Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-16-2009, 09:23 AM

8,742 posts, read 12,863,546 times

Advertisements

Being new to the 'cold climate' and we had a single digit temperature last night (it's 11 deg. F. now), I open the faucets and let them drip overnight. But this morning I went outside and check the two outlets, one had a nice long icicle running down the outlet!

So my question is, will this do damage to my pipes? What should I do?

Btw, the pipes are contained behind bricks and only the faucets are exposed to outside.

TIA!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2009, 09:27 AM

24,834 posts, read 37,207,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HB2HSV View Post
Being new to the 'cold climate' and we had a single digit temperature last night (it's 11 deg. F. now), I open the faucets and let them drip overnight. But this morning I went outside and check the two outlets, one had a nice long icicle running down the outlet!

Btw, the pipes are contained behind bricks and only the faucets are exposed to outside.

TIA!
Do you have city water or a well. Either way you have to get heat to the pipes. Yes, this could hurt your pipes!!!

Old 01-16-2009, 09:41 AM

4,620 posts, read 14,921,386 times
Do you know that the whole line is frozen? Did you try to ease the faucet on and see what comes out?

When we lived in the cold climates, we shut off the outside spigots for the season. (Process we used: first we turned on the faucets, then we turned off the water line with the spigot in the basement and let the remaining water in the pipe run out. We'd then leave the outside faucet open.)

Old 01-16-2009, 09:43 AM

3,020 posts, read 25,678,240 times
Default Shut off the water inside.......

Assuming you are talking about the outside facuets. It is common to shutoff that water from the inside, should have an inside the house isolation valve. In the more northen climes, we shut that valve and open the outside faucet valve each winter. Water drains out and there is nothing to freeze. They do make a freeze protected design valve but apparently you don't have one.

I would just take a propane torch and lightly apply some heat to the valve body, thaw it out. Valve can split. Leave the water shutoff during a hard freeze to the outside facuets, allow that outside portion to drain prior to the freezing temps.

Old 01-16-2009, 09:44 AM

17,406 posts, read 65,576,721 times
How old is the house?
Does it have shut-offs inside for the outside fausets (it should if it's about 25yrs or less)?
If you do locate them turn them off, then open the outside valve all the way- and leave it. Come Spring you can turn them back on.

Old 01-16-2009, 10:03 AM

24,834 posts, read 37,207,193 times
Quote:

TIA!
LOL I read this wrong!!! It is just the outside taps. Good. I have been getting so many frozen water systems calls, I had a brain freeze!!!

Old 01-16-2009, 12:05 PM

5,987 posts, read 11,634,120 times
A heat gun or hair dryer would be a safer option for heating your piping to thaw it. You may have made an error by letting water drip from outside faucet. Most outside faucets are about 18" long. Actual shut off is at the far end from the handle and is shut off inside the house. Depending on how old your house is, insulation, temp of space inside (where faucet goes thru wall) it may have froze anyway. This product should help. Thermwell at Lowe's: Outside Faucet Cover

Old 01-16-2009, 01:06 PM

2,223 posts, read 2,205,461 times
Quote:

TIA!
It is entirely possible for this to split your pipes. However, if you left the tap on slightly, the expansion from water to ice should be able to happen without damage.

Anywhooo... The best way to thaw pipes is with hot water - not hot air, and not fire (torch). Get your tea kettle, fill it with water, warm it up on the stove. Pour it slowly on your frozen pipes. This should do the trick, though it may take several tries.

Old 01-16-2009, 01:40 PM

18,929 posts, read 43,254,623 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by K'ledgeBldr View Post
How old is the house?
Does it have shut-offs inside for the outside fausets (it should if it's about 25yrs or less)?
If you do locate them turn them off, then open the outside valve all the way- and leave it. Come Spring you can turn them back on.
I've never even heard of having shut-off valves inside for the outside faucets, I guess it doesn't get cold enough here to need them. I usually put the styrofoam covers on mine, and if I can't find those I use an old towel and duct tape.

Old 01-16-2009, 02:13 PM

17,406 posts, read 65,576,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southernnaturelover View Post
I've never even heard of having shut-off valves inside for the outside faucets, I guess it doesn't get cold enough here to need them. I usually put the styrofoam covers on mine, and if I can't find those I use an old towel and duct tape.
It's pretty standard fare these days- and plumbers use all types of locations/systems. If the house has a basement they're usually located close to the supply at the outside location. But I have seen other scenarios- under the kitchen sink if it's at an exterior wall, powder room vanity, master bath vanity, and my favorite (not); at the W/H and the valve controls both (houses usually have two- Frt/Bck).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House