Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-25-2009, 01:48 PM

1 posts, read 4,027 times

Advertisements

I found water leaking from my hall closet. The water is coming from the bottom. We bought the house new under construction in 1995 and this is the first we're seeing this. Discovered as we were redoing the floors.

It doesn't seem to be anywhere else. The closet isn't connected to an outside wall. Can't seem to figure out where it's coming from or who to call to look at.

Think it started when we got a lot of snow here in Henderson, NV (yes, that's a suburb of Las Vegas). I think like me, the house went into shock. Seems to happen now everytime it rains somewhat hard.

Any suggestions and recommendations would be much appreciated. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2009, 03:09 PM

3,020 posts, read 25,746,537 times
Default Look in the attic.....

Get above the leak, gravity normal works.

Guess you are saying no pipes run in that area and it relates to rain / snow as the source. Go up in the attic above the closet and see if anything is damp up there. Figure it out from there.

Logic is roof leaks by some means, water gets above the closet, finds its way down to the floor.

Old 05-17-2009, 03:23 PM

2 posts, read 7,717 times
Roof leaks can sometimes be very difficult to pinpoint, most of the time going into the attic serves absolutely no purpose! Even when going into the attic you may see the wet area but that doesn't mean that's where the leak is originating, The source of the leak may be further up the roof and traveling between the roof shingles and the felt paper and finding an opening through the wood sheathing where the wood is wet in the attic.

Old 05-18-2009, 09:51 PM

4,003 posts, read 10,850,408 times
Is this closet near a bathroom? If it is, I would guess your plumbing vent boots are bad on the roof. They would be beyond their life expectancy by now, especially in hot NV sun.

Old 06-01-2009, 05:20 AM

2 posts, read 7,717 times
If you would kindly send me a picture of the front or rear of your house and place an "X" approximately where you feel the water is entering your home, I'll know exactly where to look for the leak. Moderator Cut: Advertising

Thank You, Steven

Last edited by Ultrarunner; 06-01-2009 at 09:36 AM.. Reason: Advertising... please use Direct Message...Thanks UltraR

Old 06-01-2009, 07:47 AM

4,704 posts, read 25,325,687 times
Built in 1995. The rubber flashings would be my first place to look. Second, would be the shingles themselves.
Going up in the attic will tell you a lot. While you may not be able to pinpoint the exact place, you should be able to tell IF the leak is coming form a shingle related problem, or a flashing related problem.

If there is a vent pipe going thru the roof, in the general area of the leak, look around the insulation next to the pipe and look for signs of past leaking. Or just go up on the roof and look at the flashings.
Here are a couple photos of spit flashings, one worse than the other.
Attached Thumbnails
water leakage-img_0020.jpg   water leakage-img_0028.jpg  
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House