Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-29-2008, 01:28 PM

3,032 posts, read 8,921,065 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by drb85650 View Post
If I'd not experienced such events it would follow my upbringing and beliefs to agree with you. Because of certain events, I cannot.
I do wish to say that such "hauntings" or possessed places are not always the site of some horrendous deed. My workplace is over 130 years old and was the site of 2 official hangings. I regularly work directly under the trap door, the deceased are buried just up the hill.Yet I've never felt any type of threat or evil in the building. There are some churches I have felt great evil at times.
It is my opinion that hauntings/possessions whatever they be called are not of a godly source, but in fact represent evil taking varying forms.
That said, I also discount most of these tv shows on the "supernatural" and the detection of same.
The human mind is capable of being wonderfully imaginative.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-29-2008, 02:01 PM

20,958 posts, read 45,404,950 times
My theory is that the "supernatural" is simply the "natural" that we haven't figured out yet. Once I figured out that Man, in his Infinite Wisdom, still doesn't know or understand everything, I relaxed and found it unnecessary to be either fearful or dubious. (Which doesn't mean I believe everything I'm told, just that I'm more open to the possibilities of the unknown.)

Old 10-30-2008, 01:04 AM

14,100 posts, read 28,530,849 times
October 1990 the USS Iwo Jima LPH-2 suffered a major steam leak. Over 600 psi steam at over 800 degrees blew off the valve bonnet and in about 2 seconds it displaced the air in a 2 1/2 story boiler room. The force of the blast was so great that it bowed outward the steel bulkheads and ripped the insulation off. Six engineers died instantly. They were the lucky ones. Four others died later. I arrived onboard within a few weeks after the accident. We steamed through Desert Storm and returned to homeport and shut everything down. We were all familiar with the sounds of thermal contraction of the steel going from over 100 degrees down to 60 or 70 degrees so most of the creeks and rattles were easily explained. We all occasionally saw shadow images like someone passing quickly off the side of our field of vision. Sometimes we heard hammering when there was no one there and no steam in the pipes (steam causes water hammer effect). That ship was absolutely haunted by those who were killed instantly by the steam.

Old 11-03-2008, 11:52 AM

687 posts, read 2,951,897 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuSuSushi View Post
The human mind is capable of being wonderfully imaginative.
I agree. It is also capable of setting limits to what it can comprehend.

Old 11-03-2008, 03:47 PM

5,245 posts, read 16,429,742 times
My grandparents had an incredibly gorgeous old turn of the century home up north when I was little. I loved that place. My Gram swore it was haunted by a female ghost that watched over my cousin while she was little. They kept a rocking chair in the nursery and they'd hear it rocking, floorboards creaking at night. They didn't have A/C in the house and the windows would be closed tight, but that chair still rocked every night.

Then my aunt started dating a guy that was a real piece of dirt. He came to the house to pick my aunt up the first night and my Gram said the shotguns my grandaddy kept in the upstairs closet directly over the foyer started banging on the floors in the closet until the guy left. They found out later he was wanted to nearly killing a previous GF in a fit of rage.

The people that bought the house after she moved out wound up tearing it down. They said they thought it was haunted and it creeped them out. The built some hideous monstrosity in it's place. Made me sad. If there was a ghost there she was obviously a kind one, and wound up 'homeless', if that's possible for the undead.

My great-aunt also had one that she said was haunted by an indian that liked to play tricks on them. It would lock doors and trap them in rooms and move things. My aunt was a huge indian buff and had tons of arrowheads that they'd found on their property over the years. They had all the artifacts framed as they found them and kept them in the front sunroom. She decided to dedicate her old sewing room to the artifacts and moved them one day. The next morning she found every framed arrowhead broken on the ground in the room.

She moved them back to the sunroom where she'd had them originally and never had another problem. They hang there to this day. And she says the indian still plays pranks on them. They think it's pretty cool.

I've never personally lived in a home I thought was haunted, though I remember when I was really young waking up in the middle of the night to find my grandaddy sitting on the foot of my bed smiling at me. I rolled over and went back to sleep and found out the next afternoon that he'd died about the time I woke up and saw him. He'd had cancer for a couple years. Many years later I was talking to my gramma about it and she mentioned that my cousin had a dream that he was in her room that night too. As Gram and I compared stories we realized she and I had seen the same thing. Of all the grandkids she and I had been closest to him. So, was it in our heads or was he really there to say good-bye? Who knows......

Old 07-16-2011, 10:20 PM

1 posts, read 1,196 times
My firends house we thank is possessed because one time i spent the night and we were ok we didnt see or here anything but in the morning we were alone and we heard a noise down the hall. so we went down the hall and we heard something downstairs. so we went downstairs and heard footsteps upstairs. we ran upsairs and called her mom and she came and we were ok for that day. A couple days later we say a shadow run across the floor and we think that it is her brother or sister. Before her sister and after her birth her mom had a misscarege. And about an hour ago before i got on to look for stuff about this i saw a foggy shadow about half size of the door. We are really scared, but thats because were 13 years old and because this stuff is freaky!!! Help us....

Old 07-16-2011, 11:02 PM

30,253 posts, read 23,737,137 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoMark View Post
Back in 1969...
I must ask this...are those REAL rep points? That many? Really?? Edit - Er...n/m, just read the user's profile and messages...not going to get a response from him, am I.

Old 07-17-2011, 11:04 AM

43,854 posts, read 51,184,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasHorseLady View Post
My theory is that the "supernatural" is simply the "natural" that we haven't figured out yet. Once I figured out that Man, in his Infinite Wisdom, still doesn't know or understand everything, I relaxed and found it unnecessary to be either fearful or dubious. (Which doesn't mean I believe everything I'm told, just that I'm more open to the possibilities of the unknown.)
I feel much the same way. Obviously there are things in life we don't understand at this point....doesn't make them less real. Then again, I don't really spend any time pondering the unreal either.

Old 07-17-2011, 11:35 AM

1,976 posts, read 6,860,686 times
The house we bought had a death in it and that was why it was on the market. The previous owner committed suicide, probably overdose. The heirs were trying to sell and with the money support the kid and his/her future plans. In California apparently they have to disclose his for 3 years, we didn't know this but were told so by the agent. I actually put this house higher on the list, because I know suicide is a sign of depression. The owner should have gotten treatment for it and that would have prevented this tragedy. I felt that buy not buying the house we are making the heirs suffer even more. We have lived here for a few years and no "unusual activity" to mention. Though gotta say I am a pretty simple man and if I hear a noise I just track it down and find the source.

Old 07-19-2011, 06:09 PM

308 posts, read 600,464 times
There was this one time at band camp.......
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House