Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-28-2009, 11:19 PM

183 posts, read 618,896 times

Advertisements

We are about to buy a home and the basement is 'finished' but not in my opinion, maybe in 1958 but not now. It has a type of particle board for walls and looks a lot like this

http://www.diychatroom.com/attachmen...e-dscf0840.jpg

What is involved with replacing it with Sheetrock and regular 'modern' walls....I guess what I am asking is this just Sheetrock prepped and painted or something more involved?

http://affordablehandycompany.com/ga...d_Basement.jpg

I am obviously not into construction
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-29-2009, 11:53 PM

83 posts, read 259,484 times
Hmm.. you can try to search for some DIY sites that can help you with your problem..

Old 03-30-2009, 06:00 AM

4,620 posts, read 14,985,603 times
First I'd figure out what's behind the particle board. What is it attached to: 2x4s (16 or 24 on center)? strapping? affixed directly to the foundation? Is there a moisture barrier and insulation? If so, then you can either paint the particle board as is (which I don't think will give you the look you desire) or add sheetrock over it. But if there's no moisture barrier or insulation, then you'll want to pull off the particle board and start from scratch.

Old 03-30-2009, 12:36 PM

8,309 posts, read 38,776,945 times
If you have a drop ceiling like the one in the picture you may want to look above it to see if you have access to plumbing and electrical up there. If you do, you may want to keep the drop ceiling or at least figure out some way to keep access to the wiring/pipes.

Remodeling the basement the right way probably means tearing out the particle board. I would want to do it just to make sure that I didn't have any problems with the framing behind it and there will never be a better time to insulate, re-plumb or re-wire. Tacking sheetrock directly to the particle board will probably not create any problems, but installing casing and trim around doorframes will become much more challenging.

The second pic you posted is probably just sheetrock that has been painted, maybe a bit of texture over it. Nothing terribly special goes into that look.

Installing sheetrock is really pretty simple. Finishing sheetrock is tedious and definitely has a learning curve, but it isn't surgery. There isn't any reason that you can not do all of this work yourself. Whether or not you can achieve at least a satisfactory result is a function of (i) if you have any native handymanliness, (ii) how precise a worker you are and (iii) how confident you are and how quickly you can learn. To get a better idea of whether or not you are up to the task, check out this site: How to Install Drywall | Hanging Drywall | Sheetrock Installation | Installing Sheetrock
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House