Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-16-2009, 09:40 AM

3,027 posts, read 7,886,335 times

Advertisements

I am having slight problem with hydrogen sulfide and iron,it doesn't bother me but does bother wife.I am looking at filter,MetalMaster Water and Filtration System which claims to remove problem with media and periodic back flush at 3 am,since water cannot be drawn during this period,all automatic,powered off 230V pressure switch.Googled it on internet.My question is who has any experince with this system?Cost is $800 so do not want to purchase unless I get some positive input.They claim media will last indefinitely. thank you
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2009, 10:11 AM

24,834 posts, read 37,196,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanBev View Post
I am having slight problem with hydrogen sulfide and iron,it doesn't bother me but does bother wife.I am looking at filter,MetalMaster Water and Filtration System which claims to remove problem with media and periodic back flush at 3 am,since water cannot be drawn during this period,all automatic,powered off 230V pressure switch.Googled it on internet.My question is who has any experince with this system?Cost is $800 so do not want to purchase unless I get some positive input.They claim media will last indefinitely. thank you
What kind of well do you have?? PVC, crock, iron??? 2", 4", 5"???

Old 02-16-2009, 01:51 PM

The well is 4 inch iron 160 feet deep in limesstone aquafier.The area is around wetlands.We are dry.Located in north florida.

Old 02-16-2009, 01:59 PM

24,834 posts, read 37,196,048 times
Quote:
The well is 4 inch iron 160 feet deep in limesstone aquafier.The area is around wetlands.We are dry.Located in north florida.
Most of the time a PVC well will help. I thought it was a iron well. Check with some neighbors that have PVC wells. Your health department would know too. They have water tests on area wells.

Old 02-16-2009, 03:59 PM

43,854 posts, read 50,862,909 times
Hydrogen Sulfide can be a real aggravation in some of the Florida wetland and coastal areas. Some people do okay with it and some really do get sick. Here's an excellent site to check what to look for and how to make sure you have the right pump system to filter it properly.

Sulfates, Hydrogen Sulfide, Rotten Egg Odor, Sulfur , Sulfate Reducing Bacteria in Drinking Water Testing Analysis Treatment

Old 02-16-2009, 05:23 PM

As I said a very,very minimal problem,water is crystal clear,very,very light stain over a long period,hardly noticed by me.I was looking for someone who might have used above mentioned filter.As for steel 4 inch pipe,100 per cent of older wells are steel,only in last years has plastic come along.Had well replaced a few years ago with steel or maybe iron also at home I worked on.Have never heard of any problem with steel or iron.Most pipe is driven into rock around 80-90 feet with well depth at 130 to 170 into limestone aquafier.I counted 20 foot sections as they drove them down.Usally able to drive 20 foot section 3-4 feet in rock.

Old 02-17-2009, 05:36 AM

19,375 posts, read 22,315,065 times
We had a BAD hydrogen sulfide problem in our last house. A chlorinator did the trick for us. We had to get a huge retention tank to make it all work, but overall it was the cheapest way to go for us..

Old 02-17-2009, 11:54 AM

286 posts, read 1,477,712 times
Quote:
MetalMaster is nothing more than a name, you need to know what mineral is in the filter, there are many used for H2S, iron and manganese removal, and what brand of control valve is used on it.

There are other ways to do the same job and at the same time kill bacteria, etc.. If you have any type of reducing bacteria, sulfate, iron or manganese, you must kill them, a filter won't do that.

Any filter or water softener must be sized based on the size of the family, number of bathrooms and the type of fixtures in them; I.E. the peak demand gpm that must be treated. If the constant service flow rating (SFR) is exceeded, you don't get all of whatever is in the water out of it. To learn more on all that you can visit my homepage in my profile here.

Old 02-19-2009, 11:58 AM

3,517 posts, read 13,226,871 times
Quote:
As I said a very,very minimal problem,water is crystal clear,very,very light stain over a long period,hardly noticed by me.
For only a little iron, a water softener will solve that - just add some Iron Out to the salt to help it along. For the nasty sulfur problem, you might get away with periodic well chlorination if it isn't too bad. This is the procedure for sanitizing your well and plumbing. A regular filter won't fix that. It is caused by sulfer eating bacteria which is why the chlorination works.

I had both problems and the sulfur was especially bad after having been gone for a week or so. I solved it by chlorinating my well once a year. A few years ago, some new houses went in behind me and my sulfur seems to have disappeared so I guess the new wells changed the aquifer route.

Old 02-19-2009, 03:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tesaje View Post
For only a little iron, a water softener will solve that - just add some Iron Out to the salt to help it along. For the nasty sulfur problem, you might get away with periodic well chlorination if it isn't too bad. This is the procedure for sanitizing your well and plumbing. A regular filter won't fix that. It is caused by sulfer eating bacteria which is why the chlorination works.

I had both problems and the sulfur was especially bad after having been gone for a week or so. I solved it by chlorinating my well once a year. A few years ago, some new houses went in behind me and my sulfur seems to have disappeared so I guess the new wells changed the aquifer route.
How much do you use and do you just drop it in and flush the tank and lines??Have never been involved in this situation.Appreciate help.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House