Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-18-2009, 11:43 AM

Location: When things get hot they expand. Im not fat. Im hot.
2,513 posts, read 6,323,996 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mawipafl View Post
I echo Cecilia_Rose .. you can make your own and you don't have to be a master craftsman to do it.

The one I made I slapped together with two two-drawer file cabinets topped by a piece of 3/4" MDF that I had the Home Depot guys cut to size for me (was cheap to have them do it.) I took the lazy way out and just covered the desk top writing surface with contact paper.

I could have made it more "elaborate" by painting the desk top white to match the file cabinets (they were white metal) or by purchasing wooden file cabinets and staining the desk top to match their color.

If I had wanted to get real fancy, I could have purchased decorative moulding and trims (available at home improvement stores) and glued them onto the edges of the MDF and/or onto the file cabinets.

The desk is a tad lower than normal writing desks, but since I'm short anyway, it works for me. But I could have purchased newel post caps (round ones or pointed ones, both of which are found in the deck supply section in any home improvement store) and glued them as feet to the bottom of the file cabinets.

The best part about creating my own was that I could make it whatever size I wanted, thus not restricted to depth nor length of writing desks available in-store for purchase.
Hey Mawi. Nice meet another DIYer. Been there done all that. People would be surprized at what you can throw together if you just thnk outside the box a little.

Getting the size you want is a nice bonus. Another nice thing is that you can build something huge but when you move it breaks down into smaller pieces. And if you move a lot its not hard to change it around to fit the new place.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2009, 04:17 AM

4,620 posts, read 14,981,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cecilia_Rose View Post
People would be surprized at what you can throw together if you just think outside the box a little.
Absolutely! And that's why I echoed your suggestion to the OP. With ingenuity and little effort, it's incredible what can be accomplished by re-purposing things. We've used newel post caps made for decks as feet for our sleep sofa (replacing the wimpy legs), and feet for a trash-picked coffee table to raise it higher for a TV stand. We've taken decorative mouldings and glued them onto oh-so-boring hollow-core closet doors to make them fancy and eye-catching. My favorite re-purposing project, which we ended up doing ourselves because three different kitchen designers said it couldn't be done without the high-cost of customization, was to build cabinetry around a window using stock wall cabinets as base cabinets (raised up with our favorite newel post cap feet :-)

So, I love my slapped-together writing desk. It was originally 7' 3 1/2" long to fit into a space like a built-in. In our next house it was too long, so out came the circular saw to chop off the end of the desk top to fit in a 6' space.

Old 02-19-2009, 01:48 PM

216 posts, read 580,444 times
Target has a great line of furniture both in the stores and even more online, and it is very reasonable. They actually have a Thomasville line, and have many different styles available.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House