Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-21-2009, 10:50 PM

1,212 posts, read 4,910,138 times

Advertisements

I am getting egress windows (it is code in my county so I could not opt out of it).

For those who have them, what do you do about securing them?

This egress window has a concrete well and a small ladder to allow easy exit. DH thinks this will allow easy access as well.

I am getting security system, and I am pretty sure I can add that window to the security, but as DH pointed out, that will just alert you that someone has entered.

How do you keep them out in the first place?

Does anyone have one of those after market egress window security system?

I am not worried... but since he is talking about it a lot... I was curious.

Also what about security for sliding glass patio doors??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-22-2009, 04:38 AM

24,665 posts, read 69,673,728 times
I'd be surprised if egress windows don't come with standard or optional locking devices - as far as patio sliders are concerned they also come with locks but for added security you can install a simple "pole" mechanism which slides into the channel and prevents the slider being opened even if unlocked. Hope that helps a little. Cheers!

Old 01-22-2009, 08:02 AM

13,648 posts, read 20,767,629 times
Quote:
Also what about security for sliding glass patio doors??
There are screw locks and installable bars available at hardware stores. There is also a large pin attached to a chain that fits through a hole drilled through the top of both doors at the top.

And as STT said, you can use a bar on the bottom rail. Measure and then buy a good, strong wood dowel or a pipe at a hardware store that is 1/2 inch shorter than the rail length.

Finally, make sure the doors themselves are installed correctly. Sometimes they are not and a burglar can easily remove them.

Old 01-22-2009, 10:30 AM

32,919 posts, read 36,316,341 times
Canada to the rescue.

Google Image Result for http://www.cmhc-schl.gc.ca/en/co/maho/holooucr/images/66F-3.gif

Old 01-22-2009, 07:38 PM

1,222 posts, read 5,147,991 times
We also had to put in an egress window when we finished our basement in our first home. At first those same thoughts crossed my mind, but in all honesty it was never an issue. The other thing, while some complicated and sophisticated locks may keep a burglar out, it could also keep someone IN that really needs to escape in the event of a fire.

I would recommend two things, install motion-activated spotlights outside the home that will shine down on the window well when activated. And then you could also put a deadbolt on the door leading from the first floor into the basement (in the event the basement is only being used for a recreation room and not a bedroom). Then the last person to go to bed at night just makes sure to look the door from the first floor before turning in.

Hope this helps.

Old 01-22-2009, 08:12 PM

1,212 posts, read 4,910,138 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by onevthoki View Post
We also had to put in an egress window when we finished our basement in our first home. At first those same thoughts crossed my mind, but in all honesty it was never an issue. The other thing, while some complicated and sophisticated locks may keep a burglar out, it could also keep someone IN that really needs to escape in the event of a fire.

I would recommend two things, install motion-activated spotlights outside the home that will shine down on the window well when activated. And then you could also put a deadbolt on the door leading from the first floor into the basement (in the event the basement is only being used for a recreation room and not a bedroom). Then the last person to go to bed at night just makes sure to look the door from the first floor before turning in.

Hope this helps.

That is actually a great idea. I was already going to install a security on that window so the alarm would go off, but also a dead bolt to keep someone in basement would at least be something. I don't plan on putting a bedroom down there, just probably a recreation area and most likely no electronics... just storage and maybe pool table etc.

so for interior doors, would a dead bolt and a wood door be strong/secure enough? Should I change for a steel door similar to exterior doors for my basement door?

thanks!

Old 01-23-2009, 08:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcam213 View Post
That is actually a great idea. I was already going to install a security on that window so the alarm would go off, but also a dead bolt to keep someone in basement would at least be something. I don't plan on putting a bedroom down there, just probably a recreation area and most likely no electronics... just storage and maybe pool table etc.

so for interior doors, would a dead bolt and a wood door be strong/secure enough? Should I change for a steel door similar to exterior doors for my basement door?

thanks!
Well, ask yourself this: Could YOU, without interference from anyone and using what you thought adequate, break in to your house?

Now, I suspect that answer is YES as it is for nearly everyone. But the qualifier is how much of a burden is it? Most crooks want to get in quickly and quietly and get out asap.

So, the strategy should always be to make it the biggest PITA for any intruder. The more locks you put, the longer it takes and the more noise it makes (hey, that rhymes...). The more barriers, the noisier it is. In short, as as many layers as possible:

*Lights
*Grates/Mesh
*Alarms
*Dog
*Multiple Locks
*Barriers
*Trimmed foliage
*Window sash pins

For my basement entrance, I have two locks. Then I have a layer of mesh over the window followed by a bolted in steel grill. Then, I have a steel bar going across it. Then I have a metal door jam. Then I crazy glued a few coins over the key hole to block or slow down a burglar with a cordless drill. Finally, I prop my aluminum ladder up against it to add to the noise should all of that be circumvented.

Old 01-23-2009, 08:34 AM

And for Egress windows, just attach steel grills/bars to them on the inside. You can get ones that can be opened from inside if you have fire concerns. And the great thing is that being down in a window well, they do not make your house look like Ft Knox.

Old 01-23-2009, 08:53 AM

733 posts, read 1,927,548 times
well with the security light, the pole, an alarm system, interior bars (Guardian Angel bars are great by the way: Guardian Angel Window Guards ) and locking the interior door of the basement with a deadbolt, it sounds like you would be set!

Only thing you could possibly do to make it more of a deterrent is by a couple of rotties and a gun!!!

kidding aside, great suggestions here! A criminal will not want to have to deal with all the barriers. AND if you get an alarm system, put one of the many stickers they give you on that window.

You won't have any late night visitors!!
Cheers!

Old 01-25-2009, 11:21 AM

Location: Sometimes Maryland, sometimes NoVA. Depends on the day of the week
1,501 posts, read 11,750,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moth View Post
Finally, I prop my aluminum ladder up against it to add to the noise should all of that be circumvented.
On the inside or outside? Outside, its just asking to be used to get to a less protected upstairs window. We keep our ladder chained and locked to out deck posts.

We have a split foyer, so out basement windows are all egress. In the back, we have a stack of skylights (long story ) stacked outside one set of windows. The other window in the back in in a bathroom, so less need for egress. We have a metal trellis over it - cheap and pretty burglar bars. As for the pair of windows in the front, we don't worry about them too much. They are totally exposed and well lit by motion lights and street lights at night.

Out sliding glass door does make me a bit nervous. We can't use most of the typical security mechanisms because the sliding panel it on the outside. So we just have to deal with the latch and a push pin in the bottle. DH has tried to rock and lift the door, with no success.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House