Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-01-2009, 09:27 AM

18,361 posts, read 31,439,029 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by motormaker View Post
How's about "popcorn" ceilings?
LOL, I have popcorn ceilings, and I think hummm, maybe they are out of style.... But, It is my house and I still like them. I like the texture of the ceilings to be different than the walls.....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-2009, 08:19 PM

18,929 posts, read 43,234,041 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightcrawler View Post
LOL, I have popcorn ceilings, and I think hummm, maybe they are out of style.... But, It is my house and I still like them. I like the texture of the ceilings to be different than the walls.....
LOL, me too.

Some builders are still using the popcorn texture today in new houses because it's faster and cheaper.

Old 04-06-2009, 04:45 PM

30,702 posts, read 79,356,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donn2390 View Post
Not everyone who spends money to upgrade their homes does it because they watch too much HGTV..! Some people like to have nice things..! Everyone has their own idea on how to spend their money.
Many spent a fortune on golf, hunting, fishing, racing.... jewelry, you name it, everyone is different.
I prefer to live in a show piece. I spend a lot time and money to keep my home looking beautiful and perfect at all times. My home is custom built, and only five years old, but I am currently spending about $100 K, redoing the landscaping in the back yard, remodeling the kitchen, and replacing the floors. The home is only a few years old, everything is still perfect, but I want upscale. Why not..? I love living in a beautiful home, I can afford it, there is no reason not to live in style. If I don't spend it and enjoy it, my daughter will enjoy it for me when I'm gone. I plan to leave her plenty, but she doesn't need it all...! I sacrificed and slaved many years to be able to afford to live well.
So there is nothing wrong with those who wish to spend their money to make their home all that it can be, and I also understand those who are raising kids, have a busy schedule, and not a lot of extra cash laying around. Their lifestyle will be different, but if they watch their money as closely as I have, their time will come..

Because you could donate the money to your local soup kitchen and live comfortably in your already perfect home while knowing that several dozen people, including children will not starve to death thanks to your donation. Or pay for somone's college education who otherwise would end up living on unemployment and welfare? Or pay for an operation that will give life to a dying child. Or support research into preventing or treating cancer or some other disease (the life that you save may be your own). Or give it to me.

Old 04-07-2009, 03:41 PM

16,548 posts, read 17,312,990 times
My previous property was considered outdated a few years after it was first built and had an entire new front put on.

The original was 1692 and the update was 1739.

Old 04-07-2009, 06:43 PM

5,019 posts, read 14,074,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jezer View Post
My previous property was considered outdated a few years after it was first built and had an entire new front put on.

The original was 1692 and the update was 1739.

Best post of the day.

Old 04-10-2009, 06:35 PM

32,764 posts, read 35,972,154 times
I don't know Donn, I think that she's going to rip everything out and remodel.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donn2390 View Post
Not everyone who spends money to upgrade their homes does it because they watch too much HGTV..! Some people like to have nice things..! Everyone has their own idea on how to spend their money.
Many spent a fortune on golf, hunting, fishing, racing.... jewelry, you name it, everyone is different.
I prefer to live in a show piece. I spend a lot time and money to keep my home looking beautiful and perfect at all times. My home is custom built, and only five years old, but I am currently spending about $100 K, redoing the landscaping in the back yard, remodeling the kitchen, and replacing the floors. The home is only a few years old, everything is still perfect, but I want upscale. Why not..? I love living in a beautiful home, I can afford it, there is no reason not to live in style. If I don't spend it and enjoy it, my daughter will enjoy it for me when I'm gone. I plan to leave her plenty, but she doesn't need it all...! I sacrificed and slaved many years to be able to afford to live well.
So there is nothing wrong with those who wish to spend their money to make their home all that it can be, and I also understand those who are raising kids, have a busy schedule, and not a lot of extra cash laying around. Their lifestyle will be different, but if they watch their money as closely as I have, their time will come..

Old 04-11-2009, 09:40 AM

27,234 posts, read 27,297,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fjtee View Post
Outdated doesn't mean you have to change it. It simply means it's from another decade and usually not in a charming manner. Some people even like outdated stuff.

I'm assuming your questions are in relation to selling. When selling all of my outdated homes, I would fix those things that were actually broken or attack some things with paint. Once I even had a friend redo a floor. I've rearranged furniture and planted flowers, but never purchased new furniture. At that time, my labor was cheap and my cash flow low.

Keep in mind that you can go crazy trying to appeal to everyone and you never will. And, again, there are people who like outdated things.

Just my 2 cents as someone who is far from an expert in real estate, but who has sold and bought a few homes in her lifetime.

I agree. Im an old-fashioned person who isnt out to applease to everyone. If it works, stuill functions, why 'upgrade'? I can understand some things needing to be replaced, such as plumbing or electrical (that old wirinf is scarey) but you wont see the 'contemporary' or 'futuristic' look in my home just because its something everyone thinks I should have.

Old 04-12-2009, 10:21 PM

3,982 posts, read 6,694,541 times
Outdated is a good term for advertising people to use as they want to sell you something you don't really need with money you haven't got.

Old 06-15-2009, 11:18 AM

635 posts, read 3,082,897 times
Default "Outdated" is more often than not.... Marketing

As pointed out already "outdated" is almost always driven by fashion, and/or [insert relevant industry] telling the consumer that they need to "upgrade"!

We too live in an 80 year old(this year) house, and most of what was "updated" has either been removed and returned to its more practical original design, or failed and has been restored to the more durable original implementation.

People are often sold a fictitious "bill of goods" that the new model is better in any number of ways, but it often comes down to "feature crreep" and the true utility shown to still be the "80/20" rule.... where for example the original washer/dryer with just 3 simply wash settings was actually "good enough"

Of course, we have had some things.... well, many things..... improve over time. Efficiencies of air-conditioners(although not durability), air-bags in cars, anti-lock brakes, insulating materials, electrical code, etc.... all are indeed examples of "updated" technologies and features that are desirable.

But I am one that also recognizes that simple age doesn't guarantee obsolescence

For example, read the following regarding Chambers Stoves:

KEEP YOUR CHAMBERS RANGE!!!

This is basically our current stove(no window in our stove):

O'Keefe & Merritt oven with glass door 36" Antique Gas Stoves

But we are in the process of restoring a Chambers Imperial.

As many have already said, many tried and true solutions and products will stand the test of time, and this is especially true of those that were designed with simplicity and serviceability in mind. When we moved to a more disposable and planned obsolescence model is when we actually invented truly eventually "outdated" products.

Al

Old 06-15-2009, 01:52 PM

30,702 posts, read 79,356,279 times
Apparently, I am the definition of outdated. Just ask my kids.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House