Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-04-2010, 02:52 PM

99 posts, read 317,719 times

Advertisements

Our new (to us) house is in a cold climate. We have a large jetted tub in the master bath and two 50 gallon propane heaters in the garage. There's also an instant on hot water pump.

As I see it, though propane is cheaper than electric to heat water with, we have two heaters down there, losing heat. I think gas heaters have a higher heat loss than electric due to the chimney. There's also two standing pilots and, that pump is constantly turning hot water into warm and pushing it back into the tank for further heat loss.

The tanks are plummed in series and the pump returns the warm water to the cold side of the first tank. One heater would do the trick for us 95% of the time. The second is only needed to support the hot tub. There's only two of us unless we have visitors. We like the instant-on pump and want to keep it. The master bath is the farthest plumbing fixture from the heaters, naturally. It took a full eight minutes to blow the air out of the cold side when we de-winterized. It would take that long or more to get hot water in the morning without the pump.

Here's my thoughts please comment:

1>I'm proposing to move the pump to the second tank, therefore the water in the first tank would not circulate unless there was user demand.

2>I'm proposing to set the first tank to vacation or off, just leaving the pilot for convenience. It would be just be a wide spot in the supply pipe most of the time, unless I kicked it on in anticipation of a bubble in the tub or we had visitors.

3>I'm considering putting the instant-on pump on some sort of timer. We only need the instant on feature first thing in the morning. It would be nice if it came on just before wake up and just before bed time. The rest of the time there's no need to circulate water that I can think of.

Do you guys think we'd see any savings in propane with this strategy?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House