Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-05-2010, 09:38 AM

1,397 posts, read 4,846,073 times

Advertisements

My in-laws' house if full of tiles - they often have dirty grout, especially in the kitchen and living room, where a lot of people walk through. My mother-in-law bought one of those motorized cleaning brushes for bathrooms in Home Depot ( i believe it was about $20 - $30 for a set, but I don't remember exactly anymore ), and she just used some baking soda and water paste. It didn't completely clean it, but we noticed a huge difference. However, it is a slow process, but it worked for them. You need to "let the brush" spin in the same place for several seconds, and then move to the next one etc. Hope you'll find something that will work for you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2010, 01:35 PM

3,026 posts, read 9,052,594 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JanuaryGirl View Post
Well, under where some appliances were it is a nice light gray, so that is the natural color. I know re-grouting is an option, but the scratching out of the old grout really really doesn't sound like fun on such a big floor. At that point, we'd probably just re-tile with something we like better anyeways.
JanuaryGirl- I just went through the same thing. Light grey grout (turned disgustingly dirty) between stone tiles. Last ditch effort I bought a small bottle of this stuff from HD (TileLab grout and tile cleaner). Sprayed a trial line or two, let it sit for 10 minutes and scrubbed it with a stiff nylon brush.

I could not believe the difference! Went out and bought a gallon of the stuff and just finished my whole floor (500 ft). My stone floor and grout look just like the day it was laid!

It did require some elbow grease and time but the effort was well worth it.
I am thrilled!
Good luck with your grout!

Old 01-28-2012, 08:40 AM

1 posts, read 892 times
Default cleaning grout

I,v found a product that works the best ever on grout and many other cleaning problems. Sold only in $1 stores it call LA,S TOTALLY AWESOME. It cleaner,best way to do grout lines spray AWESOME on the lines scrub with a tooth brush after 5minutes. Repete as needed. After all done seal grout lines.I,v used this product for almost all our cleaning problems.It removes blood stains grease wine liquor gum oil glue hair dye food stains berry juice and many other stains by the way i have NO financial interest in this co.

Old 01-29-2012, 01:17 AM

5,035 posts, read 9,223,229 times
I know people are going to laugh, but I have successfully recolored grout with cheapie acrylic craft paint. I just poured it directly from the bottle's nozzle and smeared it in a bit with an inexpensive, narrow foam brush. The paint wipes off the tile easily with a wet sponge, if you clean up errant smears as you go. (It wipes up well off the tile after the paint dries too, but it takes a tad more work then.) A bonus with acrylic craft paint is that it comes in so many colors. I kept an extra bottle of the color I chose on hand for any touch ups, but those were farther and fewer between than I anticipated.

You can use a regular grout sealer once the paint dries.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House