Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-01-2009, 12:00 AM

3,020 posts, read 25,728,087 times

Advertisements

Skunka2 and the Upset Consumer are both newbies. But they have the same message in their first post within a few hours of each other.

Do you think they might actually work for USG???

Or did one of them happen to get fired from USG???

And I thought it was safe to come out tonight after getting bottled water at the store. Now I find out not only will the olde Killer copper get me but I can not trust that drywall I put in the bedroom. It is not safe anywhere any more.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-01-2009, 07:36 AM

10,447 posts, read 49,643,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cosmic View Post
Skunka2 and the Upset Consumer are both newbies. But they have the same message in their first post within a few hours of each other.

Do you think they might actually work for USG???

Or did one of them happen to get fired from USG???

And I thought it was safe to come out tonight after getting bottled water at the store. Now I find out not only will the olde Killer copper get me but I can not trust that drywall I put in the bedroom. It is not safe anywhere any more.
Either or is probably correct. There is no such thing as faulty USG gyspum. It comes out of the ground in a natural state and is simply sandwiched between paper. America does not add poison like the Chinese do.

Like ya said, it's just another one hit one post wonder who will never come back to read the responses to their senseless post.

Old 07-01-2009, 08:04 AM

Default Not all the USG gypsum might come out of the ground

Some of their gypsum is probably coming as a byproduct from power plant scrubbers in Texas. Martin Lake Station was the first and apparently they finally did get it to make quality gypsum good enough to sell. I worked on Martin Lake design. They did have problems initially getting the right quality but apparently that did get solved. Lots of other changes over the years.

Tyler Paper - Tyler Morning Telegraph

Way down in that article is the statement.

Seventy rail cars a week haul limestone into the plant for its six scrubbers that spray limestone slurry on coal-burning exhaust to deplete it of sulfur dioxide. The chemical reaction creates calcium sulfate, or gypsum, which is sold to companies that produce wallboard and other materials.

I doubt there is a problem with it. Might be better quality than the virgin mined gypsum. The only big question what is them dudes agenda? O' no not that tricky game of being something else than represented. Probably first time that ever happened around here.

Sounds like other plants also make gypsum via their scrubbers. But the American QC is going to be darn good. Maybe they actually got fired from Martin Lake, caught sleeping on the job. Some supervisor on a bike saw them in a corner and thought they had keeled over from Radon after drinking some water out of a fountain supplied with Killer copper. Such is the World as we find it.

Old 07-03-2009, 02:24 PM

9 posts, read 47,323 times
American sheetrock is also faulty. Do your research. Our sheetrock is not chinese and it has tested and proven to have excess sulfur levels. We also have all the visable proof of corosion and wiring. Appliances going out and severe, I mean severe health problems. Don't bash someone who is experiencing hell in their life when you don't have a clue about this problem other than what you have read. Not just a one hit one post wonder!!!!!

Old 07-03-2009, 02:31 PM

any of you who think you are so damn smart want to experience this first hand. Anyone can come to my affected home and learn a little about this situation. I don't work for USG but am working with them to resolve this issue. Wake up!!! America isn't perfect!

Old 07-03-2009, 05:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by upset consumer View Post
American sheetrock is also faulty. Do your research. Our sheetrock is not chinese and it has tested and proven to have excess sulfur levels. We also have all the visable proof of corosion and wiring. Appliances going out and severe, I mean severe health problems. Don't bash someone who is experiencing hell in their life when you don't have a clue about this problem other than what you have read. Not just a one hit one post wonder!!!!!
I did as you said. I did my research. I searched and searched and searched every possible key word trying to find something anything, even a hint of faulty American sheetrock as well as researching your brand. I searched my trusted trade journals too. Nothing.

Unless you can provide us something anything, I call foul. Who did your testing? You? I hardly feel your private testing counts.

You have Chinese drywall in your home. Why deny it?

Old 07-03-2009, 05:20 PM

6,218 posts, read 7,726,480 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by upset consumer View Post

I understand that you are upset, and I am not attempting to make you more so. There is a very long, detailed, and extensive thread on this subject, that was started back in December when the news of Chinese drywall first broke, here in SW Florida. And has had extensive updates and lots of pertinent information there. It is posted in the Florida/ Fort Myers/Cape Coral section of the forum. Titled "Chinese drywall in your SW Florida home..."

The most recent threads speak of cross contamination caused by the outgassing. Furniture, carpeting, clothing, even the foundations, studs, and block, including OTHER DRYWALL, that was likely NOT of the offending variety to begin with, is likely contaminated by the chinese stuff. ANYTHING that has a porous surface, will be impregnated by the gas coming from the Chinese drywall.

If you believe your american made drywall is causing a problem for you, I would say dig deeper into your home, you may find some of the chinese stuff hidden in there somewhere. Also note that there were/are many older homes, that have been remodeled, or that were damaged in Hurricanes in recent years, that have had repairs made with this stuff. The same problems will pop up in those older homes, that never had this stuff in them from the day were built. If you move from your contaminated home, DO NOT take your furnishings, etc with you. As you may find you simply contaminate your new dwelling. Research is still ongoing on this, but what has presented thus far seems to be a likely scenario.

Regardless, I wish you the best of luck in getting the situation sorted out. Above all, protect your health, as newer information is forthcoming almost every day, it appears there are symptoms coming to the attention of the EPA and others concerning this.......Again, many good links, and tons of reliable info in that Fort Myers thread...

Last edited by Compression; 07-03-2009 at 05:32 PM..

Old 07-03-2009, 06:13 PM

Default How do you know it is USG?????

Sorry to hear you are in this pickle but you left a bunch out of the tale.

How do you know it is USG, did you hang it yourself? Doubt the USA sheetrock is defective in any manner. QC is just too good, plus it is checked way too many times.

Yachtcare might have some of the explanation if that Chinese carp is that bad to contaminate even good prior hung USA drywall.

If USG their name will be on the back of the sheet. I used USG in my house, zero problems, still got some out in the garage. Had a look at it, looks, smells, feels like the good stuff.

I would be sure of what I was claiming. There is a lot you left out in telling us about how defective USG is. Most of those sheets have a batch number somewhere. It may be built into the barcode. Surely they can track where and when their product was made.

How are you so sure it is only USG in your house and not some of that Chinese carp either as the whole or in part? Can you actually prove the USG drywall is defective???

American manufacturers do not just make stuff. All of their inputs are QC'd prior to manufacture, in the case of gypsum probably prior to unloading, during the storage process, prior to being used, during and after manufacture. In the case of in Texas, if they got anything of the power plant byproduct that would be QC'd the same in the power plant. During the production, prior to shipment and during loading. Everybody has traceably built in as pretty much a standard. Too many lawyers around.

So I find it pretty incredible that a US manufacturer would ever have anything out the door remotely like some of that Chinese crap.

Would be interesting to have you fill in the details of exactly how you know it is USG. All those sheets have all the standards they must meet also stamped on the back. They take the stuff seriously. A claim does not the case make. I'm sure the USA manufacturers have heighten their awareness of these issues once the news broke about the Chinese problems. Having them also fail to meet product standards in that environment doesn't make sense to me. Just not how they operate.

Old 07-03-2009, 06:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yachtcare View Post
I understand that you are upset, and I am not attempting to make you more so. There is a very long, detailed, and extensive thread on this subject, that was started back in December when the news of Chinese drywall first broke, here in SW Florida. And has had extensive updates and lots of pertinent information there. It is posted in the Florida/ Fort Myers/Cape Coral section of the forum. Titled "Chinese drywall in your SW Florida home..."

The most recent threads speak of cross contamination caused by the outgassing. Furniture, carpeting, clothing, even the foundations, studs, and block, including OTHER DRYWALL, that was likely NOT of the offending variety to begin with, is likely contaminated by the chinese stuff. ANYTHING that has a porous surface, will be impregnated by the gas coming from the Chinese drywall.

If you believe your american made drywall is causing a problem for you, I would say dig deeper into your home, you may find some of the chinese stuff hidden in there somewhere. Also note that there were/are many older homes, that have been remodeled, or that were damaged in Hurricanes in recent years, that have had repairs made with this stuff. The same problems will pop up in those older homes, that never had this stuff in them from the day were built. If you move from your contaminated home, DO NOT take your furnishings, etc with you. As you may find you simply contaminate your new dwelling. Research is still ongoing on this, but what has presented thus far seems to be a likely scenario.

Regardless, I wish you the best of luck in getting the situation sorted out. Above all, protect your health, as newer information is forthcoming almost every day, it appears there are symptoms coming to the attention of the EPA and others concerning this.......Again, many good links, and tons of reliable info in that Fort Myers thread...

Good informative post !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 07-03-2009, 09:07 PM

We have done our research and have even contact USG. and yes we did hang all the sheetrock ourselves. We have found the codes on the back and verified the brand with the testing company that has been testing most of the sheetrock that has been coming out of Florida. I'm not posting this to prove a point. I am posting to provide information to this site about the American sheetrock too. You have no idea how much research and how many people we have discussed this with. We have all our duck in a row on this issue. If you can't find the American sheetrock info online, you are not as smart as you think. I am not exactly a computer junky that can find anything and I have found it. I will look up the sites after this posting and put the web addresses on here for you since you can't figure it out. This is information for the safety of other who may have this problem and don't know. This is not a black and white issue. Anyone not in a humid climate may be damaging their health and endangering their children and not even know it. Just to expain my situation very very very briefly...try explaining to your 3 year old who says many times a day..."I want to go home!" It's heart breaking.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House