Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-07-2009, 10:20 AM

9,480 posts, read 12,115,981 times

Advertisements

I am a gal, too...but most folks on c-d figure I'm a guy...why... I don't know why...maybe I oughta shave me legs once in a while..lol..

sorry driller..I thought you were a guy, too! and i based that solely on your profession. SORRY!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2009, 11:12 AM

2 posts, read 3,102 times
Default Re:Where can I find good contractor and building material suppliers?

Best of luck to you building your first house, it’s an adventure. I would recommend talking to your neighbors and friends and see if they know any contractors they worked with in the past. Since I’m sure you already did that you should try jobtrio.comI found that they have a very easy to use search. They have the biggest list of contractors I have seen to date, plus you can write reviews and read their articles.

Old 03-07-2009, 12:35 PM

24,832 posts, read 37,348,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian.Brain View Post
Best of luck to you building your first house, it’s an adventure. I would recommend talking to your neighbors and friends and see if they know any contractors they worked with in the past. Since I’m sure you already did that you should try jobtrio.comI found that they have a very easy to use search. They have the biggest list of contractors I have seen to date, plus you can write reviews and read their articles.
Those are ads. $14.99 a month and I could post anything I wanted.

Old 03-07-2009, 12:54 PM
f_m

2,289 posts, read 8,370,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hal.jeck View Post
I was wondering if anyone knows of a good resource to find contractors? I have been looking online and all I have seen are sites where you have to describe the job then wait to get called from a contractor or if I find a directory type of site there is a limited number of contractors in my area, but I know there are many more. I am trying to build my first house and I was planning on hiring all the contractors so I need a good resource to find them. Something with reviews and article would also be very beneficial, please let me know if anyone knows of a good place to look.

I think HD Supply Repair and Remodel is great for finding supplies. Kind of like Costco for building materials.
HD Supply Repair and Remodel

As far as contractors, be sure to check the BBB and see what filings made have been made. For such a big job, you'd want to check references and possibly see the jobs they have done or are working on. Also, check their license which should show how long they have been working, number of employees, etc...

Old 03-07-2009, 03:12 PM

47 posts, read 232,170 times
I am not sure what type of quick check you did on him. But lawyers and law students (me) have access to court records through a database called Lexis Nexus. At the time I hired him i did not have access and was clueless. When I run him through the database he has over 45 judgments, 1 law suit pending for in excess of $300,000. If any one wants to see this pm and I can email the item to you. The one good thing with anyone who has a mechanics lien filed against them, the supplier must act on it by suing to collect within 24 months or the lien becomes null and void. However, protect your self by filing a lien waiver with the courts ( no need to take chances).

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertsun41 View Post
I just did a quick check on Manuel P. Gonzalez in Delaware and he has a clean record with not one complaint against him. He may have just arrived here without a green card.

Yes I agree with lien wavers. Not some states like you said, anywhere they are necessary for homeowners. If your contractor dont pay his tab with the supplier then the supplier could lien on your house.

Why would anyone hire a man by that name? That's taking quite a trusting gullable chance isn't it?

Old 03-09-2009, 08:05 AM

746 posts, read 1,243,010 times
Assume all contractors are crooks until otherwise proven. It is just because there are just too many scammers out there, get referrals from friends and neighbors. Trust no one! Three of my co-workers have been ripped off.

I recently screened about 7 for a bathroom repair job. Two seemed to be okay. One exceptional. The rest were scammers, found one on a tv show where he swindled tens of thousands from unsuspecting customers.

Old 06-26-2013, 10:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Citylover067 View Post
BuilderBuzz - Where Builders Come to You! | Welcome is a great source to find a contractor. Simple to use and every time I'm in need of a contractor i go on the platform post the job with some pictures and I get bids from contractors. I check out their profile to see their previous work and feedback and hire the best one. All the contractors i hired did a great job and will be referring them.
I would not trust that site.

It would have taken me 5 minutes to sign up...........anyone could do it.

Old 06-26-2013, 11:11 AM

10,447 posts, read 49,662,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Driller1 View Post
I would not trust that site.

It would have taken me 5 minutes to sign up...........anyone could do it.
Driller why did you open up a post that was active with the during Victorian days? The one hit one post wonders always open up posts with Dinosaur foot prints on it but veteran posters don't.

Old 06-26-2013, 02:33 PM

Quote:
Driller why did you open up a post that was active with the during Victorian days? The one hit one post wonders always open up posts with Dinosaur foot prints on it but veteran posters don't.
It came up on my screen........I did not notice the date.

Excuse my short comings......

Old 06-26-2013, 02:36 PM

Quote:
Take a look.......the whole post I responded to is GONE.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House