Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-13-2009, 03:55 PM

2,111 posts, read 7,949,452 times

Advertisements

My attic fan mounted in the roof is busted and needs to be replaced or removed and the roof patched. Who would do this , a roofer or electrician? I was thinking of removing and putting a fan in the gable vent as I do not like anything in the roof. The fan stopped working a while ago, and since the wind broke part of it off. I have plastic covering it. I also have two vents w/o fans on each end of the roof. HELP!!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-13-2009, 04:32 PM

17,210 posts, read 57,041,396 times
Depends on what you mean by "busted". Not a real precise term.

If you want to replace the existing fan or fan motor more or less like-for-like, that would be a job for an electrician.

If you want to get rid of the existing fan entirely, you may or may not be required to have an electrician do that, if you are knowledgable just disconnecting the power and taking the wires loose from the fan before it's removed mechanically is not rocket science.

Patching the resulting hole in the roof is for the roofer.

If I understand your post your existing fan is actually in the roof, and you would like to put one on the gable instead. That is probably do-able, you may need to run some additional wiring.

If you are not a DIY sort, you may want to get a contractor since this involves more than one trade.

Old 02-13-2009, 06:09 PM

2,111 posts, read 7,949,452 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Mitch View Post
Depends on what you mean by "busted". Not a real precise term.

If you want to replace the existing fan or fan motor more or less like-for-like, that would be a job for an electrician.

If you want to get rid of the existing fan entirely, you may or may not be required to have an electrician do that, if you are knowledgable just disconnecting the power and taking the wires loose from the fan before it's removed mechanically is not rocket science.

Patching the resulting hole in the roof is for the roofer.

If I understand your post your existing fan is actually in the roof, and you would like to put one on the gable instead. That is probably do-able, you may need to run some additional wiring.

If you are not a DIY sort, you may want to get a contractor since this involves more than one trade.
Busted as in broke, meaning it hasn't worked electrically and physicaaly, the dome is half off, evidently from strong winds.

Old 02-13-2009, 06:52 PM

3,463 posts, read 7,303,667 times
The easiest and less costly way is to have an electrician replace it with a new powered attic ventilator. He'll remove the old PVC unit and replace it with a new unit. The new one can be of your choice, e.g. various CFM ratings, aluminum vs. PVC, color of dome, etc. There are lots of choices... They all have the same footprint so any of them will fit your existing roof hole...and since you already have the wiring the electrician can easly connect it to the new unit.

The main concern I'd have would be making sure the roofing shingles were carefully lifted to remove the old fan and carefully secured when the new fan is installed.

Old 02-15-2009, 09:45 PM

Location: Sometimes Maryland, sometimes NoVA. Depends on the day of the week
1,501 posts, read 11,750,050 times
If you go the electrician route, do the guy a favor and do it in the next couple of months. Nobody things of attic fans until June, and then my husband is up in your 140 degree attic crawling through fiberglass insulation while sweating to the point of heat stoke in his uniform
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House