learned that a quality tile store will sell matching color 36" lengths of front edge for the face. This will prevent you from needing to cut all those 1.5" face pieces. I have seen some people use V-Cap which only comes in ceramic. They used a black V-Cap and used black granite tile. It all looked pretty good I guess. I could tell but I suspect the average Joe could not.

May I suggest another idea if you want granite but dont want the mess of demo-ing the old tiles. Go here: Granicrete International :: concrete counter tops, overlay flooring, decorative concrete coatings, landscape architecture design What this is is a quarter inch thick fake granite that is custom fit in one piece to go right on top of your old.....whatever may be. Even 4X4 tiles. They make a template of your existing top and custom make like a veneer cover that covers the old top and over the front edge, all seamless. You have your choice of edges and a few dozen color choices. You can look at these in person from almost any local home show held in most big cities. This product is almost indestructable and food safe....unlike real granite.

Hope that helps.......

Old 01-11-2009, 03:41 PM

557 posts, read 2,610,182 times
If you can afford it, go with slab granite. It can also add significant resale value to your home. BUT, be sure you have a reputable company install it who specializes in it. Tiles are more forgiving--the base cabinets must be *perfectly* level for the granite slab.

Old 01-11-2009, 04:06 PM

Thanks for all the replies.

Old 01-11-2009, 05:59 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,816,250 times
Might want to look at Quartz also;getting very popular.

Old 01-11-2009, 06:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by texdav View Post
Might want to look at Quartz also;getting very popular.
Do they make them in tiles? and if yes, how does the price compare to one piece slabs? Thanks

Old 01-11-2009, 07:27 PM

204 posts, read 876,197 times
I will echo the Quartz as an alternative. A bit more economic as opposed to granite - but does not have to be sealed like granite does.

Old 01-11-2009, 08:59 PM

10,447 posts, read 49,643,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeacePlease View Post
Do they make them in tiles? and if yes, how does the price compare to one piece slabs? Thanks
In my showroom I dont get involved too much with countertop recomendation, only cabinets. I just know the pricing is exactly the same as granite.

Quartz does not come in tile squares. Quartz is much much heavier then granite. Many people call quartz by a brand name Silestone. Silestone probably is the best brand of quartz. And like some one already said, it is food safe which means you do not have to seal it like you must with granite.

I see far too many people cutting raw chicken on granite, wipe it with a cloth and then cut lettuce right on top of it. Then they feed the salmonella infested salad to their kids. Granite is very obsorbant while quartz/Silestone does not absorb.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House