Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-09-2009, 03:48 PM

9,238 posts, read 22,886,893 times

Advertisements

This really ticks me off. A colonial is a specific type of house. It usually means two stories, and a hall with stairs in the middle, and that's the loosest definition.

But it seems that all kinds of homes for sale are being called "colonials." I've seen this label applied to split levels, ranches, cape cods, and weird styles that don't fit any common category. What gives? Don't real estate agents know how to properly categorize styles of homes?

I only found one recent thread on this, but it was specific to Long Island NY:
//www.city-data.com/forum/long-...-all-real.html

Another thing that ticks me off is when they call a bungalow a cape, or vice versa. But the colonial thing is the most common. Does anyone else get bothered by this?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2009, 05:49 PM

8,189 posts, read 31,226,172 times
Speaks highly of the real estate industry, doesn't it?

Old 02-09-2009, 06:24 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,816,250 times
Personally ;i see more called a ranch than anything else.

Old 02-09-2009, 08:40 PM

9,238 posts, read 22,886,893 times
Well Dave, that makes sense if you're in "Tex"as and I'm in one of the original "Colonies".

I guess realtors think everyone in Texas wants a ranch and everyone in the Northeast wants a colonial.

Aaack! I just noticed my typo in the thread title!

Old 02-10-2009, 01:01 AM

18,703 posts, read 33,366,372 times
My "contemporary Cape"- too weird for any normal description
My former "lovely small contemporary bungalow/needs work" - too weird for any normal description, having some five roof lines for three rooms, aka "The house that Jack built"

Everything is called a colonial that doesn't actually fit the description of a cape or ranch (or, sigh, a saltbox- I love them here in New England). Now, there are "colonial cape" which doesn't mean anything.
But then, I've seen descriptions of both "Palladian" and "Palladium" windows to mean that boring half-circle over the gaping front entry.

Hey, if people buy them...

Old 02-10-2009, 07:17 AM

17,472 posts, read 66,002,677 times
Just face it- real estate agents are idiots, especially the ones that have "CRS" (can't remember sh_t!) after their name.
Besides, they would need a course in architectual history to really understand why, where, and how different styles of homes came to be. Do you see that happening anytime soon?

Old 02-10-2009, 07:36 AM

41,948 posts, read 75,144,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TracySam View Post
Another thing that ticks me off is when they call a bungalow a cape, or vice versa.
A lot of that is regional. The same houses called Cape Cods in NW Pennsylvania are called bungalows a mere 90 miles away in Cleveland.

Old 02-10-2009, 08:03 AM

5,979 posts, read 19,891,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TracySam View Post
This really ticks me off. A colonial is a specific type of house. It usually means two stories, and a hall with stairs in the middle, and that's the loosest definition.

There are really many types of colonials so I can understand why anything two-story could be described as such. What you described above is specifically a Center-Hall colonial, where the stairs and a hall usually starting from the foyer bisects the first story of the home. Other types of colonials are the Georgian colonials, most noted for the columns and the Federalist colonials. Here is an article that describes the difference between these two in more detail.

Federal and Adam House Styles - House Style Pictures - Federal Houses and Adam Houses

Old 02-10-2009, 09:04 AM

3,020 posts, read 25,726,981 times
Default Them boys also love to be called for chow.......

Them realtor boys will call it whatever they think will get them a paycheck.

They love to be called for pay, chow and liberty call. Do not call them if you want the truth or any real work done.

Old 02-10-2009, 04:17 PM

30,708 posts, read 79,764,742 times
Most modern houses are a mish mash of architectural styles. Many if not all have at least some elements of colonial revival. With every possibly style mixed in somewhere, they can call it whever name sells the best at the moment. Next month they may be calling it Tudor. : )
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House