Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-19-2009, 08:46 AM

14 posts, read 136,622 times

Advertisements

We are buying a 2788 square foot new construction home in Cary, NC. The base price was $296k and we added some structural upgrades. We have now set a budget of about $20k for design center upgrades and are trying to decide where the money is best spent.

The home comes standard with level 1 Bruce Turlington 3 inch engineered oak hardwoods in the foyer, dining, kitchen, and breakfast area. Total area of about 563 square feet. You get 4 colors to choose from - natural, butterscotch, gunstock, and woodstock. We were planning to stick with the engineered hardwoods until we saw the samples. The colors just aren't what we had in mind, especially since we already have our hearts set on dark brown cabinets for the kitchen. And honestly, the samples just looked cheap!!

So now we are considering upgrading to a level 2 Bruce Kennedale 3 1/2 inch solid maple hardwood in a nice brown color that complements our cabinets. Problem is they would charge us about $4500 for this upgrade. We don't mind paying the money if it's reasonable and not a ripoff by going through the builder. Would you pay that much to upgrade 563 square feet from engineered oak with a 15 year warranty in an OK color to solid maple with a 25 year warranty in a color your really liked?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2009, 09:11 AM

8,309 posts, read 38,799,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mink&Monk View Post
We are buying a 2788 square foot new construction home in Cary, NC. The base price was $296k and we added some structural upgrades. We have now set a budget of about $20k for design center upgrades and are trying to decide where the money is best spent.

The home comes standard with level 1 Bruce Turlington 3 inch engineered oak hardwoods in the foyer, dining, kitchen, and breakfast area. Total area of about 563 square feet. You get 4 colors to choose from - natural, butterscotch, gunstock, and woodstock. We were planning to stick with the engineered hardwoods until we saw the samples. The colors just aren't what we had in mind, especially since we already have our hearts set on dark brown cabinets for the kitchen. And honestly, the samples just looked cheap!!

So now we are considering upgrading to a level 2 Bruce Kennedale 3 1/2 inch solid maple hardwood in a nice brown color that complements our cabinets. Problem is they would charge us about $4500 for this upgrade. We don't mind paying the money if it's reasonable and not a ripoff by going through the builder. Would you pay that much to upgrade 563 square feet from engineered oak with a 15 year warranty in an OK color to solid maple with a 25 year warranty in a color your really liked?
The walk-out materials price for you (as a non-contractor) for pre-finished maple flooring would probably be somewhere between $2000 and $3000. You could probably find labor for under $1000 and possibly considerably less. To go with unfinished maple your materials would be somewhere between $600-$2000 with some additional labor.

$8/SqFt is on the high side, but not necessarily unreasonable. If you have resources and are willing to deal with headaches you could certainly get the same floors for a lot less money and I imagine that $6 out of every $8 per square foot are going straight into the builder's pocket. It just depends on whether you want to roll that $4500 into a mortgage or pay a smaller dollar amount with a bigger headache out of pocket.

Old 03-19-2009, 10:43 AM

600 posts, read 3,450,480 times
This is NOT a solicitation.

I work for a flooring co. in Zebulon, N.C., about 35 miles from you. so I know your market area pretty well. I live in Cary as well.
So here's some data with which you can work:

Turlington Plank sells for around $5.25 - $5.50 /sf in our area. It is a 3/8" engineered floor, and is considered a commodity-type product. It is a good floor, but nothing to get excited about. We install that floor for around $2.25 - $2.50 /sf. Note that these are retail-ish prices.

The Kennedale is a 3/4" thick solid maple floor that we sell for around $8.50 - $8.95 /sf. The installation of that floor is around $2.50 - $2.75 / sf. Kennedale is considered an "Exotic" by Bruce, and maple is a bit pricey these days. But it is a substantial upgrade from the Turlington.

There are some incidental costs incurred for thresholds, reducers, etc., but the hard costs are the ones I've included for your use.

Doing some easy math, it looks like the upgrade cost for the Kennedale is fairly expensive.

Send me a DM if you have any questions, or if you want any further info.
Regards,
Streamer1212

Old 03-19-2009, 11:17 AM

4,078 posts, read 5,614,799 times
For an upgrade, $4500 seems steep. $8/sf for an upgrade? Not right. The previous poster seems spot on. It should be no more than $5/sf.

Old 03-19-2009, 11:27 AM

9,196 posts, read 24,955,031 times
Quote:
We already have our hearts set on dark brown cabinets for the kitchen. So now we are considering upgrading to a level 2 Bruce Kennedale 3 1/2 inch solid maple hardwood in a nice brown color that complements our cabinets.
Dark brown cabinets AND [dark?] brown floors?? Uggh. Gloomy. I can't see your cabinets, but I would think a nice light natural maple floor would complement the cabinets much more nicely than a medium or dark floor. All a matter of personal taste, I guess.

Old 03-19-2009, 11:27 AM

230 posts, read 1,216,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimboburnsy View Post
It just depends on whether you want to roll that $4500 into a mortgage or pay a smaller dollar amount with a bigger headache out of pocket.
Bingo. Most "design-center" options are overpriced, and can be done cheaper elsewhere, however you will be going out-of-pocket with those costs and not have them built-into your mortgage. Do you have the extra cash on hand? If so, then it might be worth it. You could be saving 1,000 on this upgrade, but you will be shelling out 3K in cash you might need elsewhere right now. It all depends.

Old 03-19-2009, 05:03 PM

Thank you all for your comments. I am a bit taken aback by the cost of the upgrade, and you get NO credit for the engineered wood that comes standard. Well, they say you do, but it's already reflected in the $4500. I guess that is one of the pitfalls of new construction, and I must just suck it up and deal with it!

Old 03-20-2009, 12:28 AM

275 posts, read 1,762,036 times
Default Design Center Options = $$$

Quote:
Thank you all for your comments. I am a bit taken aback by the cost of the upgrade, and you get NO credit for the engineered wood that comes standard. Well, they say you do, but it's already reflected in the $4500. I guess that is one of the pitfalls of new construction, and I must just suck it up and deal with it!
I've been told (and based on my experience I think its correct), that the builders mark up on the design center options is basically their cost for the option. That's why buying those options through the builder is so expensive. In the end you end up paying for the convenience, which is what I did.

Good luck whatever you decide and congratulations on your new house!

By the way, we have Bruce's hardwood floor in butterscotch in our kitchen with maple spice cabinets. I can dig up a picture to post if you want to see it.

Old 03-20-2009, 04:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mjames View Post
I've been told (and based on my experience I think its correct), that the builders mark up on the design center options is basically their cost for the option. That's why buying those options through the builder is so expensive. In the end you end up paying for the convenience, which is what I did.

Good luck whatever you decide and congratulations on your new house!

By the way, we have Bruce's hardwood floor in butterscotch in our kitchen with maple spice cabinets. I can dig up a picture to post if you want to see it.
Yes, please, I would love to see your kitchen! I am checking out all ideas at this point!

Old 03-22-2009, 10:21 AM

275 posts, read 1,762,036 times
Default Kitchen Picture

Quote:
Yes, please, I would love to see your kitchen! I am checking out all ideas at this point!
Here ya go!

Click image for larger version

Name:	Kitchen-3.jpg
Views:	44471
Size:	152.3 KB
ID:	38458
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House