Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-18-2009, 03:30 PM

165 posts, read 812,256 times

Advertisements

Does anyone here have experience moving plumbing? Ideally, we would like to move a bathroom about 14-18 feet from where it currently is. I am sure this will be expensive, but is it even feasible?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2009, 03:43 PM

22,591 posts, read 47,670,343 times
Almost any remodeling is doable... but it usually gets costly!

Old 02-18-2009, 04:35 PM

17,216 posts, read 57,078,859 times
Usually the loo is situated over one or the main drain pipes, you need to worry about maintaining sufficient drop per linear foot if you move it away and still want to tap into the existing main drain line.

That could have a drain line hanging down from the ceiling in your basement pretty far if it is going to the same drain as previously.

Then again if you don't have a basement that may not be a consideration.

If you are willing to run a new drain more or less straight down from where you want to put the loo, that will cost more but will remove the issue with drop per foot.

You didn't ask, but this is not likely to be something that you get your money back on when/if you sell on. If you were selling it to me, I would be looking very hard at how good your engineering was, and this would massively outweigh any possible design or convenience factors. But then I am a hard-boiled engineering type. And while I can do it, working on a commode that won't drain/flush is not my favorite thing to do...

Old 02-18-2009, 05:57 PM

7,474 posts, read 22,882,304 times
Your only hope for any kind of reasonable guess at the cost and feasibility is to call a licensed, local plumber to get a quote. Every job is completely different and depends on your particular circumstances.. It isn't a job for a DIYer..!

Old 02-18-2009, 06:57 PM

10,447 posts, read 49,658,815 times
Donn is right again. There is no way we can give a perfect answer here. But things to think about is just what the other previous poster said about basement/nonbasement issue. Because of the needed pitch of the waste pipe you do need to have access by way of basement. By the way, code says a quarter inch drop per LF. Not too hard at all to achieve but you need access to do it. A slab will not provide this access. Probably even if you jack hammer it up. I think you said 15' away. That is about an additional 4" higher that the toilet ring has to be from where your waste line connects.

Also correct as some one said this will do nothing for resale value but I assume your goal is to move a few walls to open up your floor plan. Just having a brand new bathroom will increase value. At least it used to. Today you can dump a pile of 24K gold in your home it will still lose value.

By the way.....what the hell is a loo? 3 decades in the business and I never heard of a loo. Then again where I grew up it was called a J trap and most places it is a P trap. Strange huh.

Old 02-18-2009, 08:29 PM

7,474 posts, read 22,882,304 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertsun41 View Post
By the way.....what the hell is a loo? 3 decades in the business and I never heard of a loo. Then again where I grew up it was called a J trap and most places it is a P trap. Strange huh.
Loo is French for toilet..! Remember, Napoleon "Met his waterloo"
He got flushed..!

Old 02-18-2009, 10:21 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,856,573 times
Just remember that bathrooms and kitchens cost the most to remodel of any room in the average house.

Old 02-19-2009, 01:38 AM

11,535 posts, read 30,265,438 times
Default Too funny!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donn2390 View Post
Loo is French for toilet..! Remember, Napoleon "Met his waterloo" He got flushed..!
Are you sure?

LOO Etymology: short for obsolete English lanterloo, from French lanturelu twaddle Date: 1675 (a card game)

TOILET Etymology: French toilette cloth on which items used for grooming are placed, from Middle French, piece of batiste, from diminutive of toile cloth Date: 1667

TOILETTE Etymoloty: French, form Middle French
1. Toilet (see Toilet)
2a. formal or fashionable attire or style of dress b: a particular costume or outfit

Dictionary and Thesaurus - Merriam-Webster Online

Old 02-19-2009, 05:16 AM

5,987 posts, read 11,674,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertsun41 View Post

J traps are used in sinks and toilets. Pee traps are used in urinals.

By the way, until we started playing word games you have been given solid information.

Old 02-19-2009, 08:49 AM

165 posts, read 812,256 times
Yeah - our goal is to move a hall bathroom into a small bedroom to create a master. I would prefer to have the bathroom all the way in the other corner of the room, it would then have 3 windows and a very nice layout....

It would be possible to run the line down the wall and to the basement. Again, budget is the issue. Hum....

And yes, the loo! We want to move the loo! Not misspelled toilets. I wish we could edit the titles.... that is my spelling error is making me crazy!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House