Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-24-2009, 04:52 PM

196 posts, read 1,039,731 times

Advertisements

I purchased a window to see if I could do it. Here is my problem. This is supposed to be an easy vinyl window to replace. It is done from the inside of the house. Remove interior stops, middle stops, replace window, put back interior stops. My problem is that my window is an inch short of the distance between the exterior stop and interior stops/stool. Do I just take out the exterior stops and move them up an inch? That seems like my only option. How come they don't ask for the thickness of your windows? This particular window was a crestline 100 series from Menards.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2009, 07:52 PM

3,020 posts, read 25,777,243 times
Default The description is a bit fuzzy.........

But I assume the depth of the new window is off about an inch from the depth of the old window. Can happen, I have done tons of replacement windows and they do not all fit perfect. It is fairly common for the interior trim to either look ratty or the final fit up is sloppy, unless additional work / materials is done.

The options can be a bit tricky. Yes you could mill a spacer strip between the outside trim piece, (I guess what you are calling the exterior stop) and make it all sort of fit up that way. Part of it depends on what condition your interior trim pieces are in.

Pretty common for windows to be all dry rotted, trim, frames, etc. Many times it all should be replaced which can dramatically increase the costs. You have the most control doing it all yourself. One tricky part can be finding suitable trim for a reasonable price. If wood it has to be pretty good quality and straight grained. Not cheap, even if you can get it. What we used to do was save old demo'd things like the joists out of houses, porches, etc that were fir out of the primary forest. Mill that up into trim, nobody really knew the difference and it cancelled the cost factor. That plastic crap really can look horrible in the wrong old house.

Just replacing the window is the easy part, getting it all to look nice can be a challenge. With them contractor dudes, you get 10 - 15 minutes a window and that puppy is going in there no matter the conditions. Caulking can become a structural material in some cases. Anything in terms of trim is extra and it may not come cheap.

Every job is different and you have to scope out what is the best solution. Many times it does call for some basic carpentry skills and additional materials to get it right. I would think a spacer strip on the outside to make up whatever difference might be the way to start. Hopefully if done right the installation has a nice apperance.

On many houses to really get a quality job on replacement windows you pull all the trim around the window, maybe even replace plaster, it has a way of rotting around the window about a foot and doing a total rebuild, including replacing whatever is required. Many windows leak like crazy around the frames, entire window bay area, only a good rip out can get in there and do a quality insulation job, find all the dry rot, air leaks, etc. Usually you also want to schedule a nice total paint job, buff and clean up as part of the window replacement to really get the best installations. Something that few contractors actually do, it is more a slap and promise type thing.

So DIY is a good way to go, if you understand what to do. Only way you can usually get a quality job for decent money.

Old 04-24-2009, 09:05 PM

Thanks cosmic for the input. I tried to give you some reputation points, but apparently I gave you some for another question I had.

I don't know why I never thought to check, or why I was not asked, on the thickness of my windows. Maybe I will just put in a spacer strip on the outside like you said. The interior trim is in really good condition.

The rest of the windows I order will be thicker.

Old 04-27-2009, 10:04 AM

8,286 posts, read 38,868,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwhittak View Post
Thanks cosmic for the input. I tried to give you some reputation points, but apparently I gave you some for another question I had.

I don't know why I never thought to check, or why I was not asked, on the thickness of my windows. Maybe I will just put in a spacer strip on the outside like you said. The interior trim is in really good condition.

The rest of the windows I order will be thicker.
Hammerzone.com will often have some decent walkthroughs, like this one: Window Replacement: Remove An Old Wood Window From An Old House

...but keep in mind that this website is like Wikipedia, any yahoo can post any kind of screwed up job that he wants. I use it to get ideas about a project that I haven't done before. Just about any mistake you can make DIY'ing your remodel has been made countless times before. Sometimes that wisdom finds its way onto the internet, saving you the trouble.

Old 04-28-2009, 03:32 PM

Thanks jimboburnsy. I have add that site to my favorites.

Old 04-28-2009, 08:02 PM

18,951 posts, read 43,850,481 times
I replaced all of the windows in my rental house last year and I had to add new wood trim on all of the windows. I used 1x4's and used a router to make a decorative edge.

Old 04-30-2009, 05:54 PM

30,701 posts, read 80,144,345 times
You need to get slef-rplacing windows. They save a lot of work.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House