Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-05-2009, 10:48 AM

677 posts, read 2,226,173 times

Advertisements

I'm not sure the House forum is the correct place for this but I figure it's a good place to start. Mods, feel free to move to the appropriate forum.

I'm wondering if anyone has any experience or knowledge around asphalt surfaces. Our driveway and parking lot for a condo complex needs to be replaced or repaired.

It is my opinion that with the asphalt being discolored (light grey) and heavily cracked that the process of sealing it in it's current state would be a waste of money. Would there be any benefits to getting the surface re-sealed? Would it stop further deterioration of the surface?

When can someone tell when a surface is beyond salvage and a total replacement would need to be finished? I've talked to asphalt contractors and they all are about money and won't really give me any information so I can make an informed decision. So I turn to CD

Any help will be appreciated. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2009, 01:46 PM

7,474 posts, read 22,807,685 times
With asphalt, nothing is permanent. The proper method is to crack seal all cracks and fill potholes, then reseal. In less than a year, depending on weather conditions, it will need to be done again, the cracks will be back
You can re-seal, resurface, or do a dig out. Reseal is just flowing liquid asphalt over the repaired surface. That is the cheapest method, and works OK, if your surface isn't too bad.
re-surface is taking the top layer of asphalt out and doing an overlay. It's a better job, more expensive, and should last a few years.
Dig out is as sounds, you take it out down to the base and start over. Good for ten years, but very expensive.
You need an experienced asphalt man to look at it and give you an honest appraisal. I don't understand none wanting to give you an honest answer, or perhaps they are telling you the truth, and it's so expensive you don't want to hear it...?
Asphalt needs to be maintained to give good service and life. You need to crack seal and slurry seal every few years, and don't allow it to deteriorate to the point it all needs to be replaced.
Rain, snow, and cold, and the volume and weight of traffic all factor into how long it will last. The thickness of an asphalt street will be several inches thicker than a parking lot.
Bottom line, you need an expert to evaluate your situation and quote the repair... If the guys you talked to don't want to give you the needed information, find someone else. Most contractors are begging for work today, someone must want to work with you........

Old 02-08-2009, 02:31 PM

3,020 posts, read 25,672,075 times
Default Depends on what the original job was like......

Nobody can really give you a good answer, we don't have a clue what the quality of the original job was like or its present condition.

Plus it might also depend on the total square footage involved. With the small parking lots, you tend to get the smaller paving contractors. They typically don't have the heavy equipment to really give you a high quality job. They also tend to use a "softer mix" which has more sand mostly because they don't have the road paving machine or heavy rollers to handle the harder road mixes. They tend to give a thinner layer.

So in general the bigger the paving contractor the better the job will tend to be and the longer it will last. If you get a mix equal to what they use on roadways you don't worry much about sealing it for most of the working life.

You probably want to understand the size of job the contractor can handle and what type of equipment he might have. Helps to see them in action on another job. You really want the guy who has a paving machine and the really hefty roller. Might cost a bit more, but it is worth it.

Plus that type contractor will also maybe better inspect the present condition and give you the best solution for your situation. In general I would avoid small contractors who do wheelbarrow or rake type placement and have lite weight rollers.

Also be aware the paving industry is changing and depending on where you are they may try different methods than used in the past. In SE Ohio even the main roads are not being done using the typical old type hot mixes. A number of methods used, some involve using some type of gravel and then something like a macadam. Some of it even a cold process. The surface tends to be rougher but from what I've seen of various paving they seem to able to hold up, this is the first winter for some of it around my way, but the fear about it being a total failure do not seem to be founded.

Like anything, check out the contractor, look at other jobs they have done, understand what is involved and what is being promised. Try to see jobs of varying ages.

Old 02-09-2009, 02:09 AM

11,535 posts, read 30,099,703 times
I lived on a road that was chat and sealed. It wad fine for a number of years I see a lot of motels with asphalt, and condo's too and our winters can be mild to down right frigid. The florist next door patches his asphalt drive and reseals every year. But he is cheap and so is the asphalt sealer. The only heavy traffic he gets is in his mind.

Last edited by linicx; 02-09-2009 at 02:12 AM.. Reason: edit

Old 02-22-2009, 03:12 AM

488 posts, read 1,020,196 times
Default sealer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrConfigT View Post
I'm not sure the House forum is the correct place for this but I figure it's a good place to start. Mods, feel free to move to the appropriate forum.

I'm wondering if anyone has any experience or knowledge around asphalt surfaces. Our driveway and parking lot for a condo complex needs to be replaced or repaired.

It is my opinion that with the asphalt being discolored (light grey) and heavily cracked that the process of sealing it in it's current state would be a waste of money. Would there be any benefits to getting the surface re-sealed? Would it stop further deterioration of the surface?

When can someone tell when a surface is beyond salvage and a total replacement would need to be finished? I've talked to asphalt contractors and they all are about money and won't really give me any information so I can make an informed decision. So I turn to CD

Any help will be appreciated. Thanks.
if you use a slurry seal it can make your old asphalt look like new,i do it for a living

Old 05-05-2009, 08:10 AM

1 posts, read 35,568 times
What should a charge for sealing a parking lot 5120 sq ft i just would like to know without all the extra, how many cent a sq feet

Old 05-10-2009, 01:00 AM

Default ??

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlbennett View Post
What should a charge for sealing a parking lot 5120 sq ft i just would like to know without all the extra, how many cent a sq feet
Depends on where you live and what sealer you use!in the north central its more because freight and sealer cost more vs say florida from a thousand dollars to 2 thousand dollor range depending on crack filling striping?Call a couple local seal coaters and compare apples! its not to expensive vs repaving...where do you live or what region and i could maybe tell you because sealer is less where the supply company is open year round!

Old 05-15-2009, 07:58 PM

Default ??

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlbennett View Post
Its a dirty job! And 25 cents a foot would be cheap for a lot that size!

Old 08-21-2012, 11:35 AM

1 posts, read 25,336 times
Talking You should do sealcoating and crack Sealing

Regardless of whether you re-do the whole parking lot, or just seal the cracks, you should definitely invest in sealcoating and crack sealing. These two practices will help keep the new asphalt surface looking fresh as well as keep it maintained. Without sealcoating and crack sealing, you may need repairs as early as the 3rd or 4th year after its initial placement due to weather conditions and traffic volume. You can read more information on these two practices at: [url]http://www.stripe-a-zone.com/services/seal-coating-and-crack-sealing/[/url]

[url]//www.city-data.com/forum/house/558320-repaving-vs-seal-coating-existing-asphalt.html#post25737666[/url]

Old 08-21-2012, 12:23 PM

30,701 posts, read 79,330,237 times
IF you just want it to look nice for a few months to sell the place - seal it. If you want a lasting surface - replace it.

THey have a new system that grinds up the old asphalt mixes it iwth emulsifiers and lays it back down. I do not know whether it works for parking lots. I have only seen it for roads. It costs about half as much as hot asphalt paving.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House