Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Are you concerned about lead paint in your house affecting your health?
Yes, very much so, it worries me. 1 4.35%
Somewhat, but it's not something I think about much. 1 4.35%
Not at all. 21 91.30%
Voters: 23. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-21-2009, 09:35 AM

791 posts, read 1,434,560 times

Advertisements

I'm contemplating starting a business doing on-site lead paint testing in peoples houses. Unfortunately, the EPA and state authorities require that I take a "training course" to do so, which costs anywhere from 300 to 800 dollars. (To teach me what I already know or could easily pick up from a book, grrrrr) Before I do this, I'd like to test the waters and see if anyone would be interested. I'd charge $50 - $100, depending on how extensive the testing was.

Any input would be deeply appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-21-2009, 11:00 AM

24,832 posts, read 37,359,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WildCardSteve View Post
I'm contemplating starting a business doing on-site lead paint testing in peoples houses. Unfortunately, the EPA and state authorities require that I take a "training course" to do so, which costs anywhere from 300 to 800 dollars. (To teach me what I already know or could easily pick up from a book, grrrrr) Before I do this, I'd like to test the waters and see if anyone would be interested. I'd charge $50 - $100, depending on how extensive the testing was.

Any input would be deeply appreciated.
I am not sure where you live but, HUD has funds for this. Check with your county to register.

Old 03-21-2009, 11:06 AM

20,958 posts, read 45,423,966 times
Unless your house was built before 1978 (mine was actually built in the 1930's), it's not an issue. For older homes, yes, one should be aware of it and, perhaps, have testing done.

Old 03-21-2009, 11:27 AM

7,079 posts, read 37,950,467 times
There are LOTS of cheap, accurate lead paint testing kits on the market that homeowners can do themselves. I think you'd have a hard time making a living doing this.

Old 03-21-2009, 12:10 PM

24,832 posts, read 37,359,408 times
The money is in the clean up.

Old 03-21-2009, 01:20 PM

5,615 posts, read 14,798,421 times
Not worried - my place was built in 1992.

I'll chime in and agree that the real money is in the cleanup. Kind of like asbestos abatement.

Old 03-21-2009, 04:21 PM

3,503 posts, read 19,894,397 times
I have old houses built in the 30's and 40's. i had to sign a lead paint waiver for every one of them when I gought them. the only real problem with lead paint is if it is peeling or you have little ones who a apt to chew on the wood. Like kids will chew on a window sill when looking out the window. I don;t rent to anyone with little kids. I've also painted over any paint that was there and or removed the paint and repainted.
I would think that people would only need testing if they plan to remove the paint. If it is lead, it takes EPA rules and HUD inspections to do it if you tell.

Old 03-22-2009, 08:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viralmd View Post
There are LOTS of cheap, accurate lead paint testing kits on the market that homeowners can do themselves. I think you'd have a hard time making a living doing this.
I have a document promulgated by the Department of Labor that calls me to question how accurate they are. False negative results are a problem, especially if the test is being conducted by an amateur. There are ways around these interferences that I would use, because I'm not an amateur - I used to test for lead using AA, ICP, and the colorimetric dithizone method. These false negative results can be avoided using proper sample prep techniques.

Last edited by WildCardSteve; 03-22-2009 at 10:17 AM..

Old 03-22-2009, 08:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShaneSA View Post
I have old houses built in the 30's and 40's. i had to sign a lead paint waiver for every one of them when I gought them. the only real problem with lead paint is if it is peeling or you have little ones who a apt to chew on the wood. Like kids will chew on a window sill when looking out the window. I don;t rent to anyone with little kids. I've also painted over any paint that was there and or removed the paint and repainted.
I would think that people would only need testing if they plan to remove the paint. If it is lead, it takes EPA rules and HUD inspections to do it if you tell.
The paint doesn't have to be peeling.

You can also get lead contamination from dust shed from surfaces that rub, or where there is friction, like door jambs and windows.

And, there really is no safe level of exposure, particularly for children.

Last edited by WildCardSteve; 03-22-2009 at 10:17 AM..

Old 03-22-2009, 10:22 AM

5,615 posts, read 14,798,421 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WildCardSteve View Post
The paint doesn't have to be peeling.

You can also get lead contamination from dust shed from surfaces that rub, or where there is friction, like door jambs and windows.

And, there really is no safe level of exposure, particularly for children.
There's a safe level of exposure for everything - radiation, lead, even water. Small amounts for the first two, much larger for the third. It's when you exceed that level that the problems begin.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House