U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-20-2007, 07:24 PM

7,139 posts, read 13,643,896 times

Advertisements

Melaleuca has nice products (tea tree oil), but they are not retail. I just use vinegar and dish soap combination. Also baking soda and salt for scrubbing. I have an orange oil furniture spray, smells very nice.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-20-2007, 11:25 PM

3,632 posts, read 15,132,807 times
Dreameyes, how can I be more like you? I would love to love to clean. But I hate it and rarely ever do it.

Old 03-21-2007, 08:48 PM

203 posts, read 720,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sablebaby View Post
Dreameyes, how can I be more like you? I would love to love to clean. But I hate it and rarely ever do it.
I'm with you, Sablebaby. How does one learn to "love" cleaning? My hubby would really be a happy camper if I learned this trick. With 2 kids (9 & 13), 2 dogs and a cat in the house, I can't seem to pull it all together. Of course, I'm the kind of person that can't have an empty surface. Not that I do it intentionally, it just happens. If there is a flat surface in my house, I will eventually put something on it. So what's the trick? HELP!

Old 03-21-2007, 10:30 PM

9,366 posts, read 23,552,509 times
Default Help! I have clutter..

I have a 1600 ft. townhouse with one greatroom. My place is so cluttered that, once the clutter is removed, I'm too tired to clean. And I can't clean until the clutter has been removed. A vicious cycle. I have two kids and it is like shoveling sh## in the wind to get the place picked up. Instead I retreat to CD forum and plan to tackle it the next next. But the next day never comes- help- advice, please!

Old 03-21-2007, 11:13 PM

46 posts, read 424,745 times
Default Have a clean-a-room-a-day schedule

A friend of mine told me her rule was to do 1 thing / 1 room a day. Tuesday's were laundry, Wed. were vacuum, Thursday was family room/dean, Saturday was mop kitchen...and bathroom was everyday.

Unfortunately, I have not been able to stick to the rules... but I do keep the clorox wipes in the bathroom and clean each time I leave the bathroom (except for the shower, I tend to always be in a rush to get to work in the morning)....

Now that I think about it, the clean-a-room-a-day schedule didn't work for me, so I don't know why I am suggesting it...I guess I just felt like writing a post at 11:00pm...

Old 03-22-2007, 07:36 AM

346 posts, read 1,677,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hereinfla View Post
I have a 1600 ft. townhouse with one greatroom. My place is so cluttered that, once the clutter is removed, I'm too tired to clean. And I can't clean until the clutter has been removed. A vicious cycle. I have two kids and it is like shoveling sh## in the wind to get the place picked up. Instead I retreat to CD forum and plan to tackle it the next next. But the next day never comes- help- advice, please!
I live with a pack rat! Nothing is ever allowed to make its way to the curb. You just have to do it. Declare a "what is not in its place will leave home" day. My mother was great at that - you came home late and all your belongings were on your bed.

Old 03-22-2007, 01:10 PM

1,703 posts, read 4,835,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CAtoGA View Post
I'm with you, Sablebaby. How does one learn to "love" cleaning? My hubby would really be a happy camper if I learned this trick. With 2 kids (9 & 13), 2 dogs and a cat in the house, I can't seem to pull it all together. Of course, I'm the kind of person that can't have an empty surface. Not that I do it intentionally, it just happens. If there is a flat surface in my house, I will eventually put something on it. So what's the trick? HELP!
Ok I guess "love" was a bit too strong. Just so as to not come across as some nut who is always cleaning. let me clarify that there are many other activities I enjoy above cleaning. I do like cleaning though because it makes me feel better about doing other things.
In the area I live in we have so many packrats and I just can't stand clutter! You'll probably think I'm crazy talkin bout an Oprah show I saw but there was this family who was BEYOND packrats and they had on this clutter guru guy who helps with clutter and delves in deeper as to why someone is a packrat. There are many emotional reasons too and it can become a serious problem I think.

Old 03-22-2007, 02:17 PM

346 posts, read 1,677,639 times
We do not yet need outside help. When it gets too much I make neighbors and friends happy. No reason to have a yardsale. Strangers ging through my stuff:>( You like the glass you are using - the other four (one broke) and it will go home with you.

Old 03-22-2007, 05:36 PM

17,700 posts, read 36,838,614 times
I have plastic containers in every bedroom and am constantly putting stuff/clothes in them from each room (6, 5 & 2 year old kids go through clothes and shoes on a monthly basis it seems!). When it's full, I ship it off to Goodwill, or see if a friend wants some kids clothes. I also do purges half used stuff that has been sitting on shelves, toothpaste, mouthwash, dishsoap ... if I haven't used it in a month, it gets chucked. It's liberating and now that we are putting our house on the market ... AGAIN ... I get cleaners! I love my swiffer sweeper and my swiffer wet jet. Great for between scrubbings!

I'm also a big huge fan of those bags that you put stuff in and suck the air out with a vacuum ... love love love those!

Old 03-22-2007, 10:00 PM

2,815 posts, read 12,345,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hereinfla View Post
Tell the kids that they both are going to donate half of their junk to the Salvation Army, get the big heavyduty black bags ready, and then get them working on it on a Saturday and Sunday. Have them toss half of the crap they have.
Go through your stuff and start tossing things you don't need or use or want and fold them up and take them to the Salvation Army, etc.
Then, when all that "stuff" is gone, make the kids help you clean. Tell them to put away anything they don't want you to throw out and then help you dust, move furniture for vacuuming, and make them clean their own bathroom they use. If they refuse or hedge to cooperate, start taking their things lying around after they've had time to put them away and throw them into the black bags and thank the kids for their generosity! They should get the hint quickly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House