Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-19-2009, 12:21 PM

1,219 posts, read 4,217,247 times

Advertisements

I'm wondering how much it might cost, roughly, to hire someone to rototill the spot I want to garden-or perhaps, even to dig it up with a bobcat or whatever. We already cut out tons of forsythia from the area, so there are roots left.
I also have a big pile of brush that needs chipping or removal.

I know we can rent a rototiller and till it, and probably rent a chippper too-I'm trying to figure out if I'm better off paying someone to do it, rather than dh and I taking days off work, paying the rental place, hauling the equipment around (the tiller is BIG) and doing all the labor. I think someone with the right equipment could do it easier and faster, but I have no clue of cost. $100, $500, I have no idea. Any rough gusses? I hesitated to call a landscape place because I don't want it all landscaped-just the 'rough' work really. We're doing all the rest ourselves.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2009, 12:43 PM

23,589 posts, read 70,358,767 times
How much you pay depends on where you are. Around here $60 will get a farmer with a three point hitch tiller to do an average garden. Chipping could be as expensive or more, since it is more labor intensive.

Unless you are really tight on money, I'd suggest hiring it all done. Tilling a garden that has been broken in can be done with a rental, a new one may need to be harrowed first anyway.

Old 03-19-2009, 12:50 PM

559 posts, read 1,355,896 times
Our farmer that brush hogs our farm charges by the day for him and his machine. Trust me, it is about the only trade the DH allows on the property, it is THAT worth hiring out for.........

Old 03-19-2009, 12:52 PM

24,665 posts, read 69,673,728 times
Ditto that it depends on where you are as far as outside help is concerned. The best machine I ever rented or used was a DR Trimmer. Cleaned out a nasty large area quickly and easily and if I were in the same situation again with land to clear and keep clear I would buy one in a heartbeat. They come in quite a variety with different attachments. Mine was a pushalong but I see now you can get a sit-on version. Cheers!

Old 03-19-2009, 12:55 PM

1,219 posts, read 4,217,247 times
I'm in CT, kind of in the city so no close farmers but I suppose I could seek one on Craigslist-I hadn't thought of a farmer to do it, that's a good idea!

I was just looking on the rental place's site and the chipper is HUGE. I'm really thinking I want to hire this out-dh is pretty stubborn about not having 'help' to do anything but neither him nor I need to be hurt trying to dig up a garden by hand, like a caveman, either : )

Old 03-20-2009, 08:21 AM

4,705 posts, read 25,289,485 times
I few years ago I bought a chipper. I bought a medium priced one at Lowes. It has got to be one of the best garden purchases I have ever made.

I hired some bobcat work done and the guy just charged by the hour. It was amazing to me just how much they can do in an hour. You might look for landscapers, or excavators too. If the ground has never been worked, the first go around will be tough. Doing it yourself can be back breaking for the following reasons: 1. if you are not used to that kind of labor, 2. the ground just laughs at the tillers and it bounces off like it was concrete, 3. the tiller is too small for the job.

Old 03-20-2009, 09:22 AM

18,949 posts, read 43,571,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barking Spider View Post
I few years ago I bought a chipper. I bought a medium priced one at Lowes. It has got to be one of the best garden purchases I have ever made.
I have a DR chipper and it too was money well spent, the brush goes right through it. My next purchase will be a good tiller.

Old 03-20-2009, 07:24 PM

41,813 posts, read 51,023,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wanderintonc View Post
We already cut out tons of forsythia from the area, so there are roots left.
High strength Rope > Hitch on truck > Rip out of Ground

You might be able to still do that however its much easier when the bushes are still intact.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House