Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-02-2012, 04:30 PM

699 posts, read 1,705,773 times

Advertisements

Our new home has two sets of French doors with no screens. From what I hear, the screens that hang from the top of the door with the magnets to keep them closed are pretty useless.

I've looked on the internet for various screens that retract into a housing. Somehow, it seems our mutts would make short work of them.

Wondering if it is possible to get sliding glass doors except with screens to mount on the outside of the French doors. Does anyone have that?

Or have a better solution?

Any suggestions here would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
Quick reply to this message

Old 05-02-2012, 04:37 PM

464 posts, read 1,043,505 times
We just put up one of those retractable screens on our front door and we have two cats. Our neighbors have three dogs and put up the same model as us.

We saw the vendor at the home show a few weeks ago and after his demonstration of the "super screen" upgrade (he proceeded to poke a pen all the way through the screen and then rubbed his fingers over the whole and the hole closed right up and was barely noticeable.

It gives a little at the top and bottom and is held in place by commercial magnets.

Neither our cats nor the neighbors three dogs have destroyed it yet and they actually enjoy the fresh air.

I would be happy to provide the recommendation via PM if you want.

Old 05-02-2012, 05:41 PM

4,918 posts, read 22,673,640 times
First, find out who is the manufacture of the door and contact them to see if they also have screens designed to fit and go with their doors.

Next, take a trip to your local home improvement store and look at the pre-made screens they sell. Vist several as the variety varies.

If that doen;t work, stop in any local retail door store and talk to them about it since they may have or can order or manufacture screens to your needs.

The only thing you didn't mention was are these in or out swing doors?

Old 05-02-2012, 06:38 PM

5,696 posts, read 19,136,991 times
I have a set of french doors BUT only one side actually opens so not sure if they technically are classified as french doors. Anyway, ours has a screen that slides back and forth like a patio door. It was here when we moved in. Not sure if the previous owners added it or bought it with the door. I have seen them at Lowes.

Old 05-02-2012, 07:18 PM

2,427 posts, read 3,563,757 times
I have a set of french doors as well and I have a sliding screen door. For the screen I had heavy duty screen put in because I have a cat and a dog..mostly because of the cat!

Old 05-02-2012, 07:36 PM

17,472 posts, read 66,002,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fallingwater View Post
I have a set of french doors BUT only one side actually opens so not sure if they technically are classified as french doors. Anyway, ours has a screen that slides back and forth like a patio door. It was here when we moved in. Not sure if the previous owners added it or bought it with the door. I have seen them at Lowes.
What you have is called an atrium door unit. And some manufacturers did have frames that would accomadate a sliding screen panel.

OP- A regular French door unit won't accept a sliding screen panel- except for some semi-major adaptation. The retractable type is the most practical.

Old 05-02-2012, 07:58 PM

4,918 posts, read 22,673,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by K'ledgeBldr View Post
What you have is called an atrium door unit. And some manufacturers did have frames that would accomadate a sliding screen panel.

OP- A regular French door unit won't accept a sliding screen panel- except for some semi-major adaptation. The retractable type is the most practical.
I have a major name french door I bought at one of the national home improvement stores and they had a screen kit. It was only for the doors that swung in and couldn;t be used on those that swung out. But it had the sliding screen doors, a track that installs to the top of the door frame and a track system that is attached to the threshold/sill and the doors slide on that. Not all the doors had that but some do.

Old 05-03-2012, 04:29 AM

5,035 posts, read 9,219,847 times
In our last house, we had doors like these custom made. Since they're also security doors, we were able to leave our French doors open to allow air in, without having to worry about them being open. For a small additional amount, we had them add tempered glass to the inside lower 1/3 or so of each door. They assured us our dogs couldn't make holes in the screen, but we felt better with glass covering the lower section.

Old 05-03-2012, 07:27 AM

18,462 posts, read 31,617,011 times
I don't understand why the manufactures of these doors just don't include screens.

How do they expect people to open the doors for air, without a screen?
I know it is obviously possible, but people have little children, pets, that they don't want to go out, or little critters from coming in.

It just doesn't make sense. Make the door, and include a screen.

Old 05-03-2012, 09:23 AM

2,884 posts, read 5,639,216 times
I have phantom (Retractable Screens by Phantom — Retractable screens for doors, windows and large openings) retractable screens, which are the Cadillac of retractable screens. I had one installed on two regular 36" doors several years ago and I love them..!.
Last year I has two French doors installed and they had an option of retractable screens which were less than half the price of Phantom, so I went for the factory option..
The ones that came as an option are absolute junk compared to Phantom. I plan to spring for the big bucks and dump the ones that came with the doors. You get what you pay for.
They come in all sizes, you can even get a screen for your double garage door if you can come up with the coin. Phantom is expensive but worth it. Check out the site....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House