U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-23-2007, 01:44 AM

31 posts, read 204,426 times

Advertisements

I love my Melaleuca! All natural, toxin and chemical free. The don't have the horrible fumes store brands do, they are cheaper and they work amazing. They don't even require child-safe caps. I like that too. I imagine myself over compensating for some of those child-safe caps, and flinging cleaner all over the room.
I don't have to worry about my dogs, in fact I can use the products on them for some things. I can use it on my plants too.
When mom told us when we were young that natural things like vinegar could do everything, she wasn't kidding.
It's funny actually. I've never been a fan of cleaning, but it's a lot better when you can see the difference a product makes.

The first time I tried the bathroom tile product, my mouth almost fell open. I know it sounds like I'm exaggerating, but you know those commercials that you never believe: "We put product X on this half of the stain and product Y on this half of the stain. Now we'll wipe off both sides, and side X is clean!" It was like that. I had a stain (from previous owners) on my shower floor that I took a scrub brush too. I tried soft scrub and comet and nothing. I put the natural stuff on and left it for a minute or two. The instructions said wipe off. So I didn't scrub, I wiped off. And it came off! I couldn't believe it.

I have 4 dogs and occasionally more, so I put the products to the test!
Love 'em! Love 'em! Love 'em! (the products and the dogs

Tabitha
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2007, 04:59 PM

1,703 posts, read 4,839,174 times
That stuff sounds pretty good. Can you buy it at health food stores or do you have to order it online? I've never seen it before. Anything to make cleaning easier and more natural i'll try!

Old 05-03-2007, 08:02 PM

549 posts, read 2,247,264 times
Im also a neat freak as well!

Old 05-04-2007, 05:17 AM

13,036 posts, read 22,870,328 times
The Eco Cloths are wonderful . All you need is water and as they are made from micro-fibres the dirt just clings to it.

I have also started to use "soap nuts" for my laundry. Thse are basically nuts which contain Saponin ( the natural "soap") .
If your laundry is not too dirty ( and let's face it nowadays most of our clothes aren't), it's ideal. Put 4 or 6 half shells in a little muslin bag ( it comes with it) and just pop in your laundry instead of detergent. Works like a treat.

I don't know about the US but here in the UK Greenpeace has a online shop called "Natural Collections". Excellent cleaning products and also some pretty things for the house.

Old 05-04-2007, 09:50 AM

35,596 posts, read 64,873,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dreameyes View Post
I love to clean.
Will you please come over to my house? LOL

I clean a lot of stuff with baking soda and/or vinegar. Baking soda is a great scrub, and doesn't scratch. Murphy's Oil Soap is another favorite. It cleans everything, and I don't have to worry about the cats walking across a wet floor and then licking their paws.

Old 05-04-2007, 08:16 PM

1,005 posts, read 1,615,047 times
Great tips, all. I love to clean, too. I helps me get my mind in order, while I'm doing it.

I have asthma, so I look for natural products, too. Simple green is a great cleaner, but I can't breathe when/after using it. I still use it, but hold my breath & then run! I know! Vinegar & baking soda is cool to watch when it fizzles up! Use it for bathroom cleaning. And, a great tip is for very tough baked-on stains, like on a stove, is to mix creme of tartar & vinegar into a paste. Apply it with the corner of a wet sponge. Let it dry & leave it for 4-5 minutes or so. Then use a little square/rectangular plastic bread bag holder "thing" & gently scrape it off. No scrubbing, no damage to the surface. Only problem is cream of tartar is expensive.

Whole Foods has some good Second Nature products & Dr. Bonner's soap which is concentrated, can be mixed for different cleaning purposes. I'll have to check out those "soap nuts". Can you tell me where you purchase them please?

Have fun... VV

Old 05-05-2007, 06:03 PM

13,036 posts, read 22,870,328 times
Kittenspur, I live in the UK so buy them from my local "green shop/health food shop" so this might not be any good to you !
I found a US website which mentions them though :
www.treehugger.com so they might have some local links for you. I hope this helps.
Also try the Greenpeace website ( in the UK they have an online shop I suspect they will in the USA too ).

Old 05-08-2007, 09:00 AM

35,596 posts, read 64,873,092 times
Kittenspurr, how is the Dr. Bronner's soap? Is it easy on your hands?

I've also read that cheap vodka is a good cleaner (save the good stuff for yourself after you're finished cleaning!). Beats me what it would be good for; if it can dissolve my stomach lining, maybe it'll dissolve soap scum, too.

Old 07-11-2018, 02:04 AM

3,713 posts, read 1,614,585 times
I use baking soda to scrub and deodorize my wood cutting board.
I use in my wash cycle with less detergent
In a bath.
Make a paste to scrub tennis shoes clean.

Sprinkle in shoes at night and tap the soda out the next morning.

Old 07-11-2018, 03:58 AM

32,747 posts, read 36,237,958 times
Honestly I'm tired of cleaning and can't keep up anymore so I'm looking into hiring a cleaning service to come in 2x a month.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House