Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-04-2009, 10:04 AM

6,470 posts, read 16,402,817 times

Advertisements

I have an old building/investment property that I’m slowly renovating parts as funds/circumstances dictate. This wood-ox year, I would like to replace some of the old wood windows with new ones. Replacing the windows:
1. Can make my lead-paint inspections more painless (no more painting windowsills)
2. Possibly save me $$ since I pay for the heating. I may save $1000 per year.
3. Remove some maintenance since I can skip some exterior painting.
4. Can be done this year because the units will be empty for a month or so.

I’m a little lost with deciding which windows to get:
Vinyl,
Wood/Aluminum clad High_quality windows
fiberglass windows.

I fell in LOVE with the wood windows, but my husband said why waste so much money? He’s pretty good with money matters. Nevertheless I plan to keep the building, and I wonder if I should make saving $$ a priority or try to make the building look nice. I’m not in a “historic” area, so I can use whatever windows I want.

Vinyl

I think Vinyl is crap, and I don’t know of a company that would do a good job installing the Vinyl AND preserving/replacing the trim on my original windows at the same time. I had some other windows replaced with Vinyl and they did a terrible job. I wouldn’t do that again on purpose. I also fear that materials like Vinyl are dangerous if there’s a fire. I mean I bet that stuff burns and melts like plastic and releases terrible fumes. The upside is that it’s fairly cheap, but I would STILL spend thousands for the windows.

Fiberglass

The wood window company has a Fiberglass window as their alternative “cheap” material. Is it really worth paying more than for Vinyl?

Wood

The wood windows look sweet, and I plan to treat the inside wood with oil-based finish or poly. The company I plan to use has a high quality maintenance-free exterior aluminum cladding. They have also done some houses in my area and have happy customers. The downside is they may cost 2X-3X the Vinyl.

Borrowing $$$

I haven’t gotten the quote yet, but I’m pretty sure I’ll have to borrow some $$ to cover the entire cost. I am not sure I want to incur additional debt during this economy. I also love and respect my husband’s opinion in terms of spending money because he’s saved me $$ on repairs in the past.

I also have other work that I have chosen to do this year to the tune of several thousand dollars. That’s Kitchen and roof. I want to keep up with comparable rentals by updating the 1930’s kitchen. Also, the units will be empty for a month or so and I think this is a great time to get a big job like the windows done.

What do you guys think? Can I honor my hubby and also spend massive amounts of money on wood windows, too? Am I being a fool for spending in a bad economy? I am assuming I will be able to easily re-rent the units after spending so much money. What if I’m wrong?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2009, 10:19 AM

8,652 posts, read 17,241,172 times
It's a rental property and I would go with the one easy to take care of...No need to paint every five years if you don't have to.

Old 02-04-2009, 02:42 PM

28,115 posts, read 63,672,505 times
Most of my Rentals are in a mild climate... I've regretted replacing good functional single pane windows with double pane because of the higher cost and inconvenience to replace double pane glass when damaged...

The cost is 4 to 5 times higher and often takes a week to 10 days before the replacement double pane in installed.

I also had some trouble with my first batch with "Fogging" between the panes... the warranty took care of it... now that the warranty is over, I'm on my own.

Old 02-04-2009, 08:01 PM

I have single pane glass now, and it seems the salespeople I get assume I want double-pane. They haven't shown me any double-pane glass. Also, all of teh windows will be easy to clean and more energy-efficient than the current ones, which are original. I'm just not sure if I should spend the money on wood versus Vinyl (ick).

Old 02-05-2009, 08:10 AM

17,475 posts, read 66,054,754 times
All of your reasoning says- vinyl.
But your personal prefrence says- wood.
Keep to the business side of your brain (it is investment property)- use vinyl. It doesn't have to be painted, and if installed correctly, it should provide many years of trouble-free service.
Most windows today are IG (insulated glass). You can get single pane- but it would have to be special order (more $$).

Old 02-06-2009, 11:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by K'ledgeBldr View Post
All of your reasoning says- vinyl.
But your personal prefrence says- wood.
Keep to the business side of your brain (it is investment property)- use vinyl. It doesn't have to be painted, and if installed correctly, it should provide many years of trouble-free service.
Most windows today are IG (insulated glass). You can get single pane- but it would have to be special order (more $$).
Hmm Okay so far that's 2 for vinyl and 1 for wood. Sigh.

Okay if I do go Vinyl, what about my trim? Can I get a Vinyl person to do a nice job replacing and repainting (if needed) the lovely wood trim around my windows? My windows also aren't square so how can I make sure they don't stick in 2x4's in a cheap way to make the windows fit? Okay (hyperventilating) it's an investment property. (gasping for breath at the thought of vinyl windows). I mean what if I ruin a beautiful old building with cheap windows?

I hear you, but how about some more comments?

Old 02-06-2009, 11:43 AM

17,475 posts, read 66,054,754 times
Are you referring to brick mould on the outside, or casing on the inside?
And what is the exterior of the building- siding, brick, etc.

Old 02-06-2009, 12:02 PM

I installed new Marvin windows in my brother's home that are white vinyl on the outside and stain grade verticle grain wood on the inside...

His exterior trim color is white and the vinyl looks very good.

Installation was the hard way because he opted to change some of the window sizes which necessitated chipping out the old stucco, removing the old windows, some framing and then installing the new windows and stucco.

Personally, I don't like the look of some of the one day window replacements with the wide vinyl trim and gobs of caulking...

Old 02-06-2009, 05:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultrarunner View Post
I installed new Marvin windows in my brother's home that are white vinyl on the outside and stain grade verticle grain wood on the inside...

His exterior trim color is white and the vinyl looks very good.

Installation was the hard way because he opted to change some of the window sizes which necessitated chipping out the old stucco, removing the old windows, some framing and then installing the new windows and stucco.

Personally, I don't like the look of some of the one day window replacements with the wide vinyl trim and gobs of caulking...
Okay I should have double quoted, but to answer both previous posters, my house is a beautiful stone in the front and brick in the back. I have decorative wood trim around the windows on the inside. For a previous window installation (vinyl, may God forgive me) the creeps damaged some of my molding. The windows were cheap and I don't like them

Marvin doesn't sell vinyl to the best of my knowledge. Their low-end window is fiberglass. The windows they showed me are wood with aluminum cladding on the outside and I also looked at the fiberglass. And they will actually replace my trim if they break it. They have also done work on other old homes in the area, and I have heard only good things.

I think I'm just getting the insert part of the window.

Old 02-06-2009, 06:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kinkytoes View Post

Marvin doesn't sell vinyl to the best of my knowledge. Their low-end window is fiberglass. The windows they showed me are wood with aluminum cladding on the outside and I also looked at the fiberglass.
Oops... it's been awhile since I installed them... I didn't have anything to do with ordering them... you are correct...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House