Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-14-2009, 10:50 AM

10,447 posts, read 49,658,815 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tesaje View Post
I made slide out shelves but didn't waste space with baskets. I found some 4" vinyl siding pieces in a L shape that took nearly no space to make a back and side, cut the plywood bottoms 1/2" inch shy of the cabinet depth and made top and bottom shelves in some cases, 3 shelves. That way I get the full use of the depth of the cabinet and as wide as the rails will allow. I put cheap handles on the fronts so they are easy to pull out. Those Home Depot baskets are only 18 or 22" deep but my cabinets are 24" - wasting 2-6 inches of space. I calculated each shelf only cost me about $12-15 each. Yes, I did need a saw and it did take some time, but they went in pretty quickly and they are custom fitted to the cabinets.
Sorry but I could not let it go. Your math dont add up. Yes your cabinet is 24" deep OD. But your faceframe is 3/4" thick and the side panels are dadoed into the faceframe 1/8". The back panel of the box is about a half inch in. Your total interior depth is about 23 1/8". All major manufacturers make optional pull out trays at 22 9/16 deep. Lets just call that 22 1/2" for all intents. That leaves just over a half inch space/gap left over behind the drawer.

Where do you come up with a 6" waste of space?

You have to have a 1" waste of space on each side due to the drawer guides. The guides take up a half inch on each side in a faceless euro cabinet and a face cabinet add the 3/4" the frame intrudes into the box opening. So the most space you can possibly lose is from 1" to 2 1/2 depending on box construction.

Yes Home Depot sells those baskets that are one size fits all. But they have several sizes. And one of them is just about 22".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2009, 09:14 AM

3,517 posts, read 13,261,663 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertsun41 View Post
Sorry but I could not let it go. Your math dont add up. Yes your cabinet is 24" deep OD. But your faceframe is 3/4" thick and the side panels are dadoed into the faceframe 1/8". The back panel of the box is about a half inch in. Your total interior depth is about 23 1/8". All major manufacturers make optional pull out trays at 22 9/16 deep. Lets just call that 22 1/2" for all intents. That leaves just over a half inch space/gap left over behind the drawer.

Where do you come up with a 6" waste of space?

You have to have a 1" waste of space on each side due to the drawer guides. The guides take up a half inch on each side in a faceless euro cabinet and a face cabinet add the 3/4" the frame intrudes into the box opening. So the most space you can possibly lose is from 1" to 2 1/2 depending on box construction.

Yes Home Depot sells those baskets that are one size fits all. But they have several sizes. And one of them is just about 22".
My cabs are Euro style and only have a 1/4" back. So, they are 24" deep with the doors on the outside - I measured them. I lose 1" on the sides for the slides. It more than makes up for it by making the back accessible. Face frames do chew up the interior space more, including on the sides. 6" are lost if you use the stock 18" deep drawers which were listed in the Home Depot link 1st up for the price you quoted. The 22" ones are more $$. You may lose more if your cabs are wider than the stock drawer widths or if you use the wire baskets with the flaring sides.

I will agree that the stock wire baskets are better than nothing, but I am very pleased with my cheap and efficient homemade custom sized ones.

Old 05-01-2013, 02:18 AM

2 posts, read 3,371 times
Wow, I just used the slide outs from my old dresser that I was throwing out, cut the drawers in half, took off the face,flipped it around, re-attached the ends, cut and re-attached the base, used 1'by1' boards to make a support for the pullouts, measured, and it cost me a total of $7.58 for the nails and the wood. The dresser was clean, but 13 years old, use a mixture of clove oil and purified water to freshen up the wood or lavender oil. Mine look and work the same as the ones installed on This Old House. I already owned the drill and jigsaw, so no extra money spent for four pullouts for my base cabinet. If you don't have an old dresser at home like I did, buy one at a thrift store, cleaned the parts with Mr. Clean or bleach and voila. $22.00 dollars for one shelf, whew. If you are not handy and have the money, understandable. I can use the extra money to buy gas. 4 whole gallons of it.

Old 05-01-2013, 02:19 AM

2 posts, read 3,371 times
Oh and use wood glue to sealed it before screwing it all together.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House