Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-05-2009, 02:38 PM

584 posts, read 2,149,535 times

Advertisements

What are popular interior house paint colors now? What about floors...dark, light?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2009, 08:57 PM

561 posts, read 1,512,806 times
Don't care, I would choose colors I like and not worry about what's popular. Unless you're thinking resale, then I would go neutral. Sometimes, those "popular" colors get un-popular really fast and can really date your home. Of course, JMHO.

Old 03-06-2009, 06:32 AM

128 posts, read 1,070,802 times
Colors that are gonna be IN for 2009!!!

Blue -Soothing, comforting and relaxing blues. Soft sandy taupes, and warm grays.

Brown - Rich chocolates and warm golds teamed with luxe pearled ivories create an elegant color scheme that will be the talk of your next party.

Yellow - High intensity oranges mixed with strong yellows.

Purple - Shades of purple from the lightest Lilac to jewel toned royal purples.

This year it's surely gonna be Hardwood styles!

In the up and coming months there are going to be hardwood styles that are going to change the direction of hardwood floors. Floors at the show showed higher sheen levels with some that you could almost see your reflection in. These finishes will give rooms and design schemes a totally new look and feel.

The majority of the hardwood colors shown were darker and richer shades. Color shades seen resembled coffee colors, rich furniture colors and warm spices.
Wider boards are still popular although many narrower boards are still being shown.

There were styles of hardwood shown that were clean, crisp and elegant as well raw, rustic and anything but refined. There seemed to be more options for different design styles than ever before.

Tiles

There will always be beige/neutral tiles out there because there is a place for them, but this year there were many offerings of gorgeous tiles with high ranges of color. The color shades were rich and warm. The shades were mixed between the field tiles and the listellos and decorative tiles so neutral tiles could be used with bolder accents and vice-versa.

There will always be beige/neutral tiles out there because there is a place for them, but this year there were many offerings of gorgeous tiles with high ranges of color. The color shades were rich and warm. The shades were mixed between the field tiles and the listellos and decorative tiles so neutral tiles could be used with bolder accents and vice-versa.

Mod Cut Advertising

Last edited by Ultrarunner; 03-06-2009 at 10:24 AM..

Old 03-06-2009, 10:28 AM

3,191 posts, read 9,183,768 times
IMHO_ If you are getting ready to sell go with something like 'Cotton' by Behr. NEUTRAL.These darned buyers get so freaked out by color. HGTV ain't your friend, I don't care what they say!

Old 03-06-2009, 10:51 AM

20,958 posts, read 45,404,950 times
When I was taking the courses for my real estate license, the "neutral, neutral, neutral" mantra was chanted endlessly.

Being the kind of person I am, when I signed on with my broker, I asked, "Why?", particularly since, in hanging around on various online forums with friends who were in the process of looking for homes to purchase, I heard, in so many words, "If I have to walk into one more house with beige walls and beige carpets, I'm going to throw up!" There was a disconnect there.

My broker said, "Resale is in competition with new build, and buyers of new homes consistently buy white walls and neutral carpet." Okay, that made sense, until I toured the models and saw that they all had designer colors, sometimes dramatic designer colors. So, I asked "Why?" again, this time of the people who sold the new builds.

"Oh, sure," they said. "Buyers can get these colors. It's just another $10,000-15,000!" Ding, ding, ding! The buyers liked the colors, but they didn't like the price tag, especially since they could buy the neutral colors and then do the designer colors themselves, or pay someone to do it for them, for a heck of a lot less than the builder charged.

That being said, there are some lovely greens and tans and blues these days that count as "neutral" when used judiciously.

Old 03-06-2009, 03:46 PM

584 posts, read 2,149,535 times
Default color vs. white

So when people say "neutral" I'm guessing that means a million shades of beige, off white, white?
Does that not make it look like an apartment?
Do people like rooms to be different colors? Or the house entirely white?

For selling/buyers I guess I mean. I know what colors I like, but not what future buyers are gonna want. And I want to make the house look appealing to everyone.

As far as the colors mentioned, thanks...I would have never guessed those colors, they sound nice. I guess there is still a debate over pale color vs. no color?
Hmm....

Old 03-06-2009, 05:43 PM

8,064 posts, read 18,010,195 times
I've recently went back to white. It's MUCH more fun to get creative with the cupboards, countertops and flooring. With white walls, you can change up the rest of the stuff in endless ways.

I'm redoing my kitchen now that the walls are white -- painting my cabinets electric blue and doing shiny black floor tile. It sets off the stainless steel appliances in a big way.

Old 03-07-2009, 09:27 AM

433 posts, read 1,769,857 times
Neutral doesn't necessarily mean white or light beige. We moved into a brand new house and the builder painted it a beautiful color called Alexandria Beige by Benjamin Moore. It is beige but it isn't light or boring.

As far as floors I think most people like dark. Our floors are stained with Minwax Mahogany Red. They are a great contrast to the white trim and neutral walls. I then add bold color with black furniture, bronze light fixtures and bright artwork.

Old 03-07-2009, 07:33 PM

256 posts, read 888,832 times
when we purchase our home..They plp half way painted the place..it is a wreck and still is we are trying to get our place painted..but we are doing alot of the browns ( mostly tans) in our home. besides in couple of our rooms we are painting them liek a grey color and a blue. we liked the colors, and we know we are going to be here for a while..when we decide to sale ti will be all white.
ooo and do not I mean do NOT paint your place in any HIGH Gloss..the plp before us did their base boards and doors all in that in a ugly like yellowish white color...and it is soo hard to get painted..u have to prime. then paint it atleast three tijmes.. *yes we are using the home depot behr paint*
anyways if you are saling do it in white, with a paint that is easy to paint over.

Old 03-09-2009, 01:57 PM

30,708 posts, read 79,810,729 times
When I was looking at houses, neutral especially white really bugged me. It stranslated to me a boring. "Honey, want to go look at that boring house again?"

However the problem with colors is that one person will like it and another will hate it. In one instance we saw a house with a room with purple walls. I loved it, my wife hated it.

Ultimately, I generally plan on repainting most or every room so I do nto much care about colors. However it can have a big imact on your initial impressions.

I would nto try to use todays "In" colors. They will not be "in tomorrow, and it is very unlikely that you are going to sell the house this year. (Even if you think that you are, the odds of selling a house are pretty slim depending on where you live of course).

If you are going to live in it, paint it colors that please you. When you go to sell it, your realtor will probably have you repaint anyway. Old paint leaves a house looking run down and the cost of a basic paint job is diminimus. A good paint job is expensive, but it looks like few people bother with a truley good paint job when they are selling a house. No one really looks all that closely. If you have a decent fresh paint job when you go to sell, it will help a lot. You can choose sale colors then.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House