Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-03-2013, 08:29 PM

10,137 posts, read 17,472,767 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMU View Post
Thanks. It is a Heat n' Glow fireplace. So if the firebox is supposed to be air tight, then the glass door is the only mechanism to stop the cold air from entering your house I'm taking it.

I just can't believe that you have to live with this issue if you get one of these fireplaces. If the builder cannot fix it, I'll pay to have a professional come out to assess/repair....and then maybe push for the builder to pay for the remedies. Doubt they will go for it but who knows...I just want it fixed is the main issue.
We have the same issue with the same mfg! It might sound a big trashy, but we bought a coleman ice chest to fit over it painted it to match house slide it over and sit snug on sheet metal and take off in summer. Our neighbor's asked what it was and we said a custom box for FP. No one can tell. We don't use our fireplace though as you might guess.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2014, 06:45 AM

1 posts, read 9,581 times
I have a gas fireplace with insulation in the chimney. I had concrete board above it, but that fell down recently is it safe to run it or should I put more concrete board up

Old 01-21-2014, 07:01 AM

17,472 posts, read 66,002,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brunopapalia View Post
I have a gas fireplace with insulation in the chimney. I had concrete board above it, but that fell down recently is it safe to run it or should I put more concrete board up

Your description doesn't make any sense- post pics!

Old 01-21-2014, 07:43 AM

4,212 posts, read 6,899,912 times
Sigh, this is something I need to address in our living room too. Our fireplace has lots of cold air infiltration in the winter. I don't remember the model # off hand; but this thread reminded me to try and look it up at home tonight and then look the manual up online again. The house is about 10 years old and I could never find a way to close the vent off. The removable glass that is in front of the fire is decently sealed (I can feel a small amount of air ingress in the winter, but not tons) but the louvered part below the actual visible fireplace (where the controls are) definitely leaks an appreciable amount of outside air every winter to the point where you don't want to be near the fireplace on any day below freezing.

Old 01-22-2014, 05:49 PM

14,246 posts, read 14,720,946 times
In some states it is against code to have a "ventless" gas (only) fireplace. In other states it is not against code to have a ventless gas fireplace.

Old 02-12-2014, 11:08 AM

1 posts, read 9,317 times
Yeah these fireplaces are awful! I notice a lot of us writing are in the South -- no northern home would be able to stand it -- and maybe building codes there don't allow . Eastland homes here as well, Heat n Glo brand. Massive air coming from the bottom where the controls are, might as well have an open wall. I can see my lawn from the back vent (inside the box).

The entire wall it's on has not been insulated-- air through the electric outlets too. In looking around with a flashlight I can see the space between the drywall and outside wall of the house...zero insulation, a bit dusty though.

We put a large leather bench in front of it...and bought a ceramic oscillating heater for chilly evenings. Sad that the appliance that is supposed to do this is so wasteful. We're thinking about having it pulled out and using the space for a cocktail cabinet.

Old 02-17-2014, 08:18 AM

1 posts, read 9,290 times
I too have a blast of outside temperatures (-2 to 26 degrees ) coming in from the bottom vent wherethe control devise is located as well as around the sides. The builder,known nation wide, subs their work out & never use those sub-contractors to build their own homes. My product is a Heatilator Model CD4236IRC direct vent which vents out the back. You can see daylight and feel the wind blowing through the vent slots on the back of the fireplace inside chamber. Without an automatic damper that is operational when the gas valve opens, I can't understand why they think this is energy efficient. My guess is that 80% of the heat from the fireplace is going right out the vent. Does anyone have a suggestion to remedy this problem?

Old 07-31-2014, 06:23 PM

1 posts, read 8,915 times
Default Help with Heat N Glo door choices

not sure where to post this ... we just had a Heat N Glo 6000 installed and do not like the style and.or pricing of the front doors offered ... any thoughts as to where to look for something attractive priced well?

Old 08-01-2014, 07:29 AM

41,813 posts, read 51,023,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelsup View Post
I placed a plastic bag around the outside vent box and taped it up to seal it. Doesn't look great but it cut down on the airflow tremendously.
They have end caps for that, they are only a few bucks. To be safe put a piece masking tape over something required to turn it on with note the remind youself or anyone else that might go turning it on.

Old 08-17-2014, 08:08 PM

1 posts, read 8,838 times
Apparently this is NOT a problem with suppliers/builders in the south. We recently bought a 20yr old home in Colorado and have the SAME problem. It's often very windy here and two direct vented fireplaces face right into the wind, so the cold drafts are definitely noticeable and unpleasant. Unfortunately, the summer heat from constant, intense high altitude sun infiltrates during the summer, so we have a year 'round problem. We'll have to look at a cap solution to help address the summer heat. But the winter problem is certainly a challenge.

The first winter we used the units and just wondered what was going on. This past winter we considered ordering one of those custom made fabric covered magnetic fireplace covers. But I hated to spend money to address a symptom. So, we used heavy duty cardboard from moving boxes to cover the units, using duct tape to hold them in place. Lovely. It did help a bit, but not enough. And I want a real solution...one that allows us to use the units without sacrificing efficiency or comfort (not to mention aesthetics). Really, I just cannot believe that this problem even exists. It boggles my mind that so poor a fireplace solution exists in this day and age! Obviously there's little "improvement" happening in this industry given that the same problem is faced by owners of 20 year old and almost new homes.

I'm not sure what type/model unit we have. Will have to look at it and check out the seal conditions. I will certainly appreciate folks keeping this conversation going so that hopefully we can resolve the problem for each of us!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House