Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-01-2010, 10:52 AM

3 posts, read 16,661 times

Advertisements

The house I moved into a few months ago is on a slope and has some fairly poor draining soils (as evidenced by the very soggy ground after hard rains). The lowest portion of the crawlspace usually has a few inches of water after a hard rain. This normally disappears within 12-24 hrs, but some of this water gets on top of the vapor barrier and takes a bit longer to evaporate. There is a french drain, but the lowest portion of the crawlspace floor is a few inches lower than the drain. This is right by the entryway to the crawl...so I'd guess that over the years (house is 9 yrs old) the soil & gravel was compacted enough by people passing through here to drop it below the drain level.

This isn't rocket science, right? Can I just add some gravel to the areas that are lower than the drain in order to raise the vapor barrier above the drain?

Just looking to see if there are any other thoughts out there or if I'm missing something.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-2010, 11:29 AM

792 posts, read 4,489,328 times
that's the obvious first step to try, and it's really cheap. If that doesn't solve it, then you might need a more expensive solution but I would try what you said, first.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House