Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-10-2009, 02:46 PM

17,029 posts, read 30,925,220 times

Advertisements

How difficult is it for a housing contractor- (yardwork, lighting, cement, cable/satellite, cleaning, interior design, flooring, etc.) to show up on time to do work...or even worse to do an estimate on a project? In this era of cell phones and PDAs, I have a hard time believing someone cant contact you if they are running late. I understand that they are on jobs throughout the day, and the potential to run late is there. I can accept 30 minutes without a call, but there is little excuse for missing a 10am or 3pm (or any time) appointment by 2 hours without a call. Where is the professionalism...and in todays recessionary environment, I thought people were looking for work???

If I take a day off work and expect someone at my house by 830am and they dont show till 10...WTF??? I should get 1.5 hours of MY TIME deducted from the bill. It 'stinks' being in a smaller town where there are not a lot of contracting options.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2009, 03:01 PM

24,832 posts, read 37,344,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oildog View Post
How difficult is it for a housing contractor- (yardwork, lighting, cement, cable/satellite, cleaning, interior design, flooring, etc.) to show up on time to do work...or even worse to do an estimate on a project? In this era of cell phones and PDAs, I have a hard time believing someone cant contact you if they are running late. I understand that they are on jobs throughout the day, and the potential to run late is there. I can accept 30 minutes without a call, but there is little excuse for missing a 10am or 3pm (or any time) appointment by 2 hours without a call. Where is the professionalism...and in todays recessionary environment, I thought people were looking for work???

If I take a day off work and expect someone at my house by 830am and they dont show till 10...WTF??? I should get 1.5 hours of MY TIME deducted from the bill. It 'stinks' being in a smaller town where there are not a lot of contracting options.
I agree! That is why I return phone calls and keep in contact with my customers.

Old 04-10-2009, 03:04 PM

6,196 posts, read 5,444,432 times
This is an age old problem, it is called lack of common courtisy. And there is no excuse for it especially in this day and age. If they can not call what are the chance that once hired they will show and finish on time?

Old 04-10-2009, 04:14 PM

5,615 posts, read 14,793,059 times
When you DIY and the contractor shows up late... Then you've got real problems!

Really though, it was a horrible problem for my parents when they remodled. The lady that did the finish did a great job but she was a total flake. It was a crapshoot if she'd actually show up at all.

Old 04-10-2009, 05:24 PM

Location: where nothin ever grows. no rain or rivers flow, TX
2,028 posts, read 8,121,369 times
i believed their called siestas

Old 04-10-2009, 06:28 PM

18,949 posts, read 43,612,080 times
Quote:
It 'stinks' being in a smaller town where there are not a lot of contracting options.
Oh I know how you feel. Most of these guys know you have nobody else to call, they feel like THEY are the boss.

Old 04-11-2009, 07:15 AM

841 posts, read 4,839,976 times
Quote:

OMG, amen to that! I've been in the same situation as you and it's completely disrespectful of service people to treat their potential clients like that. What are they thinking? To get a contractor's license or any other kind, the state should require they complete a business ethics course!

Old 04-11-2009, 08:43 AM

10,447 posts, read 49,658,815 times
I agree too. But before I put down my fellow contractors I want to ask this: When the cable TV company tells you 10AM and does not show till 4PM, does anyone complain? Nope. They never call.

Now......I'm in peoples houses every day. All I hear is that I was the only one to show...and on time. How hard is that I wonder. Yes in this economic depression you would think people would be tying to bang down your door before the appt just to get work. But nope!! Why I dont know. But one thing is for sure, if that is any indication of what kind of work they do then good riddance to them.

Here is a rule I followed for my 30 + years in the biz. If your going to be late, call. Bad news is better then no news. Just tell the customer you will be late. If something went wrong, tell them. They will appreaciate you in the end and the honesty factor pays dividends for many many years in the form of referrals.

After all these years when I get a call saying I did their kitchen 10 years ago and they just bought a new home and need my cabinets again I get tingles inside. People never forget honesty and craftsmanship. Something I rarely see anymore. It's the American way.....do as little as you can for the most money you can extort.

Old 04-11-2009, 08:52 AM

17,029 posts, read 30,925,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertsun41 View Post
I agree too. But before I put down my fellow contractors I want to ask this: When the cable TV company tells you 10AM and does not show till 4PM, does anyone complain? Nope. They never call.

Now......I'm in peoples houses every day. All I hear is that I was the only one to show...and on time. How hard is that I wonder. Yes in this economic depression you would think people would be tying to bang down your door before the appt just to get work. But nope!! Why I dont know. But one thing is for sure, if that is any indication of what kind of work they do then good riddance to them.

Here is a rule I followed for my 30 + years in the biz. If your going to be late, call. Bad news is better then no news. Just tell the customer you will be late. If something went wrong, tell them. They will appreaciate you in the end and the honesty factor pays dividends for many many years in the form of referrals.

After all these years when I get a call saying I did their kitchen 10 years ago and they just bought a new home and need my cabinets again I get tingles inside. People never forget honesty and craftsmanship. Something I rarely see anymore. It's the American way.....do as little as you can for the most money you can extort.
I agree with most of this post. I have called back contractors that did what they said and were on time, or called if late...and it happens. But I have bitched out the cable/satellite guy (to no avail)...but then again not too bad because I dont expect a lot out of them and rarely to they work for the cable provider, they just have the box I need. Customer service goes a long way to repeat business.

Old 04-11-2009, 11:59 AM

1,817 posts, read 6,859,728 times
I will complain if I have an appt and I get a no show or a late, late show with no call. There is no excuse. I would never hire a contractor who did not call or show or who wasn't concerned with being on time. I live in a small town and believe me most of the businesses aren't in a big hurry. That's ok, if I've called and they don't have time for me I move on until I find someone who does. I'd rather pay a little more and know the person doing the job has pride and is interested in doing a good job. I don't have a problem taking business out of town.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House