Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-15-2011, 09:43 AM

1 posts, read 4,710 times

Advertisements

Wanted to replace casements to double hung. Husband and son ordered new casement windows without my knowledge. Hate casement-all broke, came off track, handles broke etc. This is on addition to existing house about 15 yrs. Old. Son a contractor says I can't get double hung. Don't understand - something about egress.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2011, 04:02 PM

6,109 posts, read 10,888,666 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marian migliore View Post
Wanted to replace casements to double hung. Husband and son ordered new casement windows without my knowledge. Hate casement-all broke, came off track, handles broke etc. This is on addition to existing house about 15 yrs. Old. Son a contractor says I can't get double hung. Don't understand - something about egress.
You need 5.7 clear s.f. with a minimum of 24" in any direction to be able to get out of a bedroom window in case of an emergency. The minimum size of an egress double hung window is pretty big- 37" x 57" so if your rough opening is smaller than that you can't have a double hung window.

Old 01-15-2011, 04:30 PM

16,787 posts, read 49,049,969 times
If the windows are 20+ years old, they probably don't have insulated glass, or if they did the seals are probably all gone now anyway. Double hung insulated glass windows will seal and insulate better. So this is not a bad idea, but it won't be cheap.

Old 01-16-2011, 09:29 PM

5,696 posts, read 19,138,288 times
Yes. My FIL changed all his and his house was built in the 50's. It cost more than just an average window replacement because the inside of the window opening needed to be changed. Nothing major just a little more work. I do not know about places in Indiana but when I lived in MI there is a very well known company called Wallside Windows and they made all their windows in their factory to your specs. I had all the windows replaced in my last house. I had them come out, they measured and 6 weeks later all the windows were installed. My FIL used the same company. I can't imagine that this practice is out of the norm. As far as having a double hung over the sink, I have never lived in a house that had anything other than that. I am 5'4 and never had an issue not being able to open a window above a sink. Casement windows are cool but I have known two people that owned them and all they did was complain about them. Either the windows do not close tightly or the cranks broke all the time.

Old 01-16-2011, 11:20 PM

28,455 posts, read 85,339,930 times
Default Cap...

Quote:
Originally Posted by CptnRn View Post
If the windows are 20+ years old, they probably don't have insulated glass, or if they did the seals are probably all gone now anyway. Double hung insulated glass windows will seal and insulate better. So this is not a bad idea, but it won't be cheap.
AndersenWindows.com | Windows & Doors | Company History

Andersen has been making insulated dual pane windows since 1952, the majority of which have been casement. Now granted if someone has a 59 year old original Andersen it probably ain't sealing real tight anymore, but yup make it sound like Thermopanes were unknown until Clinton administration and quite the opposite, casements seal better than double hungs!

Andersen is a large company that has many different product lines / divisions but I have to say that the products are among the better quality options at each price point. It does not make sense that a propely installed casement with normal levels of breeze would be damaged merely by being left open, only way that could happen is if the window was huge -- rough opening wider than24 inches or so. Theme the torque might be too great, though honestly with such a big window I woulid think just having it opened a little bit would be sufficient for air flow...

Old 01-17-2011, 06:55 AM

18,467 posts, read 31,621,245 times
Double hung are the easiest to clean, they just tilt in and poof, clean windows. I wouldn't have any other type of window.
I understand about the opening of "crank out" over the sink though, but I would still go with double hung, they slide up and down easy, besides over the sink, just how big a window could it possibly be?

Old 03-20-2012, 04:06 PM

1 posts, read 4,125 times
I have 400 series crank out windows. When the wind blows the window will move 2 to 3 inches and squeak. It drives me nuts. Can anyone help me on what to do. I cant leave the windows open when there is any wind

Old 03-22-2012, 03:25 PM

17,473 posts, read 66,010,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mccauley1 View Post
I have 400 series crank out windows. When the wind blows the window will move 2 to 3 inches and squeak. It drives me nuts. Can anyone help me on what to do. I cant leave the windows open when there is any wind

Sounds like the gearbox is about worn out. Probably need to be replaced along with the arm(s). There are also limiters for casements today.
The biggest shortfall of casements is placement and opening direction for prevailing winds- that's the one area that always gets overlooked. The other culprit is just P*-poor installation.
I love the look of casement windows and even their operation. But sometimes a "casement" is not the best window for a particular placement- that's when "awning" types come into play.

Take a look at Truth's catalog-
Truth Hardware Catalog

Truth is the leading producer and supplier of mechanical hardware for casement window manufacturers.

Old 04-10-2013, 03:05 PM

1 posts, read 3,594 times
You really have to be careful - many smaller casements meet egress codes. While you may replace a non-egress window with the same in many jurisdictions and circumstances, you may NOT remove an egress window and make it a non-egress one. Most single and double hungs smaller than 36"x60" do NOT comply with egress regulations. Seems like if your windows are 20 years old they need to be replaced - why now get quality casements and make it easy on yourself? Changing window style may create an odd house no one would want to buy, so care is also needed with esthetics.

Old 04-11-2013, 07:24 AM

30,708 posts, read 79,772,406 times
Get better windows. WE had casement windows in California and they sustained 70 MPH gusts when they were opened. (They were not open to a full 90 degrees though I am not sure anything could take that much force. There are easy to change to Double hung, i is nto a difficult job. We did change some Jailousied windows to double hung and it cost about $250 per window. We had the replacement windows custom made to match our house.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House