Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-05-2009, 11:53 AM

230 posts, read 1,215,746 times

Advertisements

I guess that means it is really expensive! It does look really cool, though.

We've done similar research, and decided on the Azek decking. It is almost entirely PVC, with a very small amount of "flax" as a filler, but much better than your standard Trex composite, which has a lot of wood flour fillers that are responsible for trapping moisture and hence, mold and mildew. The Azek is about the same price, lighter, easier to drill/install, and much more stain and scratch resistant than the Trex, or wood for that matter.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-05-2009, 02:04 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,848,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZakAttack View Post
I guess that means it is really expensive! It does look really cool, though.

We've done similar research, and decided on the Azek decking. It is almost entirely PVC, with a very small amount of "flax" as a filler, but much better than your standard Trex composite, which has a lot of wood flour fillers that are responsible for trapping moisture and hence, mold and mildew. The Azek is about the same price, lighter, easier to drill/install, and much more stain and scratch resistant than the Trex, or wood for that matter.
I thnik the fact that trex is the preferred decking on the gulfcaost says alot about it. Bascially it is what the federal governamnt uses on those play grounds and the favored on docks. I have had mind for ten years wihth no problem.No mold and easy cleaning;wears great and not hollow sounding liike many of the non solid decking. The hard plastc also has nore expnsion and contraction besides that hollow sound.

Old 05-27-2009, 03:18 AM

1 posts, read 1,447 times
Default Options for deck replacements

If you are going to spend money to upgrade a decking from pressure treated to an alternative such as Composite or Plastic, consider this; most composite decking and plastic decking has limited warranties. Only one I am aware of has a commercial warranty which is Timber Tech. None of these products have been around long enough to be time tested, and some of the more recognized prouducts seem to have ongoing litigation due to one issue after another.

Ipe is my upgrade of choice. Ipe is a So. American hardwood (tabiebuia) and is proven to last 80 years without mold, cracking, cupping, warping, splintering, checking, or decay. It has oils in it which make it naturally resistant to rot and insect infestation.

Folks, I have been in the deck and dock business since 1980 in Florida. There is no such thing as maintenance free. Oh yes, some decking products require less maintenance than others and certainly the composites and plastics require less maintenance than pressure treated wood decking. Ipe does not require any maintenance "unless" you wish Ipe to maintain its original appearance. If not sealed with one of several products on the market designed for sealing So. American hardwoods. Ipe will turn silver/grey which represents oxidization on the surface. Pressure cleaning will bring the original color right back.

Ipe is a very dense hardwood and requires good skills and professional tools to install it correctly. I highly recommend you use a reputable deck or marine contractor to complete your installation. There is another up side to using Ipe. Framing for most composites and plastic deckings require
support every 16". A piece of 1" x 6" Ipe will span 30" with no support. 5/4" x 6" Ipe will span 48" with no support.

If you just have to have a composite deck, Timber Tech is my product of choice. Crane Plastics, the parent company has been in business since 1946.

Last edited by reloader; 05-27-2009 at 03:20 AM.. Reason: spelling

Old 05-31-2009, 01:57 PM

28,803 posts, read 47,694,717 times
Default This might be a bit late, but

this is what I had my deck treated with three years ago.

Environmentally Safe Sealing | Wood Strengthening Sealant | Masonry Protection System | Concrete Sealant Products | Wood Deck Protection | SealMaxx

I left it unstained because I get tired of having to redo it constantly so it is graying, and I like the color.

From what I've read you want to be cautious about local dealers, so if you look into it check with your BBB regarding the dealer in your area.

The product performs as advertised. The wood on our deck has remained a constant color across the entire deck, including rails and posts, and it is tough as can be. I have gotten into the habit of drilling pilot holes for screws and nails as it is very dense since the application. Nails have a tendency to bend rather than pierce the wood and screws are not easily driven into the wood.

I like the results.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House